Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes
Quote | Reply
https://www.nytimes.com/...l/triathlon-training

Something something, snark snark snark, something something.

No, but actually, I thought it was a pretty good beginner's guide. I really want to see the sport grow.

What say you, Captains of Snark?

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://sellergren.net
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not many people had anything to say about it last year when it came up

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/NY_Times%3A_Let_Try_a_Triathlon_P6198060/?search_string=ny%20times%20try#p6198060
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, She really covers all the topics in that newbie's guide to a first triathlon. I'm not going to read all of that, but I'm glad the NYT is devoting that much effort to encouraging to participants.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
http://www.motivengines.com
@EdwardOMalley
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, nice find, I tried searching for "NYTimes" and "new york times" but I guess not "NY Times." I guess they're reposting it on the front page today. No date on the article.

Two nitpicks from me were:

1. Tying a balloon in transition: I could have sworn this was illegal, but I can't find it in USAT or Ironman rules.
2. Receiving neutral SAG disqualifies you from awards: this can't be true?

"Some races have roving mechanical support vehicles. If you accept help from these vehicles you will be allowed to complete the race, but you won’t be eligible for prizes."

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://sellergren.net
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asellerg wrote:
Oh, nice find, I tried searching for "NYTimes" and "new york times" but I guess not "NY Times." I guess they're reposting it on the front page today. No date on the article.

Two nitpicks from me were:

1. Tying a balloon in transition: I could have sworn this was illegal, but I can't find it in USAT or Ironman rules.
2. Receiving neutral SAG disqualifies you from awards: this can't be true?

"Some races have roving mechanical support vehicles. If you accept help from these vehicles you will be allowed to complete the race, but you won’t be eligible for prizes."

I don't know the rules, but I've seen it enforced at ITU Champs and at races organized by IM Europe: No balloons, no chalk arrows pointing to your bike, no special ribbons or colored tape on transition bags etc. But I've seen all that and more at local races and at IMs in the U.S.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I don't know the rules, but I've seen it enforced at ITU Champs and at races organized by IM Europe: No balloons, no chalk arrows pointing to your bike, no special ribbons or colored tape on transition bags etc. But I've seen all that and more at local races and at IMs in the U.S.

Yeah, same here. I've usually just seen volunteers walking through transition the day before, silently removing ribbons from bags. In which case, the athletes are probably worse off than before, running through transition screaming about a pink ribbon that doesn't exist :-).

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://sellergren.net
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I just noticed someone on the old thread said they remember that from 4 years ago... Perhaps it's just a recurring article they do every year when resolutionists are looking for something to do. I truly hope it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ITU 2017 Competition Rules, Transition Area Conduct: "k.) Marking positions in the transition area is forbidden. Marks, towels and objects used for marking purposes will be removed and the athletes will not be notified;"

I looked at the Ironman 2017 Competition rules and there is nothing in there forbidding marking your transition area. But as I noted earlier, a lot of foreign IMs/70.3s don't allow you to mark your bags. Below is from the 28 Jan 2018 Athlete Guide for IM70.3 Buffalo City, South Africa

"• Transition bags x 3 : Street wear (white), Bike (blue), Run (red). Bags may not be decorated for personal identification purpose. "
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, nice find! I'm going to submit a correction now, so I'll make a note of that too.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://sellergren.net
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
ITU 2017 Competition Rules, Transition Area Conduct: "k.) Marking positions in the transition area is forbidden. Marks, towels and objects used for marking purposes will be removed and the athletes will not be notified;"

I looked at the Ironman 2017 Competition rules and there is nothing in there forbidding marking your transition area. But as I noted earlier, a lot of foreign IMs/70.3s don't allow you to mark your bags. Below is from the 28 Jan 2018 Athlete Guide for IM70.3 Buffalo City, South Africa

"• Transition bags x 3 : Street wear (white), Bike (blue), Run (red). Bags may not be decorated for personal identification purpose. "


This markings rule is not a new rule, and for sure is enforced at pretty much any sanctioned race in Canada... and certainly at ITU level events... And yes, many people are worse off, because they were relying on something silly like a balloon or the sort for finding their spot upon their return, rather than actually landmarking like the rest of us do...

Also worth noting that most races will not allow a snorkel at all, not just disqualifying you from awards...

as a basic starter article it does a decent job outlining some of the basics to people.
Last edited by: Trauma: Jan 8, 18 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ITU rules are irrelevant to Ironman ... they have their own published rule book. I've done something like 30+ IM/70.3s and have never seen the transition bag rule enforced except in Europe and South Africa where they have inserted the prohibition into their Athlete Guide. In the US, people mark them with ribbons, colored tape and all sorts of novel methods.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought you meant this, but upon reflection it wasn't written up in NYT ... it just happened in NYC

https://deadspin.com/...lons-in-f-1820986987

Quote:
Why? That’s the first question people always ask. Why would you want to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112, and then run a marathon? Why would you do it five days in a row? Why would you plan the whole thing yourself? In the five boroughs? In the middle of June?

“Why does anyone do anything?” answered Chris Solarz, a guy who read stoic philosophy in the sauna while training for such a feat. “Why do we try to run arbitrary distances in arbitrary times? I don’t know. There’s no easy answer.”

Last summer, Solarz and fellow New Yorker Chris Calimano completed the arbitrary task of one full Ironman-distance triathlon each day for five days straight, totaling 703 miles. The event started as most harebrained ideas do: over beers.

“Don’t take your ability to do stupid things for granted”
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was written by A.C. Shilton (https://acshilton.com/). She's the real deal as an athlete.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
ITU rules are irrelevant to Ironman ... they have their own published rule book. I've done something like 30+ IM/70.3s and have never seen the transition bag rule enforced except in Europe and South Africa where they have inserted the prohibition into their Athlete Guide. In the US, people mark them with ribbons, colored tape and all sorts of novel methods.

My understanding was that the two rule sets were aligning starting in 2018, as per the announced partnership between Ironman and the ITU, hence some of the changes to the ITU rules that were announced in December...

will have to see this season what the rules applied to m dot events look like this year to see if this is the reality.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Try a Triathlon in NYTimes [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

My understanding was that the two rule sets were aligning starting in 2018, as per the announced partnership between Ironman and the ITU, hence some of the changes to the ITU rules that were announced in December...

will have to see this season what the rules applied to m dot events look like this year to see if this is the reality.

I hope you are right because it would be a lot less confusing. I've done 6 IMs in the U.S. and 6 IMs in other countries and it always surprises me how different the rules can be within the same company let alone between IM and ITU. Standardization is good, but WTC might get some blow back from US participants that like to put big chalk arrows leading to their bike and/or ribbons and colored tape all over the transition bags. Meanwhile, I can't wait to see which wins out: special needs bags or coaching zones.
Quote Reply