Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Local letter to the editor re: recent cycling death
Quote | Reply

Here's a link to the story on the fatal accident (which is a real tragedy):

http://www.iberkshires.com/blog/3237/HoosacValleyValedictorianDiesAfterBicyclingAccident.html?source=most_read

Here's a link to a letter from a well meaning local (questioning laws of the road):

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/...e-dangerous-cyclists

Here's the body of the letter copied/pasted (if you don't feel like messing around with links):

I read with dismay the August 4 obituary of the beautiful 22-year-old Mary Wilk who was killed when she was struck from behind while riding her bicycle. I have never understood the law that requires a person riding a bike to ride with traffic instead of against it which is the way I was taught when I learned to ride.
Whenever I approach someone on a bicycle while driving, I am always nervous that they might not be aware of me and would feel so much better if they were facing me. I truly believe there would be a lot fewer car/bicycle accidents if the law was reversed so that both rider and driver were always aware of each other.
I would like to know who makes these ridiculous laws?
Re: Local letter to the editor re: recent cycling death [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never understood the law that requires a person riding a bike to ride with traffic instead of against it which is the way I was taught when I learned to ride.

We were taught to walk against traffic so you can see the car but I was never taught to ride a bike against traffic.

Quote Reply
Re: Local letter to the editor re: recent cycling death [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think about how a cyclist would make a right turn if riding on the shoulder on the left side facing traffic. Think about how that cyclist would cross an intersection, especially when a motorist might be making a right turn right into the cyclist's direction of travel. Think about a motorist attempting to make a left turn after overtaking (but likely not seeing) a cyclist traveling in the same direction *on the shoulder of the other side of the road*.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Aug 4, 16 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bicycle is a vehicle subject to the rules of the road. I.e,. you can't have it both ways - the rights of a vehicle and the responsibilities of a vehicle go hand in hand. Nothing bothers me more than some schmuck on a bike coming at in me the wrong way when I am riding on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If cars are going 30-45 and a cyclist is going 20:

Closing speed if riding with traffic = 10-25 mph
Closing speed if riding against traffic = 50-65 mph.
By contrast, a typical walker is going about 2-3 mph and even 6:30/ mile runner is going about 9 mph and both can jump sideways ;-)

Someone with some math skills can calculate the number of seconds of additional reaction time the driver has if they are approaching a cyclist from the rear at those speeds but riding with traffic is a huge advantage to both cyclist and driver.

Add in the fact that drivers when making turns or pulling out into traffic they are not looking for moving objects coming at them in the wrong lane and riding against traffic is about the most dangerous thing you can do on a bike if cars are around.
Quote Reply
Re: Local letter to the editor re: recent cycling death [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Think about how a cyclist would make a right turn if riding on the shoulder on the left side facing traffic. Think about how that cyclist would cross an intersection, especially when a motorist might be making a right turn right into the cyclist's direction of travel. Think about a motorist attempting to make a left turn after overtaking (but likely not seeing) a cyclist traveling in the same direction *on the shoulder of the other side of the road*.

^
This. Riding against traffic would be insane. One thing I like about going with traffic on intersections is I can use vehicles as "lead blockers". If I'm going against traffic they're all linebackers coming to get me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with everyone else. This is a terrible idea. Think of turns and think of a 15 mph collision being a 60 mph collision. Maybe it's the beer talking but do people even think before they write an editor?
Quote Reply
Re: Local letter to the editor re: recent cycling death [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are in a car and come up to a street to turn right you will look left for oncoming traffic but may not necessarily look right (since you are not turning left into that lane). So you will miss the biker riding against traffic coming from your right. It's just the way drivers are programmed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never understood the law that requires a person riding a bike to ride with traffic instead of against it which is the way I was taught when I learned to ride.

Same logic - How about you drive your motorcycle or car on the shoulder against traffic to keep yourself safe against other cars?

