Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for noticing. Am looking at the Varsa for some good technique training, as my pool is always overloaded, so its hard to get a good solid technique session in. I can do 1900m in 30mins, and hoping some solid improvements by end of the year.

My Blog - My Tweets - My Strava
My Bikes - CF SLX, 622SLX, O-1.0, AL9.0, 4.3Disc, Slice BI, C60
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [Skream] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skream wrote:
This should be the last post of the thread as no one else casts a shadow in the presence of my setup. How many of you sleep within three feet of your own filth?!?! How about in a studio apartment so you can never escape the horrific memories, stench and suffering. Complete with a humidifier to make sure even the driest of winter days carries with it the haunting reminder of my broken soul on the Queen K. With dirty laundry kept right next to the flywheel to ensure the wretched odor drowns out any hint of pure air. That's right....none of you. HTFU

You gotta be kidding me. That's one of the nicest single room spaces I've seen - clean, nice furniture, nice wall paint, lights work, hardwood floors etc. (You still have to clean your room!)

It's not my favorite setup sure due to the smaller space, but if that was my room, I'd be ready to roll for indoor bike training for sure. I did the same with an even smaller and grubbier room in an urban area. The biggest problem for me and I suspect a lot of apt dwellers is the potential noise from the trainer vibration - the trainer itself makes very little noise (KK or Fluid2) but often times, the vibrations cause a much louder weird buzz that drives your downstairs folks a bit nuts when they hear it as it's not subtle at all. I had to wait until my downstairs neighbor car showed he was gone, and even then I'd worry about the adjacent neighbors buzz.
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to see multiple K-State grads on here. I'm a Shiv guy as well and '04 grad. Thumbs up on the Pain Cave!
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my bike setup - ceiling fan and A/C not visible, iPad on a music-stand running Wahoo Fitness to control my Kickr. Normally it's my tri bike on the trainer but I wanted to compare the power readings between my Quarq and Kickr, hence the dirty road bike. This is obviously pre-workout as there isn't a huge puddle of sweat on the floor!

I also have a DIY Vasa-alike swim trainer made from an old Nordic Track XC ski machine.

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2wheels wrote:
I cut the base out of a section of particle board, then covered it with checkered squares I got from Home Depot.

That's a GREAT idea!
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [uclamutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uclamutt wrote:
The fan on the left is a Vornado. I think it's this model.

The one on the right is a much less expensive Honeywell similar to this model.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [alexneum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alexnum - TRX hanging in the center. VERY nice. I think functional strength training is the main reason I have been injury free for the last year or two.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [kstateskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kstateskier wrote:
Good to see multiple K-State grads on here. I'm a Shiv guy as well and '04 grad. Thumbs up on the Pain Cave!

Also a K-Stater, 2006 chem eng. Also on a Shiv!

Although, I have to admit, I did had a cooperative research program working for KU's ChE department: but the moral of the story is that I PAID to go to KSU - they had to PAY ME to work at KU!
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [Joe24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries. The fans blow in a pretty focused stream so either world probably work for you. The vornado is a bit expensive but it's pretty powerful and almost silent!

Powered by Dalzell Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chokebait wrote:
No, a dungeon it's not, but there's no better name for our workout area than a "Pain Cave". Whether it's long rides on the trainer, 500lb deadlifts, or tournament worthy ippon seoi nage throws, this is where pain happens.

Not sure how it worked out, but the ventilation is all hiding in this pic. When I long ride the trainer, the bench comes out of the squat rack, the bike goes in, and two Vornado floor fans keep me cool and dry. A pedestal fan blows over the treadmill to keep it cool as well. I'm not much of a photographer, so it looks pretty cramped, but it's not really: 16ft x 16ft, with 10x16ft open area. Another TV coming soon (Yay Cyber Monday deals!) to put in front of the treadmill. My wife didn't appreciate the partially obstructed view of the TV in the squat rack from the treadmill, ended up getting a 24" Smart TV for free, should be here next week. 1300lbs of weights, heavy bag, treadmill, cycle trainer, grappling dummy, bench, and squat rack. The Concept 2 Rower is outside for now. There's nothing functional or productive that happens at a gym besides swimming that I can't do here.

