Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Liquid Carb Questions for IM
Quote | Reply
I am training for an IM and while on the bike I am eating gels/water and gatorade for calories. I read an article stating carbo pro or another similar product with water provides 115 cal per scoop. Should I fill my two cages with the right amount of carbo pro to fuel me for the IM and eat a lot less gels? It seems that route is simpler than eating 2 gel packets every hr. Suggestions?

Go Big Red
Last edited by: BigRedMachine: Aug 7, 03 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Carb Questions for IM [BigRedMachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted something really simple to execute, so I did something similar to what you're talking about at CDA and it seemed to work fine. I took two 24oz bottles of diluted Gatorade for flavor and added 7 scoops of CarboPro to each bottle (total 859 cals/bottle). It was hot, so I also emptied 7 Thermolyte capsules(sodium/electrolytes) into each bottle, so I wouldn't have to fumble for all those pills. It made the drink pretty salty, but I didn't care.

I took one bottle on my bike, and picked up the second at Special Needs. Every 15mintues I took a couple good drinks from my CP bottle and once per hour I took a gel instead of my CP mixture (just some variety). I kept my aerobottle full of water and took a good drink after each CP swig or Gel. My bike was 6 hours so I got just about 400cals/hour and the only thing I had to get from Aid Stations was water to fill my aerobottle and wash the pee off of myself.

Only problem is that my drink mixture was pretty nasty when it got heated to about 90degrees, but I guess that's the price you pay for simplicity.
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Carb Questions for IM [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Barry. I see myself doing about what you did. I use Succeed and weigh about 190, so I have to figure how many scoops I need to get enough cal. I will use an e-gel once an hr as well as you did. Thanks again.

Go Big Red
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do just about the same thing for an IM. The only difference is that I don't put the salt in the drink since I am afraid it would be unpalitable. I just throw some salt tablets in a Tic Tac container. Works great.

The other thing I do is freeze the mixture into as many ice cubes as will fit in a water bottle and put them in along with the rest of mixture. Letting the drink stay hot for too long worries me since it seems like something that would spoil very quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Carb Questions for IM [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thoughts Art. I think that next time I will avoid adding the salt capsules to the drink, because you're right, it tastes pretty bad that way. The TicTac container sounds like a good idea.

The ice cube drink idea is good, I think I'll try that too. Unfortunately it was so hot (95+) at CDA that nothing really helped. I froze my special needs bottle solid and it was still pretty warm by the time I got to it. I guess the solution for me is to bike faster so my drink doesn't have time to get warm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To keep drinks in a special needs bag I have frozen the bottle in question and placed it in a padded envelope for insulation. These are the manilla envelopes which have the bubble material on the inside of them. You can pick them up at office supply stores very cheap. It works great.
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Carb Questions for IM [BigRedMachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found a simple solution to all of this, it's called Vitafit. They will custom make a powder for you based on how many carbs, protien, sodium, potassium etc you want. you just mix it with water and you have everything you need already in there. No need to mess with gels, pills or bars. I'll probably still take a couple of food items with me in my next Ironman, but they will be extra in case I feel the need to munch on something.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Carb Questions for IM [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea KB08, thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Carb Questions for IM [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do about the same, but instead of Carbo Pro I buy pure Maltodextrin in a 50 pound bag (70cts/pound) which is exactly the same stuff, the guys from Carbo Pro are using, except I think this stuff is more pure and has no addatives at all. I can dilute 900cal in a small bottle or even mix it as a gel for my flasks. It has no flavor and is not too sweet (well at 900cal it is sweet) and I add some juice for flavor. I also add salt tabs depending on the weather. Since I don't just want to rely on Maltodextrin alone I have a second bottle with 2 cans of Ensure Plus - 700cal. and one King Size Snickers for the early part of the bike. the stuff will get warm either way, but as long as you can wash it down with some cold water its ok. I also like Maltodextrin because it has no lingering aftertaste at all, even at high concentrations.
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Carb Questions for IM [Redemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Idea I just bought a 50 lb bag at: http://www.grainprocessing.com/food/malinfo.html

for $24.
Quote Reply
Re: Liquid Carb Questions for IM [Redemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting.

Which of the Maltrin products are you buying? It seems like they have a significant number of options.

Also, did you try their sample recipes?
Quote Reply