Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by enricobraglia
Last edited by: enricobraglia: Mar 6, 20 15:10
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Such a f-ing joke the Legacy program.
You apply and it tells you that the current wiatilist is 2022 and than a week late (because they created more entries supposibly) you get an email that says 'you are awesome, see you in 6 years!'

Congrats and all, not knowing how many years you have already dedicated your life to this sport but you are ok dedicating another 6 when you are all ready at the 'make believe' finish line?

And to everyone out there hoping to go to Kona via Legacy; hold on for a very very very long and expense road. 12 IRONMAN races and than they get to decide when you 'deserve' to race Kona.

Unreal.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So where are the extra slots to be found to accommodate more legacy competitors?

I can’t see cutting back from the 40 slots at most races. It’s already tough enough to qualify, especially in the fast younger and highly populated middle aged groups.

They should remove the slots from Chinese 70.3s, if that’s still a thing. I doubt it inspired many Chinese to grow the sport. More likely, it rewarded fast Aussies / Kiwis and Europeans willing to travel.

Corporate spots I’m sure could be cut back. Buy a Ventum and get a slot? Gross.

Revenue seeking gimmicks like the XC division are also gross, but I’m not naive to the justification.

Not sure where else to look.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed the original post...
So just supply and demand, the wait is up to 5+ years now after you get your 12?
Yeah I guess that sucks, but if you have that many people applying to legacy then I guess the wait has to be longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I delete my topic for an error

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url][url=https://ralphrobertspersonaltrainer.com/...utines-for-back-pain]cardio for bad back[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems that after a reasonably steady wait of 1-2 years this year they’ve been hit with a tsunami of folk who have crashed through their 12 in 3-4 years adding to those who have completed their 12 at the usual 1-2 per year.

The program will obviously have to change as next year the allocations would run out to 2029/2030 on the same basis.

The best way IMO would be to cap the number of races you can count towards the 12 to 2/year, and order the queue so those who have been doing IMs for longer have priority.

But with ££££ I suspect they’ll go to 15 or 16 races required.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
Seems that after a reasonably steady wait of 1-2 years this year they’ve been hit with a tsunami of folk who have crashed through their 12 in 3-4 years adding to those who have completed their 12 at the usual 1-2 per year.

The program will obviously have to change as next year the allocations would run out to 2029/2030 on the same basis.

The best way IMO would be to cap the number of races you can count towards the 12 to 2/year, and order the queue so those who have been doing IMs for longer have priority.

I met one guy at IM Chattanooga last year that was blasting through IMs like that. As far as I could tell his sole goal was Kona via Legacy. He seemed to have no performance goals for his IM other than to finish and seemed to imply that once he got there he was finished.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

I met one guy at IM Chattanooga last year that was blasting through IMs like that. As far as I could tell his sole goal was Kona via Legacy. He seemed to have no performance goals for his IM other than to finish and seemed to imply that once he got there he was finished.

So sad...
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [tof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may be just me, but I really wouldn't want a KQ in any fashion but doing so by being fast enough. I'd be pretty embarrassed toeing the line knowing I was about to get absolutely smoked by 75% of the field.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two of my buddies found out yesterday they're slated for 2024.
That sucks! that's a long ways away.

To your point though how many people are going to Kona that haven't qualified based on time alone? When you watch it on TV there's tons of people out there there appear to be much slower then what it would seem to take to qualify for that race. Is that because there are so many legacy slots 4 is it people getting in through other programs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t really have an issue with people just wanting to finish events. I’ve certainly done that with some long endurance events. It just sounded like he was an accountant balancing a checkbook going through each line item. It didn’t sound like he was doing it because he had an enjoyment of the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the rate I'm going, IM every 2 years, and then the backlog with the Legacy program, I think I'm better off waiting until I'm in my late 60's then try to qualify at a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you are eligible for 2025, but you have to "validate" with an IM per year between 2020 and 2025, or 6 more total? That's pretty cheeky move by WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
At the rate I'm going, IM every 2 years, and then the backlog with the Legacy program, I think I'm better off waiting until I'm in my late 60's then try to qualify at a race.

Here's the thing about that... even though there is a drop off - attrition of people due to aging - I would guess the pointy end of the AG is still going to be the pointy end. And with smaller AGs, smaller number of KQs.

