Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low 2 Hour Oly Nutrition Plan - Complex Carbs or Simple Sugars
Quote | Reply
Hi Team. It's been a while since racing last. Wondering what has come along (if anything) in the last 8 years. Anyone have recommendation / web article on a quick read on 'fueling' for each race distance???

Used to do more Irons and 1/2s. Wondering if for oly's one should aim for more simple sugars (I like the scratch labs drink - mostly fructose) or shoot for something that has more 'Maltodextrin'. The former seems to go down easier.... Now I generally drink Scratch or EFS or Infinit or Heed... sometimes Maurten (is nice but tasteless... which at times is a plus). Trying to understand the science of what is better and why for each distance so that I train more with the appropriate product. I always aimed for more Maltodextrin based products for longer races. However, simple sugars seem to go down easier, but I feel flat at times later on....

just curious.... thanks

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: Low 2 Hour Oly Nutrition Plan - Complex Carbs or Simple Sugars [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is maltodextrin is actually the fastest blood sugar response.

So if you're going for faster Oly performance you'd want some components of that for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Low 2 Hour Oly Nutrition Plan - Complex Carbs or Simple Sugars [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I highly recommend the channel. If you want to go down the malto rabbit hole, I’m sure Alex has something about it as well.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Low 2 Hour Oly Nutrition Plan - Complex Carbs or Simple Sugars [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting......

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why overcomplicate this? Olympic tri even in super hot usually a single bottle of Gatorade on bike is enough. The hotter is gets just add some table salt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for low 2 hr, you don't need nutrition.. a bottle of something on the bike, that's it. I would be surprised to find a measurable difference between simple and complex carbs in that time frame and effort level.
I used to like a 50/50 mix of Coke and water, gets sugar and caffeine in an isotonic solution. Tried Maurten on my last Oly as that takes me 3 hours these days, did not like it much, tasted flat and sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: Low 2 Hour Oly Nutrition Plan - Complex Carbs or Simple Sugars [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
for low 2 hr, you don't need nutrition.. a bottle of something on the bike, that's it. I would be surprised to find a measurable difference between simple and complex carbs in that time frame and effort level.
I used to like a 50/50 mix of Coke and water, gets sugar and caffeine in an isotonic solution. Tried Maurten on my last Oly as that takes me 3 hours these days, did not like it much, tasted flat and sweet.

seems many make the assumption that all triathletes are whip thin and super fit, and that's just not true. in which case, something more than a bike bottle is needed. Alex Harrison of this forum has laid out some good info, taking all of that into account. simply attempting to help the op.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply