Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lazer Tardiz, how much time am I losing?
Quote | Reply
I've done a couple of 70.3 races and I've entered my first full distance next year. This year's been fantastic for me in terms of training but with work and life I just haven't been able to schedule in many races. I did just two this year, mechanical ended my first, and I came second overall in a small local Olympic with just over 100 competitors. Wasn't exactly a stacked field but gave me plenty of confidence and a bike course record was a definite boost.

Anyway its getting to that time of year where I start looking at free speed options for next year and potential Christmas presents. I can't really afford to fork out on a new wheelset (I have a Fuji Norcom with stock Oval 50mm wheels, although I will be getting a rear disk cover before next season)

Anyway I currently use a Lazer Tardiz helmet, which I love because of the magnetic straps but it does fail the eyeball aero test pretty miserably. I've liked the look of a Met Drone for ages (ex swimmer, fairly wide shoulders) but the newer breed of aero helmets just LOOK so much faster (and they just look cooler...)

Question is how much am I likely to be losing? I'm assuming it's actually a pretty small amount and will most likely upgrade regardless, but I'd love to have a rough guide. Can't seem to find any wind tunnel info on the Tardiz!
Quote Reply
Re: Lazer Tardiz, how much time am I losing? [Pb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's never tested well the few times we've tested it.

Go with some of the proven helmets out there. Not sure what your exact time savings would be. You could reasonably expect half a second to 2sec / km as your range of improvement

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Lazer Tardiz, how much time am I losing? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Lazer Tardiz also, is it any better than my Bontranger Ballista aero road helmet?
Quote Reply
Re: Lazer Tardiz, how much time am I losing? [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe or maybe not. I can't recall ever testing those 2 helmets on the same person.

I can get you in the tunnel in early Nov if you want to test them. LMK

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Lazer Tardiz, how much time am I losing? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
it's never tested well the few times we've tested it.

Go with some of the proven helmets out there. Not sure what your exact time savings would be. You could reasonably expect half a second to 2sec / km as your range of improvement

Would that generally be the same diff between a typical aero road helmet like the giro vanquish or Spec evade, VS a garneau p-09?
Quote Reply
Re: Lazer Tardiz, how much time am I losing? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's very rare when an aero road helmet is going to beat one of the well designed true aero helmets. Probably 3/200 times. If you're going to bet I know which side of the odds I'm taking.

It's a huge range so it's pretty safe to expect yourself to fall in that range. Maybe you're pretty insensitive to helmet changes and you see .5sec or less per km. Maybe you're very sensitive & you see a 1.5sec or > change. hard to say what your exact # will be.

If I'm not testing I would choose one of the top 2 or 3 helmets that we've discussed over the last year or so and go with that.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply