Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Letter to J&A re: Caliman hydration
Quote | Reply
I just sent this message to J&A at caliman@japroductions.com. I'd urge anyone else that is pissed off about this last-minute change to express themselve to J&A as well. With enough support they may reconsider.

---------------------------------------------

Hello- I received your newsletter in the mail a few days ago, and was surprised to see that you have changed what you plan to serve at the aid stations from Cytomax to Amino Vital. While I realize that you have sponsorship considerations to deal with, a change like this within 3 weeks of the race date is completely unacceptable. Race nutrition is a critical element to success in a long-course tri, and I, along with every other athlete, have been working for months to optimize my nutrition strategy utilizing Cytomax. To put the timing of this into perspective for you, my last long ride before tapering for this event is this weekend. One long ride is not sufficient to validate that a new drink will work on race day. Perhaps you have not thought out this element of the race-day logistics, but by making this change you have essentially forced a great number of people that do not feel comfortable making a last-minute change like this to provide all their own nutrition/hydration for race day. I cringe to think what the special needs stops will look like on race day with nearly every participant stopping to pick up their drinks since no one will be drinking what you are serving at the aid stations. Is this really what you intended? All other J&A races that I have ever attended have been extremely well run, and I'm sure that CaliMan will be no exception, but frankly this change seems very poorly thought-out, and is blatantly in J&A's interests at the expense of the athletes that have worked very hard for months to prepare for this race. I really urge you to reconsider and perhaps serve both Cytomax and Amino Vital at the aid stations and give athletes the choice.

Regards,

John Katsoudas

Quote Reply
Re: Letter to J&A re: Caliman hydration [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you could use e-gel with that. I think I've read here where some people are adding electrolytes and carbs to amino vital. This would be the same. TRy some ahead of time. tom Demerly might know for sure.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rumor I heard is not too many people signed up for Iron Distance - have you heard anything about the turnout? Wonder if that has anything to do with why they switched drinks.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Letter to J&A re: Caliman hydration [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard 150-200 on IM distance and 400-500 on half - could get a little lonely late in the day. I also hear they are desperately looking for volunteers in the Sacramento area so support might be a little weak for a J&A race. Camelbak sounds like a good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you actually tried Amino Vital? I have been in a quandry as to what I was going to use since I am having a very hard time getting Extran (may have to fly to Europe to get some) and Cytomax and similar make me gag. I tried Amino Vital last night on my ride and will use it tomorrow in our 112 mile race sim ride. Taste is not bad--not gaggingly sweet.

I'm more concerned about any snakes on the bike path or anywhere in my eyesight.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to J&A re: Caliman hydration [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy,

No snakes on the course, just cats. I'm doing the 1/2, see you there.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried it yet. My concern isn't the taste, so much as the fact that it's not a calorie-rich drink, which means I've got to find another source of calories on the bike. I've traditionally responded rather poorly to gels and bars, if you know what I mean :( I've had decent success with Extran before, so I may fall back to that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
two things...

we can find extran easily here in El Paso...how come you can't in NoCAL???

we can also easily find snakes...want me to bring some for ya?
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to J&A re: Caliman hydration [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can usually find Extran at Cupertino Bike Shop. If you like, I can score you some and bring it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was planning on carrying 2 bottles of cytomax(with about 8 grams of protein mixed in) plus my aero water bottle and 2 more bottles of cytomax at the halfway point.that way i dont have to carry 2 behind my seat and save the weight. i figure i can drink their water and a amino vital thing to make up the difference.good idea? bad idea?

'STICK EM UP PUNK ITS THE FUN LOVING CRIMINAL'
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to J&A re: Caliman hydration [thesnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why do you care about weight on a flat course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
always try to save a little weight. 48 ounces plus all the hardware can make a difference.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not on the flat.

Besides, 2 bottles less on your bike, now THAT can make a difference, because if you don't digest what's given on race day, or miss on aid station, then you could be in for a very long day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probly better play it safe,damn bike feels like a tank with all the crap on it though. guess the 10 lbs i lost in the last year will make up for it.

Quote Reply
Re: Letter to J&A re: Caliman hydration [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Jean (who lives up there and runs on the course daily) has seen TWO in the past week. She said, "Just stay on the asphalt and you should be OK." Yeah, right. I may have a really fast run split. ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soooo, I guess no trips to the bushes if this Amino Vital stuff doesn't sit well ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just kick the rattlers in the head if they bug you! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to J&A re: Caliman hydration [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cathy,

No snakes on the course, just cats. I'm doing the 1/2, see you there.

Dave
I've almost run over snakes, including rattlers, many times on the exact section of the bike path on which we'll be traveling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I might do. I was hoping to avoid a stop at special needs, as my bike split's going to be slow enough as it is. As a fallback, I may bring the Neverreach out of retirement. I can fill that badboy up with 64 oz of Cytomax and skip all the aid stations altogether. We'll see how my experiment with alternate nutrition goes this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cathy, I could also bring some Extran up for you if neccessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to J&A re: Caliman hydration [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the Extran offers! I hope my LBS gets their back order next week, so except for tomorrow, I should be OK. And yes, only one place in SF that carries it, that I know of.

Now seriously, those snakes, feral cats and wild turkeys and the random bobcat and mt. lion do NOT thrill me in the least. Has there ever been an urban IM? ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply