Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lock for Bike Carrier Hitch
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know of an OEM lock for a Thule hitch? I'm thinking of getting one, but $60 is stupid expensive.

The idea of someone stealing a 40lb bike hitch is very low, but I'd rather have a $400 bike rack secured. If people are willing to steal a $10 welcome sign on my front door, there are people willing to steal a 40lb bike rack.

This is what Thule is selling:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-rack-accessories/thule-stl2-snug-tite-receiver-lock-stl2-_-22508
Quote Reply
Re: Lock for Bike Carrier Hitch [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most auto parts stores sell them and you can find them online on places like Amazon. I don't remember the brand of the one I have but it was very similar to the Thule one you linked (actually more robust than the Thule version), and I only paid about $15 for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Lock for Bike Carrier Hitch [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about this?.
$20 at Lowes.
https://www.lowes.com/...DEAQYASABEgJXe_D_BwE

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The official Thule T2 Hitch Lock is expensive but it is threaded and locks down the rack very securely with the snug tight design. I am not even even sure since it is threaded if one of these generic ones would work, if the diameter somehow of the T2 Hitch Locks is slightly narrower or different to ensure sale of their own lock and pin.

Otherwise you could get a non-threaded hitch pin lock as well. $12 and I believe this is the same one 1UpUsa uses for theirs. Downside is you will have a lot more wobble.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Lock for Bike Carrier Hitch [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that was my thought, Thule makes the thread slightly off universal so it insures the sale of their own lock & pin.

Mentioning your generic link, I think at some point there was a Swagman worker posting on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Thanks, that was my thought, Thule makes the thread slightly off universal so it insures the sale of their own lock & pin.

Mentioning your generic link, I think at some point there was a Swagman worker posting on here.

If Thule could, Thule would, lol. Well if you want it looks like ReRack on eBay sells them for about $20 off. They sell on Amazon as well. They are probably actually new, and just trying to slide under their agreement with Thule. $40 is better than $60. Otherwise keep and eye out for some used ones.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Otherwise you could get a non-threaded hitch pin lock as well. $12 and I believe this is the same one 1UpUsa uses for theirs. Downside is you will have a lot more wobble.

1UpUsa has no pin for their rack. It is integrated into the hitch. It has a special tool to use for it, so any one with a 1up hitch can steal it. Basically its a bolt inside the hitch. They do sell a lock that prevents access to the bolt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:

If Thule could, Thule would, lol. Well if you want it looks like ReRack on eBay sells them for about $20 off. They sell on Amazon as well. They are probably actually new, and just trying to slide under their agreement with Thule. $40 is better than $60. Otherwise keep and eye out for some used ones.

Other option is my father in law works at a welding metal fabrication shop. Wonder if I bought one he can shape the screw to the correct size. All it would cost me is a 12pk of miller highlife.
Quote Reply