Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments.
Quote | Reply
Jumped in the pool with the kids wearing my Garmin, which is apparently NOT waterproof. I thought it was, but it disagreed. Anyway, I bricked it, so I guess I’ll be doing Muncie 70.3 with no instruments.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plenty of time to get a replacement, no?
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be surprised at how many people do this 'by accident.'

At least with my Garmin 920xt and before, once you set your watch to 'multisport' mode for full triathlon race timing, it's horrifyingly easy to accidentally hit the wrong button at some point during the race, or forget to hit a button in/out of transition. Next thing you know, you have no idea how far you've gone on the bike or run course, as you didn't get the segment started appropriately.

And HRMs often get confused or just don't work for large stretches of the race esp after salty open water swims.

I've lost connection with my powertap in two separate races due to interference by other Garmins in transition as well.

Happens to a lot, but you still have plenty of time to either get a new device, or to be well prepared with a regular stopwatch to eyeball your rough times as you pass the markers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
which Garmin was it? I just assumed they were all waterproof
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only IM to this point my bike Garmin and 920xt both died in the race and my power meter flaked on me. As it was my first IM I was paranoid about pacing and underbiked for sure
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i used my garmin 920xt swimming for the first time last week and now its got water in the display. annoying as i've been using it only for bike/run/ski, but thought, oh, it has a swim mode, lets try it.

seems it is actually not OK in water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin sports watches such as the 920, the 935, and the Fenix line are definitely supposed to be waterproof... I've done countless pool sets and open water swimming with my 920XT. If you get water inside one or if it bricked after going in a pool, then call Garmin customer service in your area.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have also done countless swims with my 920xt and knock on wood. No problems. I’d be on the horn with Garmin asap and explaining what happened. They are advertised as waterproof for obvious reasons and a dip in the pool shouldn’t hurt it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When setting up my bike in transition morning of the Tremblant 70.3 a bit over a week ago I realized I left my Garmin Edge back at the house. First time I’ve ever done that. Total rookie mistake.

I was able to use my watch but the only fields I had were 3s power, time, distance, heart rate (you can only change the fields on a Suunto online). Plus it’s not as easy to glance at the watch while in aero. So not totally blind but tough to pace with only current power.

Managed a 2:21 going mostly by feel which isn’t too bad, but I wonder if I could have gone sub-2:20 with more informed pacing.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a forerunner 35, which isn’t a “swim mode” model.

While it was sitting in my car, I started taking off the screen protector (the screen protector was chipped and I wanted to take a good picture), and the whole screen popped out.

I don’t think it’s supposed todo that.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 4, 18 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check your PM's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

FYI,

Flying while blind also means: driving intoxicated.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flying while blind also means the flight instructor covered all my instruments with cardboard cutouts. ;)

Yep FR 35 is not submersible. Not sure why the glue failed that held the display cover. That should not happen due to mere water exposure. You could stay mum regarding water and just ask for replacement because the display cover fell out. It'd be a legit warranty claim. Glue does not fail just because the parts surrounding it got wet.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At my first IM (LP in ‘06) I didn’t want my PT LYC head unit to get wet overnight, so I had it in my pocket instead.
Forgot to put it on the bike, didn’t realize until was running out of T1.

I ended up riding faster than I had expected/planned, and with very minimal positive splitting on the 2nd lap, on my way to a KQ.

Trust your training.
Your brain is the most powerful piece of computing equipment you’ll ever ride or run with.

Oh, and call Garmin. Tomorrow.
They are VERY good about replacing stuff when it does south -
worst case, you’ll get a refurb model for $50-$100 and have it back in a week or so.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a swimmer. You know how to pace with just feel and no metrics other than knowing your body and how to meter out energy over the duration so that you arrive at the finish line on empty. Whether you are doing the 200 fly or a 70.3 the proess the same....your 8 lengths of 200 fly divide out like this

Leg 1: 1.9K swim, you get for free just like first 25m of 200 fly
Leg 2: Bike first quarter. You can get this for free but you can start overcooking it already just like 25-50m in the 200 fly
Leg 3: Bike second quarter...don't dig yourself a hole and hold back....you're barely at 75 meters
Leg 4: Bike second half....OK now you're starting to respect the event...barely coming into 100m....you have HALF of the stupid thing left after T2
Leg 5: Run first quarter Do I really still have half of this stupid race to go. I MAY be in trouble
Leg 6: Run second quarter....where did that Gorilla show up from and why is he picking up a grand piano while riding me
Leg 7: OK if I can just get through this with the grand Piano while getting at some oxygen, maybe I can make it.....run third quarter in the real pain cave
Leg 8: I don't car how many pianos I have to carry on my back, there are virgins at the gateway to heaven at the finish line after this stupid thing is done

So that's all you need.....70.3, 200 fly, no instruments needed, same psychology...same deal for running in the mile over 8x200m....do I have it covered?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a good thing that:
You know the length of each leg, and presumably have trained for each segment and the sum of the totals appropriately. If you forget what race you're in, just look down at your bib, which will indicate that it's a 70.3.
The race map shows where the aid stations are, and each aid station is marked with a mileage/km marker so that, you know, you will know how far you've gone.
The course is marked with signs and cones to show your where to go.
The run has mile/km markers every... mile or km or both.

All snark aside, and I apologize for making light of your first-world problems, good luck, have fun, and enjoy the journey (if you aren't at a loss for knowing exactly where you are).
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STers are da bomb!

A few guys have reached out with offers to help a brother out, and it’s really appreciated. I wasn’t asking or expecting anything, just general griping, but the generosity of this community is fabulous.

Either that, or they wanna make sure I have a Garmin on my wrist for Muncie. I DO have double letters in my last name, after all. ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even my Garmin Swim is waterproof, which sort of blows my mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine used to fog up a bit occasionally which was a bit off-putting for a swim watch!

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! Everyone should be better at “going by feel.” You’re a swimmer first, right? Growing up, “data” in swimming was remembering all of your splits during practice on the analog clock. By the way, for anyone wondering where “on the top/bottom” comes from...this is where it comes from. The 0 is at the top, and the 30 is at the bottom of the clock face.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My flight instructor used to pop the door open on takeoff and jerk the engines to idle just for fun. I thought students were supposed to kill their instructors, not the other way around.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I’ll be flying blind, with no instruments. [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: going by feel.

Correct, being able to pace by feel is really important, and that’s essentially what I do anyway. The Garmin (for me) is the equivalent of the coach on deck with a stopwatch and taking your splits and counting your strokes for you.

But knowing where I am (time and distance wise) in a race is a nice bonus, particularly if the course is an unfamiliar one.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason, I am in Halifax and think I have a forerunner 305 you can borrow. Just let me know and I can dig it up.

Ed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason, if you're still looking for something to get you through the race I have a Garmin 910XT I can send your way.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well for once you won't just be a bag of meat on the bike.

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply