Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leaking Goggles
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know any tricks to prevent goggles from leaking? Mine pass the suction test, where you press them to your face and see if the suction holds them for a few seconds, so I think the fit is OK. During swims longer than 30 minutes they leak just enough to be annoying. I've tried different brands and always seem to have the same problem on the longer swims.
Quote Reply
Re: Leaking Goggles [hugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say keep trying. It took me sometime to find one that really didn't leak.

Or, you have a misshapen head!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you take them off a lot to adjust or do you push them up onto your forehead between sets? I find if my goggles start leaking a little then it's game over: the seal is broken for good. Same if I'm making many adjustments. Once that happens I have to dry both my face and the goggles with a towel in order to get a proper seal again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your nose piece may not be properly adjusted. You should first do the one eye at a time press test, then the both eyes test.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine melt when I leave them in the car on hot days. They don't turn into liquid but they deform enough so water can seep in. I now take my swim bag out of my car during the warmer months.

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tried a Seal mask?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kaiman Kaiman Kaiman Kaiman Kaiman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just bought a pair of TYR metallized velocity racing goggles. The guy in the shop said they will never leak. Sounded good to me : )
They are the beeeeesssssst goggles i've ever had .So comfortable and NEVER leak. I've swam several hour and half swims fantastic,no discomfort what so ever....I always store them in the plastic case they came in so won't scratch.... expensive but worth every cent

I should be on commission
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the owner of 20+ goggles, having tried barracudas, Nikes, tyr, lane four, aquasphere, seal mask, speedos.... I suffer from a big eye/high cheekbone problem, so the skinny goggles fit my face, but press on my eyeballs (not fun), and the larger goggles tend to leak. The water gear ones seem to be somewhere in the middle.

Unfortunately, you gotta try a LOT until you find ones that work. I think the mask and the aqua sphere goggles are terrible, and the Velocity didn't work too well for me either (perfect until I tried to push off the wall, then they leaked). But the beauty is, I do keep them all (just IN CASE for some reason my face changes shape and they do start to work....) so if someone forgets their goggles, I have lots of spares! good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you just need to find another pair that fit better.

I personally use the TYR Technoflex 2 goggles. Kind of pricey but the big suction cup fit works great for me.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Leaking Goggles [turtlegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am right there with you, my amphibian friend. I have probably spent $300+ on goggles in the past two years(how long I've been swimming) and it is hard to find comfortable goggles that seal, don't fog, etc.

The seal mask is okay, but not for pool swimming, and not if you are particularly fast. The Kaimans, and other fixed bridge goggles, only work if they fit your face. The Barracudas are okay, but mine leak, and don't hold well coming off the wall.

I currently use the Tyr RaceTech goggles, and I almost love them. They last 2-3 months before they start to fog up, the cheap strap breaks, and the lenses start to scratch. I have one pair that I extended to 6 months by replacing the cheap strap with a silicon strap, but they still fog up all the time.

For me, the goggles are by far the most frustrating part of the swimming experience. Even moreso than the fact that I am slow.

As far as the extras go, I am always looking to give them away, which is surprisingly hard to do.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a set of Swedish goggles. Ridiculously cheap (~$5 a pair). The comfort factor takes some getting used to, as there is no gasket, and the eye cup suctions straight onto tour eye socket. But they're very leak-free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same problem no matter what goggles I've tried, and I've tried most of them. I thought I found the answer to leak problems with Kaimen AquaSphere. It took them 2-3 months (an eternity for my goggles) to start to leak, but the next pair I bought leaked from the first time I put them on. I hate goggles. My frustration level is really, really high as I was just in masters last night and they leaked the whole workout.

What is also bad is that no matter what goggles I wear, I have the kind of skin that retains the goggle marks for the better part of the day. I've even pretty much given up morning swim workouts before work because I feel ridiculous with these circles around my eyes all day long. I look like I didn't sleep all night. It's really bad. Even today I have them ( at 11:00 a.m.) though I finished masters at 9:30 last night. They're not ultra-visible, but they're defintely there. Maybe it's vanity, but it really does look awful!
Quote Reply
Re: Leaking Goggles [here&anon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh those goggle-eye circle hickeys! I have them right now too at work. I feel like a sleepless zombie man when I look in the mirror. I read that the Barracuda Ultimates prevent this, but they don't. They are, in spite of the false advertising, my favorite goggles and the current pair has lasted almost 8 months (w/out leaking) while swimming 10K a week with them. I tried the whole aquasphere line (even the kaiman's) but they felt like I had a TV set strapped to my face in the water. Ugh!

I wonder if there are any tricks that I'm not aware of for getting rid of these damn goggle eyes?
Quote Reply
Re: Leaking Goggles [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try loosening your goggles a little bit. I find some of my non-swimmer friends all took the approach that the goggles had to be ultra tight to be waterproof. This isn't the case with a good fitting google. The circle hickeys (great word btw) are a result of the pressure on your eyes.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Leaking Goggles [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the VIEW goggles that are corrective. I've used them for over a year--no leaks. They come in a non-corrective. All others I've tried either leak from the start, or within a few months.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Leaking Goggles [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another swedes fan. You really do have to give them about 7-10 practices to get used to them, and they aren't for everyone. But there's a reason why they're so popular in the 5+ hours a day in the pool crew. (and at worst, you're out $4.25 for them)

Just use a piece of the headband as a nosepiece instead of the string and macaroni they give you and you get much, much better adjustability.
Quote Reply