Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
STP wrote:
A downhill ski race has a lot more in common with a 400m than a triathlon does.

Actually, downhill skiers have more in common with motocross racers or pursuit cyclists.

can't speak to pursuit cyclists. But the motocross and alpine skiing relationship is right on the money. I knew a 2x World Champ MX racer (Donnie Schmit, 125cc and 250cc, RIP). He "never" skied, but ran into him once skiing and he was jaw dropping, outrageously good. He probably was a good runner too, though I never ran with him.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
52 is totally unrealistic. The 400m is way too aerobic. I'd be way more likely to believe an equivalently fast 100m time - or maybe 200m time - than 400m time. Look at the typical skier build. Then look at a prototypical 400m runner - Warriner or Johnson. Now look at a prototypical 100m runner (i.e., NOT Usain Bolt). Skiers are explosive. The 400m is just too long for her to be that fast.

Way too aerobic? I don't think so. I don't know if this was legit but aerobic capacity has little to do with it. Phosphagen system capacity, lactate tolerance....speed

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's the problem:

52.46 Olivia Baker (Columbia, Maplewood, NJ)
52.52 Kaelin Roberts (Poly, Long Beach, Ca)
52.82 Zola Golden (Arlington, LaGrangeville, NY)
52.95 Kendall Ellis (Aquinas, Ft Lauderdale, Fl)

that's the list of high schoolers who ran under 53sec last year in high school. in the entire U.S. and only 13 more of them ran faster than 54sec.

track is not lacrosse or volleyball. huge numbers participate, everywhere in the country, every ethnic group. the kids in this list start with age group clubs before they ever get into high school.

if she self-timed her 400m after high school, fine, but if she didn't start racing T&F hard core way earlier she'd never have had the ability to run anything like these times.

the only thing we know now that we didn't know in 2010 is that BOTH world famous skiers and world famous politicians are world famous liars (or at least self-deceivers) when it comes to running times.

i wouldn't care, i don't care, except that it demeans and belittles the accomplishments of those who have worked to achieve high standards in their sports, whether a 52sec quarter or a 2:50-something marathon.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just waiting for the Vonn vs Brownlee track meet. 100m, 400m, 800m. I want to see 13.xx, 56, and 1:59
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, you do know that johnny brownlee, in his winter training, slalom skis? once when the world cup came to his mountain he jumped in and took the bronze.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL! So much bullshitting going on here, but in sports it seems "smack is crack".

I ran the 400 in high school, so I knew the girls who ran the 400 and I knew their times. Typically, at the conference level, girls were running 70-80 secs. At the Regional Championships I think we had one girl go under 60, barely. At the state championships, one girl went under 57. This was 1958-59-60. Cinder tracks, except for States. If LV can run under a top high school athlete's 400 time from the 1960's, say, I'll eat her shoes. You just don't get that kind of leg turnover from downhill skiing. She may be able to run under 70, but I'd be surprised.... Don't get me wrong, I think she's a phenomenal athlete, but specificity rules and training is important.

EDIT: I just looked at the current girl's high school record for Ohio for the 400. It's 51.63.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Feb 21, 15 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
LOL! So much bullshitting going on here, but in sports it seems "smack is crack".

I ran the 400 in high school, so I knew the girls who ran the 400 and I knew their times. Typically, at the conference level, girls were running 70-80 secs. At the Regional Championships I think we had one girl go under 60, barely. At the state championships, one girl went under 57. This was 1958-59-60. Cinder tracks, except for States. If LV can run under a top high school athlete's 400 time from the 1960's, say, I'll eat her shoes. You just don't get that kind of leg turnover from downhill skiing. She may be able to run under 70, but I'd be surprised.... Don't get me wrong, I think she's a phenomenal athlete, but specificity rules and training is important.

-Robert

Taking it a bit far there. Comparing to cinder tracks in the 50's, really??

There is a huge difference between 52 and 60 and again to 70. Breaking 70 isn't hard, 60 is quite difficult and breaking 52 means you'll probably be at the Olympics in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, the world record until 1962 was 53.4. Current record is 48ish (drugged East German). 5-6 sec faster now. That one girl under 60 would be more like the 52-54 that Slowman listed for the fastest high school times last year. Things have moved forward in 50 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, yes, a bit of a stretch, but the cinder tracks really weren't the big change. Training regimens, supplements, and better equipment. I ran barefoot til the 10th grade. I'm not kidding. When I got track spikes they were so heavy I refused to wear them for a few weeks. Then I got stepped on....

Also, I think the 400 is more of sprint these days. In high school it seemed more like a distance race to me. "When will this goddamned thing end?"

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, yes, totally agree. Different race today, but the same distance. The leg turnover on these top girls is simply phenomenal. I wonder what the rate is? 220? Stride length is probably over 45 inches too.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
well, you do know that johnny brownlee, in his winter training, slalom skis? once when the world cup came to his mountain he jumped in and took the bronze.

Don't forget that Johnny Brownlee gets to the bottom of the slalom run and rather than take the lift up, he runs the hill which is 400m in VERTICAL and of course does it in sub 52 seconds. That would be a stratospheric VAM of around 30,000 meters per hour but let's pretend I did not give you the math and let's just believe the sporting smack talk.
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian Williams thinks Vonn has a lying problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm impressed! She must have some sprinter DNA in her.
Quote Reply
Re: Lindsey Vonn: 400m in 52 seconds [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
I'm impressed! She must have some sprinter DNA in her.

I'm pretty sure she's got some Pro Golfer DNA in her

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next