So I would say, unless you are really close to KQing now, "waiting until you get older so it will be easier" is likely not going to be a valid route.

Until maybe like 80+. And even then, I wouldn't count on it!
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I missed the original post...
So just supply and demand, the wait is up to 5+ years now after you get your 12?
Yeah I guess that sucks, but if you have that many people applying to legacy then I guess the wait has to be longer.

Basically 46 races at 40 spots, so 1840 plus additional for regional championships.

So about 2000 through normal AG Q. Then tops 100 pros.

So about 400 spots, from the event are sponsor, legacy, lottery, charity, special interest stories...or whatever?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
mattr wrote:

Here's the thing about that... even though there is a drop off - attrition of people due to aging - I would guess the pointy end of the AG is still going to be the pointy end. And with smaller AGs, smaller number of KQs.

So I would say, unless you are really close to KQing now, "waiting until you get older so it will be easier" is likely not going to be a valid route.

Until maybe like 80+. And even then, I wouldn't count on it!

Thank you for killing my dream. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to worry there bud.
Legacy folks start way after everyone else; we surely will not get in your way or the other 75% of the field.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So 18 full IM's at $~750 each...may as well just buy a damn Ventum at $13k in entry fees.

laughable wrote:
Not to worry there bud.
Legacy folks start way after everyone else; we surely will not get in your way or the other 75% of the field.

Lol I'll almost certainly never KQ, I'm just stating how I feel about Kona personally. If people enjoy their experience through the legacy qualifying or fund raising...more power to em. I just wouldn't want to get there that way.
Last edited by: cassinonorth: Mar 7, 20 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question on the extra spots. And the bigger burn is that the weboste says you are applying for the 2022 waitlist.

Have your opinions on the coronavirius but if Kona gets bagged this year..... that 2025 for this guy is going to jump to 2027 real fast.

But there is a great deal of fall-off from this list. I know a few atheltes that got 'called-up' 1-2 years earlier than orignally notified but how the heck are you supposed to plan for that logistically for Kona and your other race schedules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cassinonorth wrote:
So 18 full IM's at $~750 each...may as well just buy a damn Ventum at $13k in entry fees.

If the sole reason for doing the 18 is to get to Kona, then sure. But those races have their own value, people were doing them and paying for them long before the Legacy was a thing. BTW, only 12 of them need to be full IMs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cassinonorth wrote:
This may be just me, but I really wouldn't want a KQ in any fashion but doing so by being fast enough. I'd be pretty embarrassed toeing the line knowing I was about to get absolutely smoked by 75% of the field.

I don't have an issue with who beats me, but I'm starting to feel disenchanted about the legacy program. I used to want to go, but the feeling of not having truly qualified, combined with the fact that they start you in your own separate 'legacy' field behind everyone else, and not included in any placings?.....I dunno, I just don't think I'm interested in paying 10k for a trip to roast my brain in a lava field where I've been allowed to race as an extra just because I racked up enough shitty IM performances lol. Which sucks because it means I'll likely never be going to Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTC has the best marketing stream going. Give a willing person a future Kona date to keep them racing 140.6 for another half a decade or more and you get the prize of Kona! I can see them clearing out the entire legacy program backlog once every 5 years with a spring Kona IM of their own. More tourists, more entries and more revenue.

Doug Marocco USAT #1039 I have been doing this sport for a while!
Last edited by: PT More: Mar 7, 20 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a dude who raced through 12 to get his spot, along with his wife. He finally got it and raced Kona. Then as far as I can tell he quit Ironman and divorced his wife. Tying your identity to an arbitrary goal was bound to end up in disappointment once completed.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Program: I will race in Kona in 2025! [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first Ironman was in 1999 and the last Ironman was in Argentina in December. 13 Ironmans in total. I never raced to totalize 12 Ironman but to do all my best, sometimes well and sometimes less well. At 52 Kona is a dream that I could not have for years and years and so I decided to enter in the Legacy Program. I don't feel Legacy slot a real slot but a wild card for my triathlon passion. But after this news I decide that it's much better to earn my slot than waiting 2025, and so …. Go go go let's race and train!! But for sure I will not follow Ironman indication (one Ironman in 2020, an Ironman or a 70.3 or a 5150 each other year) No no no I will not follow this ridicoulus marketing and I will race more in Challenge circuit ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next