Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Listen to David. I just did my 2nd 50k with him gearing up for my first 50mi.

2yrs ago I did my first 50k a couple months after IM, with hopes of doing a 50 miler later that year. During the last few miles I lost that desire, thinking about doing another 19 was enough to kill that ultra bug I had.

This year with David's help I reached the last couple of miles (same course) and actually felt "good", thinking I could go another 19, it will be slow but I can do it.

This was after bad nutrition choices, only about 500 cal for 31 miles, technical, muddy, hilly for me trails, blown out quads, rolled my ankle enough times I stopped counting around 10, but I still had a smile and was having fun. I felt like hell... but it felt good...

A fiddy is a beast, but I am now mentally ready, I dont think I was 2 yrs ago.
I want to do a 100 next year but I might think differently after 50.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been on a run-a-day kick since the new year. My original, spontaneous idea was to run everyday of 2016, with a minimum of 3mi. Is this feasible still trying to tackle an initial 50k? I'm sure it's not ideal, but is it manageable?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
I've been on a run-a-day kick since the new year. My original, spontaneous idea was to run everyday of 2016, with a minimum of 3mi. Is this feasible still trying to tackle an initial 50k? I'm sure it's not ideal, but is it manageable?

For sure! That being said, I think running streaks are not really conducive to high-level training solely because you will need to take a day or two off for injury at some point most likely. However, I say go for it! That 3 mile run should be interesting the day after your first 50k :)

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I entered leadville 100 but didn't get in.

However I am doing Ultraman (FL) which has a 52 mile run on day 3. The training has seemed weird to me compared to Ironman training, overall fewer hours per week, and more rest days. Typically with a big double each week (the most I have done is 18 miles Friday, 28 miles Saturday) with no running on the days either side (just 3-4 hour bike sessions and some swims). So my overall run volume has only been 50-60 miles per week, often less than that. Whereas in IM training I just shoot for consistent +-50 mile weeks without that big double. I will be able to tell you in 5 weeks whether it worked out or not! The furthest I have run before this is about 55k, so I'm for sure an ultra rookie.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msaad7 wrote:
So glad someone started this! Another North Carolina (Cary) ultra runner here. Did Gator Trail the year before last and loved it! Weymoth Woods is another local one to keep on your radar. Was hoping to do Southern Trail down in Wilmington but I'm actually currently in Hong Kong getting ready to run the HK 100 (first race of the ultra trail World Tour). Where in NC are you based?

There is also Badwater Cape Fear 50K/50M in March on Bald Head Island for those in/around Wilmington

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually did the 50 miler last year for the Cape Fear Badwater. One of the better ran races I've been apart of. Pretty obvious that they have the whole "how to put on a race thing" figured out.

I would definetly recommend it to anyone looking for a good 50k/ 50 miler

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? I did too, also did Salton Sea and crewed Badwater. They do put on great events in unique locations :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
iswimslow wrote:
Ultras have a huge mental component, the concept of running a marathon after you just finished one can really mess with your head in the middle of a 50 miler. Once again the training is what prepares you for this. If the training sounds like fun or a good challenge then by all means go for it!

This right here is huge. It will wreck you if you think in terms of, "I just ran this much and still have that much to run" I know during my first 100 mile attempt, after running 50 miles, I thought, " I've run 50 miles (which is an accomplishment in itself) and I'm only half way?!?!?!?!" This sadly reduced me to tears sitting in my chair next to my support car.

I think it goes without saying that you need to break it down into more manageable goals/distances. For instance, when I was still racing Ironman I used to think toward the end of the bike that there is no way I could run a marathon. But I can run from aid station to aid station.

Yeah the 100 I would suggest you don't even think about any of the mileage numbers. It will get you into serious mental trouble. I would use more about finishing "sections" of the course. Also be prepared to get to an aid station and want to just give up...I think everyone seems to go through that. I sat in an aid station for about an hour just planning to bail out but decided to keep going and I don't even really remember feeling low after that so it just turned around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twenty minutes after finishing my first ultra, someone asked which was harder - the 100 or an IM? I said this thing for sure was....by noon.

I am in for Bighorn and Bear this year. Probably another one late in the year, like Ozark Trail. I'll find five or six 50-mi and 50K's to keep me from slacking off. Also Leadville MTB, and some long gravel grinders mixed in throughout.

We (kinda) joke that I can get in more trouble on ultasignup.com than on ashlymadison.com
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
Twenty minutes after finishing my first ultra, someone asked which was harder - the 100 or an IM? I said this thing for sure was....by noon.

I am in for Bighorn and Bear this year. Probably another one late in the year, like Ozark Trail. I'll find five or six 50-mi and 50K's to keep me from slacking off. Also Leadville MTB, and some long gravel grinders mixed in throughout.

We (kinda) joke that I can get in more trouble on ultasignup.com than on ashlymadison.com

IM training is harder...100 miler is harder event. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense then for selecting that race. I was just curious knowing how many beautiful mountain ultras there are in Utah and in the region. Flat like that would suck for me, but I hope he enjoys the course and has a great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Registered for 2 ultras this year. ( or 3, depending on how you count it )

In April I am doing the nimble bear 50k with 6,700 feet of climbing with apparently a lot of technical and steep terrain.

This will be my first ultramarathon race, and I can just drive there race morning.

August I am also signed up for Squamish that offer a 50 mile, a 50k and the 50/50 where you do the 50 mile race saturday and the 50k race sunday, which I signed up for.

