Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for 1/2 IM
Quote | Reply
Well, I think my plans to do the 1/2 Vineman just got screwed up by family obligations. The 1/2 Caliman is out because of a friend's out-of-town wedding. I'm hoping to do my first 1/2 IM this summer. Any recommendations for a good 1/2 with spots still available this year? I'm in SoCal but could travel.

Quote | Reply
Relatively close to SoCal... The Big Kahuna (NorCal), The Grand Columbian (E. Washington).

"I'm single, I can take chances. When in doubt I put on a coat when performing a slipindictomy!"
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for 1/2 IM [direwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfMax in St. Louis on June 5

5430 in Boulder on Aug 7

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pacific Crest Bend, OR June 26 fairly big time, good talent

Troika Spokane, WA Aug 7 fairly small time, less talent
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for 1/2 IM [davidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would also recommend Pacific Crest. I did it as my first half and really enjoyed it. The swim is mid-60's and at a really nice resevoir. The bike ride is fairly challenging up to Mt. Bachelor ski resort (4400 to 6600 to 4100ft) but really a nice ride and has an awesome downhill section. The run is pretty flat on a winding bike path. Sunriver which is the resort where the race is has tons of places to rent.

Troika has a much more small town feel to it. 200-300 racers. The run can be hot and has no shade but would be fine if you're from SoCal.

The grand columbian is Sept 17 or 18th in the middle of washington and is supposed to be a good race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Napa on May 15 (Sunday). That's pretty soon of course, not quite "summer". It's the first time they are putting on the half, and it's a small field - 500 athletes I think. So it's a bit random, but might be fun.

Anyway, I'm doing it, as is a friend of mine.
Quote Reply