Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Louisville swim
Quote | Reply
Any word on the water quality? Two weeks to go I would think it would be fine, but haven't heard anything since Florence. As bad as Chattanooga sounded can't be good
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville swim [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a group that swims every sunday morning, starting in the channel, but I believe it was cancelled this week due to super fast current and debris on Saturday evening. Today the current is about 3 mph. My guess is it will be fine by race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville swim [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the Louisville swim generally compare to a swim like Chattanooga or a lake swim like CDA? Obviously it will depend on current but I'm just trying to get a general idea of what to expect. I did Chattanooga in 2015 and swam 11 minutes faster than my best swim in a lake. I'm thinking it wouldn't be as fast as Chattanooga generally is but would be interested to hear what others have done compared to other courses. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville swim [peteV262] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am usually a 1:01 swimmer in an IM with wetsuit (I have 4 times 1h01 out of 7 wetsuit IM's);

I swam about 3' faster at IMLOU in 2016 (few seconds under 58'), on a light swim training year (shoulder issues); Hope that gives you an idea!

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMOU last year and I also think it's probably about 3' faster than a lake swim. I also swam a 58.

It was pretty dark at the start but I had no problem following the people in front of me and by the time I got to the turn buoy the sun was up and I enjoyed the swim.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peteV262 wrote:
How does the Louisville swim generally compare to a swim like Chattanooga or a lake swim like CDA? Obviously it will depend on current but I'm just trying to get a general idea of what to expect. I did Chattanooga in 2015 and swam 11 minutes faster than my best swim in a lake. I'm thinking it wouldn't be as fast as Chattanooga generally is but would be interested to hear what others have done compared to other courses. Thanks

It really just depends on how much the water is flowing. I have come out at Louisville (non-wetsuit) anywhere from 48 to 53, and where my normal Ironman (wetuit) swim would be more like 53-54

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peteV262 wrote:

My previous fastest swim was at CDA and swam 59

Last year at Lou, swam 54. I thought the current was pretty significant, but not like Chatty.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville swim [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like 3-5 minutes is the consensus. Thank you to all those that replied..
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville swim [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard and read that the Louisville swim is pretty bad. I'm guessing in reality it's not really that bad since you swim there every Sunday. What's the swim really like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTranquilli wrote:
Any word on the water quality? Two weeks to go I would think it would be fine, but haven't heard anything since Florence. As bad as Chattanooga sounded can't be good

Florence was a non-player in the Ohio Valley but it was a very wet September. The Ohio was up and really fast (pushing 3 mph) earlier in the week, but it's coming down and should be close to normal pool by this Friday, with a good week for water quality to come back in line.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville swim [MikeyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeyG wrote:
I've heard and read that the Louisville swim is pretty bad. I'm guessing in reality it's not really that bad since you swim there every Sunday. What's the swim really like?

I guess it depends on what people are used to. To me, it's not bad at all. You can't see in front of you under water but who cares. If there is a lot of rain upstream, it will bring debris down stream to L'ville that may take a few days to clear. Most of the IMLou swim is downstream so any current issues are a net positive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTranquilli wrote:

Chattanooga rainfall had nothing to do with Florence. They had roughly 6 inches of rain in the Tennessee Valley Monday-Thursday of race week.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water is disgusting. It's so dark you can't see your arms past your elbows. Doesn't matter if you wear clear or dark goggles -- when your head is down it may as well be midnight. My advice -- don't swallow any. And skip the day-before shakeout swim if there is any chance you'll swallow some.

I did IM Louisville in 2009. About 6 hours after my practice swim the morning before the race, I clearly got sick from the water (accidentally swallowed a gulp). By late afternoon, I was puking my guts up. Barfing and explosive diarrhea until about 3 AM. Somehow managed to hold a couple Ensures down the few hours before the race. Nothing like lining up to an Ironman on a humid 95 degree day already dehydrated. I took my time and finished the race. Stopped 3 or 4 times to crap. Fortunately had some TP in my special needs bags to wipe the explosive diarrhea of my legs. The hot, exposed run damn near killed me.

I did Chatty 70.3 this year. Chatty water is an alpine lake in comparison. And IM Canada water (an actual alpine lake) is like swimming in unicorn tears.

P.S. (edit) IM Louisville is a great race though. I'd do it again, especially not that it's in Oct. Great race. I just got unlucky and made for one hell of an Ironman debut. Good luck man.
Last edited by: wintershade: Oct 4, 18 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville swim [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
The water is disgusting. It's so dark you can't see your arms past your elbows. Doesn't matter if you wear clear or dark goggles -- when your head is down it may as well be midnight. My advice -- don't swallow any. And skip the day-before shakeout swim if there is any chance you'll swallow some.

I did IM Louisville in 2009. About 6 hours after my practice swim the morning before the race, I clearly got sick from the water (accidentally swallowed a gulp). By late afternoon, I was puking my guts up. Barfing and explosive diarrhea until about 3 AM. Somehow managed to hold a couple Ensures down the few hours before the race. Nothing like lining up to an Ironman on a humid 95 degree day already dehydrated. I took my time and finished the race. Stopped 3 or 4 times to crap. Fortunately had some TP in my special needs bags to wipe the explosive diarrhea of my legs. The hot, exposed run damn near killed me.

I did Chatty 70.3 this year. Chatty water is an alpine lake in comparison. And IM Canada water (an actual alpine lake) is like swimming in unicorn tears.

P.S. (edit) IM Louisville is a great race though. I'd do it again, especially not that it's in Oct. Great race. I just got unlucky and made for one hell of an Ironman debut. Good luck man.

Did IMLOU in 2012 and 2014. My stomach has not been the same since. It is a fun race though.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Current (haha) water conditions in the Mighty Ohio River, just upstream from the swim course:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ky/nwis/uv?cb_all_=on&cb_00011=on&cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&cb_72255=on&cb_72294=on&cb_99264=on&format=gif_default&site_no=03292494&period=&begin_date=2018-09-17&end_date=2018-09-24

Quote Reply