This one is about a 4 or so hour drive from my house, but I can't wait!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:

Also, if you or anybody needs any type of motivation I can not recommend enough watching this video from youtube about finishing your first 100 miler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBdA-7dSvs

This may be one of the well made and inspiring running videos Ive ever seen

His videos are great, and I first came upon him when I was looking for local ultras when I came across his squamish 50/50 video!

Definitely can recommend watching some of his stuff.

Gorge waterfalls 50k was a great one too, and has now made my bucket list!
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:

Also, if you or anybody needs any type of motivation I can not recommend enough watching this video from youtube about finishing your first 100 miler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBdA-7dSvs

This may be one of the well made and inspiring running videos Ive ever seen

His videos are great, and I first came upon him when I was looking for local ultras when I came across his squamish 50/50 video!

Definitely can recommend watching some of his stuff.

Gorge waterfalls 50k was a great one too, and has now made my bucket list!

I will check it out for sure. Another person on YouTube that makes GREAT running videos with top notch quality is a channel called "Billy Yang Films"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:

I will check it out for sure. Another person on YouTube that makes GREAT running videos with top notch quality is a channel called "Billy Yang Films"

Agreed, just watched his WS100 film a few days ago, and thought he did an excellent job on Western Time where he documented Sally McCrae's WS100 in 2014.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:

With a bad day at IM it is often possible to just dial it in and shuffle home. If you're race has gone to shit at a 100 miler, there is no easy way to finish. Good race or bad, they are all hard.

Love the ultrasignup comment. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Yeah the 100 I would suggest you don't even think about any of the mileage numbers. It will get you into serious mental trouble. I would use more about finishing "sections" of the course. Also be prepared to get to an aid station and want to just give up...I think everyone seems to go through that. I sat in an aid station for about an hour just planning to bail out but decided to keep going and I don't even really remember feeling low after that so it just turned around.

Ultra running 101: Beware the chair!

Admittedly, in the middle of the night during a 100 miler it is a provocatively seductive piece of furniture.

Well done on the turn around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I have no ultras planned for 2016.

I had my ultra running swansong in 2012. After running a dream race that I had my eye on for 18 years, my left knee decided it had seen too many miles and too many races, and it finally prohibited me from training effectively for subsequent ultras. I then recognised it was time to dial back my mileage and enjoy shorter distances.

Last year I visited Canada for a hiking holiday in the Rockies and curiosity drew me to the local trail and ultra running calendars. I ended up coming out of 3 years of ultra retirement to run 4 short ultras in 4 weeks, ranging from 50 km though to 50 miles.

I'm realistic enough to know that I may succumb to siren call again, should circumstances again prove irresistibly alluring. Whether that be 2016 or 2026, who knows?

I still would love to pull out another "final" big race, (Hardrock or Ultra Tour Mt Fuji being particularly attractive), but I am content with what the sport has given me.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Ultra running 101: Beware the chair!

I am going to remember this right here

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Dave thanks for your advice, long weekends or back to back long runs was def. the key for getting me well prepared for a 50k.

You are right about training the downhills - towards the end of an ultra it's the downhills that hurt the most - my poor knees and toes!! Power hiking up a steep hill is easier at the 45k mark than running down it. You can always tell the Ultra profis (you) to the ultra rookies (me) just by how people run downhill, but I'm working on it. My goal for this year is to get strong legs and conquer the down hills!!

A question: Are there any good techniques for steep slippery down hills? I find i get too cautious, and hold myself back because I'm scared of slipping and pulling a muscle.

thanks in advance and I hope it's ok to ask for free advice, sorry If I'm being cheeky.

This is something I need to work on. My concern isn't pulling a muscle, it is tripping and falling. Along those lines, if anyone has any good agility exercises they do for when they can't get to the trails, I would appreciate hearing about them. I find that running stairs helps, but I am sure there are better things.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Dave thanks for your advice, long weekends or back to back long runs was def. the key for getting me well prepared for a 50k.

You are right about training the downhills - towards the end of an ultra it's the downhills that hurt the most - my poor knees and toes!! Power hiking up a steep hill is easier at the 45k mark than running down it. You can always tell the Ultra profis (you) to the ultra rookies (me) just by how people run downhill, but I'm working on it. My goal for this year is to get strong legs and conquer the down hills!!

A question: Are there any good techniques for steep slippery down hills? I find i get too cautious, and hold myself back because I'm scared of slipping and pulling a muscle.

thanks in advance and I hope it's ok to ask for free advice, sorry If I'm being cheeky.

Thanks so much Anna! Oh my gosh you're not being cheeky! Unless that's a term used for falling on your butt-cheeks on slippery downhills :)

It's a bit counter-intuitive, but the steeper the downhill, the more you should "chop." So on shallow downhills (like CA fire roads), open up and feel free to take long, loping strides that use gravity. But on steeper, technical downhills, focus on keeping your feet under you with strides that more closely resemble high knees. Remember that exercise you did as a kid where you did quick feet high knees? It should feel like that.

Here is a good video to see what I mean: https://www.facebook.com/...s/10155523187090346/

Max taught me most of what I know on this stuff--he won a World Mountain Championship almost solely on the downhill.

Descending like that will limit the chance of pulling a muscle. However, you may fall no matter what! The key with trail running is to remember that falling is rarely all that bad :)

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on for Marathon des Sables April 8-18th. The emotional roller coaster ride between excitement and terror is very real!

I'm also doing Bryce 100 in June, because somehow running a nasty mountain 100 two months after MdS seems like 'a good idea.' I've done Bryce 100 before, so I definitly know what to expect.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My runs would be so much more exciting if I got to run in an environment like that. Wow.

These central florida roads are getting... old. :)

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply

Prev Next