Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leader super bike.
Quote | Reply
Ok maybe not, BUT i'd been having a hard time finding a frame in my budget that fit me after a recent professional bike fit. The fitter put a stem on my bike with a crazy amount of rise and short reach. This looked bad, so I researched aerobar risers for my Vision pads and came up with nothing more than 24mm (I needed almost double that for a horizontal stem). I found some 50mm spacers from Zipp and found the bolt positions strategically did not match up with my vision hole placement, so out came the carbon fiber. I dremeled out material on the spacers where the new bolts would go, made a mold, and essentially made an outer skin of carbon. All of the weight and clamping force is still on the spacers where it would be originally so i'm pretty happy with the result.

While I was at it (and my real reason for posting), I did a bit of carbon detailing on my frame. I added a fairing behind the headtube, two on the sides of the rear brake/wheel cutout area, a single piece of carbon vacuum formed on the outside of my big chainring, and a fairing for the seatpost to slide into as my lease favorite thing about this frame was the standard round post sticking out of the aero seattube.

My stack/reach measurements put me on a shiv or scott plasma...way out of my price range. I have MAYBE $75 worth of materials in this.
original frame[/img]

Modified frame[/img]

Quote Reply
Re: Leader super bike. [speed856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work looks awesome. Especially for a leader :P

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know if it's legal, don't know if it's safe, but damn! That sure looks nice!!!! Very cool!!

---

"Sometimes it's just easier to do it the hard way."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic work. Bravo.
Can I have a close up of the head tube?

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. You have much experience working w/carbon?
Quote Reply
Re: Leader super bike. [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any particular angle? The lighting in my shop is horrible and it's pouring rain at the moment.[/img]

I don't have a TON of experience. I did a good bit in college working on an Industrial Design degree, and have dabbled in it here and there since (graduated in '05).

The only bike i've actually "repaired" is the carbon swing-arm on my mountain bike cracked so I wrapped it, and i've put a layer on a friends carbon steerer tube where the race sits as it was a bit loose from changing multiple crown races i'm assuming?

Actually, I was working on a random carbon piece for my bikes last February when I cut half my thumb off and posted it on here worrying about shifters...search for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bloody marvellous, thanks.
I wish I could attempt something like this, but stuff that doesn´t involves ´hitting it with a hammer´ is normally beyond me.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! I love these DIY mods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I need for my Vision bars! Is there anywhere to get something like this without making anything out of carbon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that is outstanding looking. The up close looks amazing. PM's fillingup with requests yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Leader super bike. [atilley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't find anything that'd work. Vision makes a 25mm kit that raises just the pads over the extensions, but I needed the extensions raised as well.

Zipp has this bad boy:

Which is what I bought hoping it'd work. The bolts on the vision clamp intersect with the outer edges of the Zipp's, so I essentially ground off enough material to where my bolts rested in the ground off crevice of the above riser and wrapped that with carbon. The Zipp risers came with longer bolts, but were a smaller diameter, so I ordered a set of m6x1.0x70's online and it came together nicely. It's just as solid as before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good work, looks great!

Formely stef32
Quote Reply