Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days?
Quote | Reply
Next year will be my first in the legacy lottery. Just wondering what the odds are of actually being selected for 2015??

I know for a while it seemed to use an age criteria (I'm 40 fwiw).
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect it's pretty close to guaranteed but I don't know the numbers. There aren't that many people who have done 12+ full IMs. I think 2015 will be pretty easy but it will get harder in the next couple of years.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way to know but I would guess 1 in 20 or less.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Legacy is not a lottery -- it is more accurate to think of it as a wait list. We had fewer than 200 apply this year, 100 got slots in 2014 and the remainder will get 2015 slots if they maintain eligibility. We believe that the wait will get longer over time but for now it is less than 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [CEOIronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CEOIronman wrote:
Legacy is not a lottery -- it is more accurate to think of it as a wait list. We had fewer than 200 apply this year, 100 got slots in 2014 and the remainder will get 2015 slots if they maintain eligibility. We believe that the wait will get longer over time but for now it is less than 2 years.

Props for posting this and pulling back the curtain on the data. Can you help on the other side? About how many people applied for the general lottery this year?
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [CEOIronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Since I didn't get in 2014 i am (somewhat) likely to get in 2015 if i complete my one IM race this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First year applying for legacy and I got in. Looks like a 50/50 chance based on 200 entries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it looks like will need to do about 14 IMs to get to Kona (12 required but maintaining eligibility for 2 years.)....ugh

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this and for the concept of the legacy program. As a legacy non winner, I look forward to next year and hope the knees/hips stay status quo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hummmm - i was eligible this year but did not enter - wanted to wait till next when i age up to 50-54 and could take the HI trip and make it a three week vacation - wonder if that was a good idea or will i be waiting a few years - oh well - someday for sure

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information! This is helpful as I'm already planning out next year's races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this information. I will be legacy eligible next year!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I applied in 2012 & did not get in! I reapplied & was guaranteed a spot for 2013. It was a fantastic experience. Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [ironmancam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke to a friend while at IMFla this year and he had just competed at Kona with a Legacy spot.

He mentioned they took 100 and 6 did not make it, well I guess I was one of the 6. I am curious how true this might be? I guess i'll go and pack my bags and wait.

DL
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [runitaly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a legacy athlete in 2014 and I was told there were less than 200 fully qualified entries for 100 slots.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [runitaly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runitaly wrote:
I spoke to a friend while at IMFla this year and he had just competed at Kona with a Legacy spot.

He mentioned they took 100 and 6 did not make it, well I guess I was one of the 6. I am curious how true this might be? I guess i'll go and pack my bags and wait.

DL

Well damn, if that's true I'm one of the other 6
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [ds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ds wrote:

I'm not certain that CEOIronman is actually affiliated with WTC. He/she has made some very questionable posts on ST. Dan may want to confirm.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:
ds wrote:

I'm not certain that CEOIronman is actually affiliated with WTC. He/she has made some very questionable posts on ST. Dan may want to confirm.

Pretry sure that's been confirmed.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think what the gentleman in florida meant was that 100 were selected and 6 of those 100 didn't go to kona for one reason or another, not that only 6 applicants weren't selected.

Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:
ds wrote:

Sad isn't it?

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [andrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrew wrote:
i think what the gentleman in florida meant was that 100 were selected and 6 of those 100 didn't go to kona for one reason or another, not that only 6 applicants weren't selected.

That makes a lot more sense. I would be very curious to see the statistics on the legacy athletes and compare them to the overall field.
/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are slower than the field as a whole on average. And slower then their respective AGs as well on average. the first because they skew older and the second because the other folks in their AGs qualified by placing higher in IM Qualifying races then the legacy folks--by definition legacy are 0 for 12+ whereas qualifying atheletes are 1+ for 1+ in their qualifying attempts....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
They are slower than the field as a whole on average. And slower then their respective AGs as well on average. the first because they skew older and the second because the other folks in their AGs qualified by placing higher in IM Qualifying races then the legacy folks--by definition legacy are 0 for 12+ whereas qualifying atheletes are 1+ for 1+ in their qualifying attempts....

That follows. Do you have any numbers on finish rate vs the field?

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Legacy Lottery - any idea what the odds are these days? [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't but my hypothesis is Legacy are close to 100% (their one shot and at the end of the day finishing is the prime directive). the field as a whole will have a 5-10 % DNF rate depending on year....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
rcmioga wrote:

That follows. Do you have any numbers on finish rate vs the field?

I would not be surprised if the legacy athlete finish rate was a lot higher than the rest of the field. We are talking about athletes who have COMPLETED 12 IMs. They may not be fast, but they are experienced at getting across the line. They are also not as prone to blowing up like pros or top AGers who are at Kona to win...not to just finish.

The general lottery athletes and the upper AG athletes (65+) are probably the highest DNF rate. There are some lottery athletes that have not even done a full IM before. There are also upper AG athletes who KQ'd simply because they were the only one who finished and wanted the spot...could be they KQ'd with a 16:30+ time. Legacy athletes are not all old. I met about 5 of them while in Kona. One was in his late 30's, and the rest were in the 45-59 AG range. The OP of this thread is 40.
Quote Reply

Prev Next