Holy cow...just spotted this. I think we own the exact treadmill. Last year I got rid of my rack and many of my weights. I now just have a bunch of dumbbells and some Bowflex Selectechs. Also have a heavy bag and grappling dummy for some extra aggression release.
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [Skream] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skream wrote:
This should be the last post of the thread as no one else casts a shadow in the presence of my setup. How many of you sleep within three feet of your own filth?!?! How about in a studio apartment so you can never escape the horrific memories, stench and suffering. Complete with a humidifier to make sure even the driest of winter days carries with it the haunting reminder of my broken soul on the Queen K. With dirty laundry kept right next to the flywheel to ensure the wretched odor drowns out any hint of pure air. That's right....none of you. HTFU

Pft. Please, if I got any closer I would be sweating where I sleep little boy. Thank god the damn radiator is broken, it's the only place I get get some fresh air on the fourth floor.

Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [Chokebait] [kstateskier] [dprocket] [PatrickOfSteele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dd one more to the KSU family here, 11' grad from ME department. Also have two other KSU grads living with me too. Absolutely no one comes downstairs. They basically moved everything they wanted to the basement and then I took over.

Looks like SOA is on for tonight's ride w/ GC

We have a Boulevard problem.... And yet they don't sell it in Michigan
Last edited by: KSU_Wildcat: Feb 14, 14 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [KSU_Wildcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my ready room. the only things i'm hoping to add would be a bigger TV and a treadmill. well...and another bike. ;)

- josh

@joshcowman
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [TNFeDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Post deleted by coyote39 [ In reply to ]
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
Are you Tyler Durden?

Otophoto wrote:
Riding with a group makes our cave a little less painful.

Love this comment

I agree about fan. Mine is not as large but still big and blows air all around me to the point that I can't even use fan's setting 3. Too cold ;) The size of the monitor is 30" that give an idea of the fan size.

Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [turboferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how close was the Quarq power relative to the Kickr?

CyclingSessions

Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [cyclingsessions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that around 250 watts, my Quarq was reading about 20 watts lower than the Kickr. Both calibrated before the session. Perhaps I need to do another spin-down on the Kickr after it's warmed up. I'm sure DC Rainmaker found the Kickr to be pretty accurate and correlated closely to his plethora of other devices so I'll have to revisit his article and see if he employed any tricks to get this.

It's a great device though, the fact that you can just set a power and pedal without needing to concentrate is fantastic, completely independent of cadence. It would be nice if the screens on Wahoo Fitmess which I use to control it were customisable though - for example if you are on the power screen you can't see the elapsed time.

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/img]

Just a start, first winter with bike training. Space doubles as my studio and furniture shop....

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pain cave this winter in the basement. We will be moving it upstairs in an empty bedroom soon or later.

Last edited by: Burnt Toast: Feb 12, 14 18:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Not so much a cave...
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [Domal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

My cave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay so finally here is mine. Had it for a while but only just got around to taking some pics this afternoon when doing a clean up.

An assortment of bikes from TT, Road, Commute, Track, Fixie and a few spares plus 2 are my wife's. Right at the back.

The spares cupboard is nice when looking for 'that part'.

The treadmill is newish. My wife uses it mainly as I prefer to head out to a national park about 400 meters from my house.

The locker just has my wetsuits. Long, short, speed etc...

Clearly the car has never been on the inside of this Cave.

The Cave does double as a workshop but not much happens on that front.

Enjoy the pics.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Let see your Pain Cave [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your TV is too high :)

Otherwise, that's pretty awesome. Jealous.
Quote Reply

Prev Next