Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Life in Yakima, WA
Quote | Reply
Does anyone currently live (or lived) in Yakima, WA or the surrounding area?
I'm considering applying to a graduate school there and curious about the quality of the riding/running/etc. I could care less about "culture"

J
Quote Reply
Re: Life in Yakima, WA [xcmntgeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean Crackima? Racking my brain for what there is in the way of universities there.... I lived about 45 min. away in Ellensburg for a couple of years. Seems like there would be plenty of riding/running options in Yakima though. I think the outdoor recreational opportunities surrounding Yakima are good with White Pass for skiing, and the Yakima river being a renouned fly fishing river. I just remember a lot of slummy areas in the valley though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently live in Ellensburg. Quieter than Yakima, less gang issues etc. Grad school in Yakima? I guess you mean in Eburg, no?
Anyhow, there is some nice riding and running (when the weather is nice). Ellensburg is ALWAYS windy, which can be a pain, but you have flats, climbs, long climbs, rolling hills, trail running etc. In terms of outdoors, it's great. For everything else, I'd look elsewhere. PM me if you want specifics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to school (grade school and high school). Grew up in the lower valley.

It's not much of a place. Pretty high crime (an execution killing last week) or at least it's sensationalized. However I think you can find good places to live, just don't have high expectations for 'culture'. Frankly I think it's becoming dysfunctional (the whole valley).

Regarding running, biking and such: I visit often (family) and I would be careful. The farmers spray pesticides often and it's somewhat difficult during the summer to avoid breathing that if you're going on long distance rides/runs. My parents live on a farm and I have to be careful everytime. It sucks breathing in the latest insect nerve agent. Maybe 'Frassie' will respond, he recently moved there and might have a more positive outlook.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing you're speaking of the new Pac NW Osteo school. Yakima sucks big time!
Quote Reply
Re: Life in Yakima, WA [idlersrest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo, small DO medical school. I'm ok with riding in farm country, grew up in rural Missouri. I guess I'll have to look around carefully when (if?) I interview. Thanks for the thoughts, keep them coming.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about applying there too, but Yakima might keep me from doing so. I grew up in northern idaho and the thought of living in Yakima (we grew up making fun of yakima) kind of churns my stomach...buuut..med school is med school, and it shouldn't be a very competitive...so we'll see.
Quote Reply
Re: Life in Yakima, WA [idlersrest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly- plus they have a very primary care focus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yakima, like many eastern washington towns, is basically a farming community. Apple growing is a big part of the economy, but recently the migrant farm worker families who traditionally harvested the apples have been replaced with younger more violent crop of year round trouble. Recently a unarmed store guard was shot dead when he tried to stop a shoplifter who had bagged some perfume for his girl friend.

On the plus side, the little town hosts a decent marathon, and is maybe 90 minutes plus change from the Seattle area. Has lots of quiet roads of mostly rolling hills east of town. Not far off to the south is the eastern entrance to 14,000 ft Mount Rainier national park. If you like white water rafting the Tieton river is the bomb in September. Winter Skiing at White Pass is average with snow making machines in an otherwise desert environment. Yeah once it snows, the snow stays around and it is gets hot in the summer time.

There are not many lakes to practice open water swimming but plenty of open roads for running and riding.

I think your early season training opportunites would be limited in Yakima, WA. You're going to find yourself a long drvie to 70.3 at Lake Stevens,Wa and IM at CdL Id or IM-CA.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Life in Yakima, WA [Fit4Infinity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And do not forget the Whisky Dick Triathtlon in Ellensburg ;-)
Quote Reply