Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Look Pedal Users?
Quote | Reply
Would any Look Pedal users out there mind recommending the best model (no squeaking, long lasting, etc) for the best price? I'm totally overwhelmed by all of the options out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Pedal Users? [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think any one model squeaks less than any other. That really seems to be a function of cleat wear and pedal cleanliness. I think that if you're looking for the best bang for the buck and are buying Look, I'd go for the "best" model they offer that is one step below the pedal with the so-called "adjustable float" feature. (That's the one with the useless yellow knob on the back. It used to be the PP396 and is now the CX-6 or the A5.1) The model I'd recommend is currently called the A3.1.

Now, if you're not looking for the Look brand name but for a similar type of cleat, I'd check out the new Shimano "Lance" pedals, or the new Times.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a nice way to eliminate the squeak on LOOK pedals. I rubbed a little ski glide wax on the front edge of the cleat. I rode 80 miles on sunday and no squeaking yet. I have "cheap" aluminum looks. My riding partner has top of the line carbons and they squeak too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get the PP396 for $99 because the new Ax.1 series are out. The changes are cosmetic so for a big savings you can get the old top of the line (or 1 down from the top). I haven't had any problems with squeaking and I actually do use the adjustable float feature (but may be the only one). I have bad knees and go with 9deg early season or on long rides, 6deg most of the other time and maybe 3deg on a short fast race. I've seen the pp396 for 99 at performance and nashbar but I'm sure others have the same price (old list $199)

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding look pedals for just over a year. I've never had any squeaks or any other problems. I've got the cheapest ones made. I'm still on the original red cleats that I bought with the pedals. I do keep it all pretty clean though.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Pedal Users? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the old PP356's and am very happy with them. I've had squeaking, but usually when they get dirty. If I clean the pedals and put a thin coat of Phil Wood grease on the pedal surface where the cleat rubs there's no problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Pedal Users? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its interesting that you mention the "useless yellow knob". I got a pair of 396's used from a friend, and with the red cleat I felt like I always had the same amount of float (9 deg?) no matter how many times I tried, 0,3,6,9.

Can anyone confirm that the adjustable float works on their pedal? Right now I'm using black cleats and they feel amazing on climbs & hard flats but after a good long ride, my knees feel a little sore afterwards. But its nowhere near the pain I had with when I had too much float (the red cleats, spdply zeros) doing hill sets.

I'll try to adjust the black cleats again (I had it fitted, but then the cleat slipped the other day); but was wondering if I should try a new pair of looks (ie.CX-6 if the adjustable float works) or just switch to shimano and see how the 6 deg. of float treats me. One of the knobs on my pedals is broken and the local LOOK distributor says they don't fix them/have spare parts. grr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best way to eliminate the squeak of Look pedals is to replace them with Shimano DA pedals :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the 206 and the 396

My left red cleat squeeks a litte but that stops with a little T-9 (oil)

My black cleats don't squeek at all. They are made by Pyrmid.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Look Pedal Users? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...an even better way would be to replace those DA pedals with 105 pedals. They do exactly the same for less money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year's models and prices at Nashbar are these:

pp357, $90
pp396, $100

The 396 has dial-in adjustable rotation, weighs 10g more.

I have both (357 on the errand bike, 396 on the road bike).

I agree with the other posters that the dial-in is a nice feature. 9deg at the start of the season. 3 deg once everything works out.

I used to ride Speedplay. The rotation of these pedals seemed inefficient upon switching (to looks). I get the same notion reducing rotation from 9 to 6 to 3.

Both sometimes squeek after getting wet. Sometimes the squeek stops (during the ride). Else, wd40, etc., .

wmh

iambigkahunatony.com
Last edited by: wmh: Jun 16, 04 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got about 20k miles on the cheapest look pedals with no problems.
I'e got about 10k miles on the next to cheapest with no problems.

Never had a squeak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm getting ready to replace my Look 206's with Shimano R600's.

jimmyk
Quote Reply
Re: Look Pedal Users? [Michael1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re "...an even better way would be to replace those DA pedals with 105 pedals. They do exactly the same for less money. "

---------------------

Yes, but you can't rebuild the 105's or Ultegra's. When the bearings go, you pretty much toss them.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Pedal Users? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know what the price is in the US, but for what they cost over here (about 40 euro) I am happy to replace them, and dont have to mess with replacing bearings.
Quote Reply
spring tension, float, weight [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The obvious things people pay attention to are the float amount/adjustability and weight. The adjustable float models actually tend to have greater maximum float (e.g. 9 vs. 6 degrees).

There's another difference - in the spring tension of various models. For some reason, the more expensive ones tend to have stronger release springs ("competition use")

I have a pair of CX-6 - composite body, adjustable Q-factor. The last is mostly a gimmick, because 90% of the people benefit from the lowest Q-factor. On most Look pedals, the distance between the crank fact and the cleat centerline is ~50mm, and it won't adjust below that. They do however have a high-tension release spring, lighter weight, and don't seem to squeak.

I'd wait on the Shimano SL pedal - they seem to be having recalls every so often, and there may be mild re-centering action on the float. Look is also coming out with a new, lighter model with lower stack-height. If you want something quick, I'd suggest go for a Look or an old Shimano Look pedal from e-bay. Don't go for Look-imitations (e.g. Wellgo, Performance, etc.), because the cleats are for the most part incompatible, and the spindles are typically longer (i.e. higher Q-factor) than the genuine Looks (or Campy, for that matter.)

I verified the above at some point, but could of course be wrong; do correct me if so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience is that the higher $ Look pedals with the metal bodies are the ones that squeak, the cheapies with the plastic bodies (PP206, etc) do not. I suppose the plastic bodies could wear out faster, but I have not had that problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a couple of thoughts. If you're already on Looks, and want to keep using the cleats, they aren't worth it. Cleats are cheap.

If you're not already on Looks, then here's why you should consider the new SL pedals from Shimano:
1- Feel a lot like Look, but don't squeak
2- Ditto above, and they have rubber tips that make them a joy to walk in and easy to get your bike started.
3- The cleats outlast Look cleats.
4- The fit, grip, feel or whatever you want to call it is much more solid than the Looks.

I rode Looks for years, and found them increasingly annoying, not even counting the squeak. My Dura Ace SLs are awesome. No complaints, NONE!! And I'm a whiney SOB, I'll tell ya...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply