Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for inspiration: Old/Vintage frame with new parts
Quote | Reply
I'm highly considering buying an old Look bike where I don't have to restore decals, and just get Etap 11 or 12 speed plus some deep section wheels like a zipp 404 and replace the quill stem (adapter) and handlebars to something more modern.

Does anybody have that? Pics would be great!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for inspiration: Old/Vintage frame with new parts [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Pinarello Treviso frame that I was going to build up like this.

Just do it. I think you might have to have the rear dropouts bent out to accept a long axle length, but I could be mistaken.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for inspiration: Old/Vintage frame with new parts [radaddio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long axle length? What's the old standard?
I'm thinking nothing newer than zipp firecrests.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for inspiration: Old/Vintage frame with new parts [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
Long axle length? What's the old standard?
I'm thinking nothing newer than zipp firecrests.

when 8 speed came out, the axle width widened from 126 to 130mm standard. You can usually force it in, especially on steel frames. something like a cannondale would be harder, the old ones were really stiff. If you're talking about really old frames, they had a 120mm rear axle spacing. that might be a bit more difficult

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for inspiration: Old/Vintage frame with new parts [radaddio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
radaddio wrote:
I think you might have to have the rear dropouts bent out to accept a long axle length, but I could be mistaken.

Frames for 5-speed freewheels generally had 120mm spacing between the dropouts. Frames made for 6-speed and 7-speed freewheels generally used 126mm spacing. With 8-speed and the popularization of freehubs, that went to 130mm. It's usually possible to shove a 130mm wheel into a 126mm frame, but there are reasons to avoid doing this:
1-It's annoying when taking the wheel on and off.
2-By passively having tension in the rear triangle, the frame will be under more stress in use.
3-If the dropouts are aligned for 126mm, they'll be misaligned when the rear triangle is spread to 130mm. This will make for an inferior connection between hub and dropout, and it will also put weird angular stresses on the hub faces and axle that they weren't necessarily designed to deal with.

The ideal solution is to permanently cold-set (bend) the frameset to use the wider spacing. The process involves bending the stays apart to the new spacing, and then using a dropout alignment tool to re-align the dropouts. This is usually no problem for steel frames, but probably should not be attempted with aluminum frames, and would be totally impossible for carbon.

//===============================

Another potential issue is brake mounting. I'm not sure of the exact year range when the switch happened, but older bikes use a different mounting scheme for caliper brakes. On the old stuff, the brakes use a nutted axle that goes all the way through the fork crown or the rear brake bridge.
Here you can see the axle and nut on the back of the fork crown, and on the front of the rear brake bridge, opposite the respective brakes:

Modern brakes use a different scheme where the nut is recessed in the fork or brake bridge.
If you want to mount modern brakes on an older-style frame, you'll generally have to widen the drilling on side of the mount that the recessed nut goes into. Lots of people have done this with steel frames. Alternately, if you're happy with how the original brakes feel with your modern brake levers, you could just not worry about it.

//===============================

While 1 1/8" threadless stems are conveniently ubiquitous, most of them will look really chunky when paired with a skinny vintage headtube. If I was going for a classy and svelte-looking build, I'd probably check to see if there are any suitable quill stems that would look appropriate on the build. There are a few options out there with removable faceplates and 31.8mm clamps, too.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Apr 3, 20 10:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
radaddio wrote:
I have a Pinarello Treviso frame that I was going to build up like this.

Just do it. I think you might have to have the rear dropouts bent out to accept a long axle length, but I could be mistaken.

Jasoninhalifax's info about new frames is correct. And changing a steel frame from 126mm to 130mm rear dropout spacing is no problem, but this should be done carefully with the right frame alignment tools. Essentially, you are just bending (also known as cold setting) each dropout out by 2mm. And then realigning each so that they are still parallel to one another. The resultant modified frame will fit modern 130mm wide road wheels very nicely.

That said, this process can not be done on carbon frames.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 1987 bianchi bici 2 that I put 10 speed shimano groupset, shimano R500 wheelset, and modern handlebars on. It was a bit of a project, but the bike is bombproof. It’s my main shitty weather training bike.

I’d post a pic, but, I can’t figure out how to upload an image to this forum. There’s a few pics on my Strava tho.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for inspiration: Old/Vintage frame with new parts [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have figured as much. I'm looking into a Look KG96 which i believe has 130mm spacing since it's 8 speed at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
130mm rear dropouts (for road) will let you use 8 speed, 9 speed, 10 speed, and 11 speed (shimano), and I thnk 12 speed (campy) so you should be good !

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Potential inspiration:

https://www.bikeforums.net/...mes-sti-s-ergos.html
Last edited by: HTupolev: Apr 3, 20 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This bike is pretty much leftovers/take-offs from other projects. I put the parts on this bike, rather than throw good modern stuff in the closet. It became my favorite, and now gets most of my outdoor training, and I wouldn't hesitate to race it. Great climber, and fantastic in high winds.
1967 Mondia Special (Swiss) frame.
Original bars and stem, they work great.
Original Campy Record brakes, stronger springs than anything modern, work great with Tektro levers.
Original Campy Record front derailleur, crankset, rings, and BB. I just cleaned and repacked the BB, it spins great.
Roval CL50 wheelset.
Ultegra cassette and chain, with 105 rear derailleur, and Microshift bar-end shifters.
Respacing the frame for the 130mm rear spacing was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I used the very scientific method of laying the frame on the ground, stepping on one side, and pulling up on the other side. Then wedged a block of wood between the stays, and a couple crescent wrenches to bend the dropouts parallel. Works great, and the wheel installs like the frame was made for it.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Apr 3, 20 15:23
Quote Reply