Because it doesn't work in the real world once you get above a certain speed with turns.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Local letter to the editor re: recent cycling death [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup,

I have seen multiple guys hit around here doing that exact thing. Everytime on a divided highway where drivers are only looking to the left as they turn onto the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello trislayer and All,

It is worth noting that from a cyclist risk point of view this study below (and others) show that cyclist riding against traffic (slamoning) has a high risk .... [as does the urban dictionary definition of salmoning .... http://www.urbandictionary.com/...e.php?term=Salmoning ]

http://www.bikelongbeach.org/archives/4745#comments

Much of traffic 'rules of the road' just codifies custom and expectations of motorists, cyclists and pedestrians .... and others regarding proper road use.

(For instance ...... pedestrians are expected to walk facing traffic where there are no sidewalks ....... and bicycles are expected to ride in same direction as traffic as other vehicles obeying the rules of the road.)

Note 'Bike Caused Crashes' 36% 'Wrong side of Road' in this 10 year study from Long Beach, CA.

Some recent information on from Caltrans regarding Bicycle Crash Risk here: https://drive.google.com/...TZJ/view?ts=57a114b0

cycleicious Richard Masoner comments:

Among the findings and other factoids in this report:
  • Weak Data Collection
    • “Crash risk cannot be understood without bicycle count data.”
    • We don’t know how many crashes actually occur that involve people riding bicycles. A previous analysis of trauma center data conducted in San Francisco found significant underreporting in SWITRS. About 26% of bicyclist trauma cases were not reported to SWITRS, and cyclist-only crashes were dramatically underreported, with only 50% of cyclist-only crashes reported to SWITRS.
    • We still don’t have good exposure data to determine relative risk. Many bicycle counts occur only during peak times and where high bike traffic is anticipated.
  • Infrastructure
    • Right-turn-only lanes double your risk of a crash.
    • Riding on roads that are wider than median width double your risk of crashing compared against riding on roads of less than median width in the study.
    • Roads with three lanes (per direction) have more than triple the crash risk over one and two lanes per direction.
    • Truck routes triple your chances of being involved in a crash.
    • Roads with transit stops double your chances of being involved in a crash.
    • There’s no difference in crash rates for roads with allow parallel parking versus those without.
    • High volume roads (those with more than 20,000 vehicles per day) have higher crash rates than those with lower volumes of traffic. For comparison in San Jose, CA: just under 16,000 vehicles travel on Lincoln Avenue north of Minnesota, with just over 16,000 on Hedding. Around 50,000 vehicles travel on El Camino Real through Palo Alto every day.
    • Bikeways (both lanes and signed routes) have lower crash rates than non-bikeways. The study found no difference in crash rates between Class II and Class III bikeways.
  • Socioeconomic factors. The researchers looked at Census data for the neighborhoods they studied, looking at median income, race, and car ownership.
    • People riding through higher income and white neighborhoods with high car ownership are less likely to be involved in a bicycle crash than those riding through lower-income or Latino neighborhoods. The report does not speculate on the reasons this might be.
  • Report summary
    • “Keep building bike lanes”
    • “Be wary of crashes as a prioritization metric.” The report notes that areas with large numbers of crashes also tend to have many people riding bikes, and suggests “the lower-hanging fruit in terms of safety interventions is where ridership is moderate but risk is high.” ( I would personally add that “safety interventions” for locations that already have a high number of cyclists might also be warranted because they can potentially benefit more people. )
    • To best evaluate where safety improvements can benefit the most, “cities can begin by conducting counts at locations with high crash incidence, allowing planners to distinguish between high risk / moderate volume sites and low risk / high volume sites.”
    • “Bicycle boulevards are promising.”
    • “Corridors with high cycling volumes had lower injury risk, lending some credence to the ‘safety in numbers’ hypothesis.” ( And to be contrary and ornery, the higher cycling volumes might be because the corridor itself is safer to ride on. Perhaps a dozen people attempt to cross U.S. Highway 101 annually on their bikes where the Guadalupe River Trail regularly floods. Three of them get hit by cars. That’s a very low cycling volume and a very high crash rate. )

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply