Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leg shaving
Quote | Reply
I know there was a pretty long thread (I think) on the old forum, about why we do this.. but are there any performace benifits to this.. or is it just something triathletes do to look cool and distinguish ourselves?.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Leg shaving [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shave my legs for three reasons, in this order:
1. I actually do get a massage every Tuesday during training season and the shaved legs facilitate the massage.
2. When (not if) you crash it makes wound management easier (bandage removal, etc.).
3. It looks better and I'm used to it. Girls seem to like it better too.
4. Hair on your legs is gross.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Leg shaving [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicks dig it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dated this girl named Susy. When she saw the shaved legs she turned into a complete freak. It was Girls Gone Wild. She was all about it. Probably should have put that at number 1. Current squeeze seems relatively indifferent.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And a few other reasons ..... it makes it easy to put on sun screen and you can swim faster when they don't allow wetsuits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as above and it reduces Lactic Acid. I can't back this up with reasoning that makes sense but I've heard it a lot and seen some numbers and stats that went straight over my head. Hehe =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any aerodynamic benefit from hairless legs? Swimmers shave their entire bodies before major events, it stands to reason the same would be true for cycling and running.
Quote Reply
Re: Leg shaving [jTenniswood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it makes a huge diffrence for swimming... but since water is so much more thicker than air (duh) it'll have a bigger impact than, say, running.

It might help for cycling. I don't know about running. I don't think anyone runs fast enough to make a noticable diffrence.

just my 2 cents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah i'll definetly agree that chicks dig it. And the sunscreen application is a big factor too, plus it comes with the territory---part of "the lifestyle." Aero advantage? I dont know---it there was its slight.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it looks cool.

Wife likes it.

You get a better feel for the water when swimming.

The elastic on bike pants with hairy legs feels/looks awful.

Here's another question. If you shave your legs do you also shave your chest, shoulders and back(wife does the back). I do probably because it looks sort of incomplete to stop with just the legs. I don't cut off all my under-arm hair but crop it down pretty short. I think it adds a little friction reducing effect in running, but who knows maybe that's the next thing to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not shave untill i got hit by a car in1989,trip to the hospital,wound not cleaned well,got BAD infection,i do think after a few trips to the E R that wounds are cleaned better when your hairless.Randall in tally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about body temperature? Will less hair on the body aid in cooling the body? I recall reading an article some years back regarding the topic, does anyone else have any info?
Quote Reply
Re: Leg shaving [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"chicks dig it"

Depends. One time I was at the LBS with my wife. There was a guy in the shop with very muscular shaved legs. A we were leaving the wife says to me "it's too bad you don't have legs like that. Then you could shave to!!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been shaving my legs longer than I have my face, and frankly, find hairly legs a bit weird. Of course I started hanging out with roadies when I was around 14, so I got "molded" that way. As for performance benefits, I seriously doubt there's much of an aero advantage to it unless you have legs like Chewbacca. Shoe covers like the ones time trialists use would likely save you more time over a given distance. Swimming yes, but only if you shave your whole body (again, unless you're a bear). And I'd be shocked to learn of any run speed benefits to be gained by shaving.

So the basic reasons for (a male triathlete) shaving ones legs are thus:

Peer pressure

Crash rehab/massage convenience

Personal preference

Chicks

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Leg shaving [bigd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the water it's more about the feel than hydrodynamics. Same as in cycling - no real aero benefit but it shows people how serious you are about the sport.

According to my old coaches, it only really helps in swimming if you shave down exclusively for one or two meets per year. Then you get a massive psych-up too.
Quote Reply
Re: Leg shaving [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have legs like Chewbacca thinking about shaving, and wondered if quick regrowth is a problem? Don't really want to get to having to shave daily to keep stubble away.

Only on this forum could I ask this question ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not all chicks like shaved legs. Some women like their men manly. I shaved my legs before my first Ironman and it gave the wife the heeby jeebies. It has no competitive advantage, it's all about group peer pressure. I stopped shaving, got to please the one your with and it was a big pain in the ass. I don't care if I look like a neanderthol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In order of importance...

Visible ritualistic token of joining the tribe and the lifestle.

Clean leg on clean leg feels great (not meaning your left and your right)

Most women like it.

Cleans up nicely when (and if) you crach on the bike.

Aero... oh yeah - whatever.

Just buck up and try it once. The first time is a pain, just be patient. You will likely not look back. Most people I know shave twice a week and you can get it done pretty quickly in the shower with practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was a pure runner and a windsurfer we always shaved our legs for...

Heat Loss!
Quote Reply
Re: Leg shaving [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shaved mine once. My wife got so freaked out, you would have thought she had caught me trying on her underwear. It took months for her to get over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it has been established, and we all seem to have our story straight, that there are arguably real benefits of shaving legs for swimming (better feel of water), cycling (I bet we all hit the pavement at least once a season).

To me the only real question is if there is a true direct benefit for running. After shaving my legs this morning and reading much of this thread - I have concluded YES. I assume most of you like me are good about our pool time, run workouts and ride every chance you get. But how many of us take the time to properly stretch? Given the twists, turns, bends and stretches I need to go through to get my legs shaved I think there is a real benefit for running that results from shaving your legs. It is improved flexibility and balance!

I know this is a bit of a "stretch", but given our need to constantly justify our triathlete lifestyle - I plan to use this rational in the future.

FYI - My wife says she is indifferent, but I would swear that she "checks out" my legs for a few extra seconds when they are shaved.
Quote Reply
Re: Leg shaving [tornado] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my wife got the creeps when i first shaved. she also got nervous that my 3-year-old son was walking around telling people about it. she bothered me about it for weeks. one day i got all romantic on her and shaved her legs for her while we were relaxing in the tub. she does not think it is weird anymore. now i am a sensitive athlete and sexy legs, according to her. so if your chick doesn't like, give this routine a try. a nice bottle of wine and a few candles thrown in for the mix was a nice touch too.

as for the aero benefit, i call BS
Quote Reply
Re: Leg shaving [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah i do the chest too for heat loss purposes----but now its a little bit cooler, and i still do it---cause it looks cool.

The explanation i've heard from a girl before on why she liked it wasnt that the actual legs were sexier or anything---but the fact that i was confident enough to shave them was sexy---

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shaved my legs for the first time in late summer. I do it because of look and less problems after a crash. I don't know if there are any performance benefits.
My wife don't like my shaved legs. But she accepts them during racing season.
Quote Reply