Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looser fitting installation AND low rolling resistance tires- for tubeless rims?
Quote | Reply
I have a new wheel, design has been around since 2018, and I want to run it with a tire and latex tube. I'm looking for suggestions of:

1) daily riding tires, mixed surface condition, with low rolling resistance and durability. My go to tire- Continental 5000 (not the tubeless version) is too tight to get on (I've tried 700x23 and 700x25), or if i get it on, it would be a total bear to change out in the wild. Are Continental 5000s TL easier to install versus 5000 or similar (even though I still would be using an innertube)?

2) race tire- still would like to change it out in the wild, if needed to, but more of a focus on lower rolling resistance and less on higher mileage durability.

What should I look at these days- anything in the lower portion of the below chart meets the above? I'm a fairly accomplished tire installer, and never had issues with tires, until now.

The rim is a Zipp 808 NSW tubeless. I have several Zipp 202 NSW and 404 NSW tubeless rims, from what I believe the same design refresh, and I can get the Continental 5000 on without too much trouble. Definitely install friendly (enough) at home and fixable in the wild. Previous design non-tubeless NSW zipps were *much* easier to install- fingers only.

Thanks,
wetswimmer99

Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Feb 13, 21 18:42
Quote Reply
Re: Looser fitting installation AND low rolling resistance tires- for tubeless rims? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd consider the Michelin Power TT for a racing tire. I've had zero problems with them in front and rear during the couple of races I did last year. As easy to mount as anything considering it's not tubeless compatible at all. I probably have 250 miles on my pair and I wouldn't hesitate to keep riding them. Plus they're a good deal cheaper than the Corsa Speeds.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Feb 13, 21 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Looser fitting installation AND low rolling resistance tires- for tubeless rims? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the racing suggestion. I’ll pick one up.
Quote Reply
Re: Looser fitting installation AND low rolling resistance tires- for tubeless rims? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Conti GP5000 TL (TL = Tubeless) is WAY worse to get on than a regular non-TL gp 5000 from my experience of 4 tyres and 6 wheels.
I've ended up with 23mm gp5000 non tubeless tyres onto non tubeless rims + latex tubes for race day (I'm on an older TT bike so limited to narrower rims so far until I get a new bike).

And gone to PIrelli P Zero tubeless on the tubeless DT swiss rims wheels on the everyday road bike, as a compromise on rolling resistance and puncture resistance whilst having a fighting chance of installing a tube in the wild if needed. (Only just got them so no experience on longevity yet)
Quote Reply
Re: Looser fitting installation AND low rolling resistance tires- for tubeless rims? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I'd consider the Michelin Power TT for a racing tire. I've had zero problems with them in front and rear during the couple of races I did last year. As easy to mount as anything considering it's not tubeless compatible at all. I probably have 250 miles on my pair and I wouldn't hesitate to keep riding them. Plus they're a good deal cheaper than the Corsa Speeds.

I installed the Michelin Power TT. It was super easy to mount and to remove. Thanks again for the suggestion!
Quote Reply