Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lay your bike flat in a pickup truck bed
Quote | Reply
There is nothing on the market allowing you to transport your bike flat in the bed of a pickup. Reviews of bike racks for pickups say it can't be done without damaging your bike.
Say you want to swim in the morning, go to work, then do a training ride?
If you're like me, no way do you want to risk getting your bike stolen, but you love the convenience of taking your bike with you.
Would you buy a rack to safely carry your bike flat in the bed of your pickup?
I don't care if you don't own a pickup, maybe you have an SUV. What do you think?
Quote Reply
Re: Lay your bike flat in a pickup truck bed [SteckMark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tonneau cover?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does it need to lay flat? I have a Thule Instagator that locks and I've left my bike in the bed of my truck tons of times with no issues. You could also use a bike lock to lock it to the tie downs in the bed in addition to the rack lock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-tele, yes, a Tonneau cover.
Conner, that's great that you can leave your bike unattended and locked, but exposed. Two problems. One is that thieves can be quite industrious, and certainly some areas of town are safer than others (I practice medicine in an "underserved" area). The second problem is that your bike remains exposed both when you're driving and when you are parked somewhere.
It's preferable to keep the bike under the Tonneau cover for security and to protect it from the elements.
Thanks for both your comments!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I would not. I would put it in the cab. Nobody drives a standard cab and hardly anyone drives a double cab. Easily fits in a crew cab. Or I'd buy a topper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drive a pickup and have stored my bike lying flat under the bed cover quite a few times while out shopping and what not after a group ride. I have a locking tailgate which helps as well. My bed cover is electric, so no way anyone can get into it without the remote for the bed cover or the tailgate key.
Quote Reply
Re: Lay your bike flat in a pickup truck bed [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
I drive a pickup and have stored my bike lying flat under the bed cover quite a few times while out shopping and what not after a group ride. I have a locking tailgate which helps as well. My bed cover is electric, so no way anyone can get into it without the remote for the bed cover or the tailgate key.

Yep, it'd be much easier to break into the cab of my truck than the bed.
Quote Reply
Re: Lay your bike flat in a pickup truck bed [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
Tonneau cover?

^ this. A basic roll-up cover is about $350, and you should be able to put a moving blanket down to lay down your bike and protect it. You can use bungie cords (padded) to strap it to the tie-down points as well, to avoid slippage. Yes, I've done all these things myself with several different pickups.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 years of driving my Tacoma with a hard tonneau cover and locking tailgate (wired into the remote lock for the truck too). Lay it down, and I had a bungee cord that I hooked to the pedal to hold the bike against the side wall and front (pulled to the front driver's corner). Wrap a towel around the handlebars, the only other touch point is the tire rubber and the side of the pedal.

If you didn't know it was there, there is no way to know. Only negative is doing it this way, in a small pickup, you only have room for 1 bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteckMark wrote:
There is nothing on the market allowing you to transport your bike flat in the bed of a pickup. Reviews of bike racks for pickups say it can't be done without damaging your bike.
If you're like me, no way do you want to risk getting your bike stolen, but you love the convenience of taking your bike with you.
I don't care if you don't own a pickup, maybe you have an SUV. What do you think?

I built a rack for the back of my truck for about $60 and it holds two bikes but they have to stand up and lock in place with a key. However sometimes that isn't good enough so I put my bike inside my truck. It fits in the back seat. I flip the seats up put my bike(trek speed concept) in the back and turn the wheel to make the bike shorter. It fits just fine, aerobars and all.
Quote Reply
Re: Lay your bike flat in a pickup truck bed [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had a Nissan Frontier with a cover on the back that raised. I put rubber floor mats down that I bought at Sams and then a comforter over the rubber mats. Would ride in the morning, slide the bike in and close the tailgate and cover and lock them both and never had a problem or damage. The cover was about $400 installed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t understand the comment on damaging your bike. I’ve laid many bikes on their non-derailleur side, in cars, vans, SUVs, and pick-ups over the last 45 years, and have never damaged one.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Lay your bike flat in a pickup truck bed [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much same here. I have a 1/2 ton truck with a bed cover and often have to transport two bikes. For 1 bike, I’ll put it in the back seat area with the seats folded up, removing the front wheel.

When I have to move two bikes, I put the second one in the bed, derailleur side up, and then I put a folded moving blanket underneath the crank area to provide some support in the middle of the bike. I also have a bed rug, so the bed of the truck is basically carpeted and cushioned. Very convenient because I don’t remove a wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Lay your bike flat in a pickup truck bed [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I don’t understand the comment on damaging your bike. I’ve laid many bikes on their non-derailleur side, in cars, vans, SUVs, and pick-ups over the last 45 years, and have never damaged one.

I always lay mine down in the bed under a hard tonneau cover. I typically put a blanket underneath to stop any rubbing/scratching against the sprayed-on bed liner. It's out of sight this way. In the back seat it's much easier for any would-be thief to spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Lay your bike flat in a pickup truck bed [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
No I would not. I would put it in the cab. Nobody drives a standard cab and hardly anyone drives a double cab. Easily fits in a crew cab. Or I'd buy a topper.

Exactamundo, this is why I bought a F150 instead of an Expedition, goes right into the 2nd row standing up with both wheels on.
Quote Reply
Re: Lay your bike flat in a pickup truck bed [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an F150 also, crew cab. Doesn’t seem like a tri bike would fit with the wheels on but I’ll try it next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laying my bike flat in the bed, on its pedal, led to the crankset needing to be replaced. The mechanic warned me that resting the bike on its pedal could also damage the bottom bracket.

A recent review of the best truck bed bike racks warned: "You could simply set the bike down in the truck bed, but that could damage it during the drive. The force from turns or sudden stops could toss it around or fling it out of the bed itself. It could also scratch or dent the truck’s paint." https://www.thedrive.com/...truck-bed-bike-racks

Thanks for all your comments! I'm glad to hear that others like to keep their bikes under a Tonneau cover!
Quote Reply
Re: Lay your bike flat in a pickup truck bed [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I have, 5'6" bed. My bike just fits lengthwise (Specialized Roubaix). You could remove your front wheel, which also makes the bike less awkward when you lift it into the bed. I used to have a 6'6" bed with my 2009 F150, but recently upgraded to a 2019 King Ranch F150. I gotta tell you, it's a nice truck. Drove home from Florida to Ohio a couple months back in one day very comfortably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, one more post then I'll pause for the day....

A friend of mine actually sold his pickup and changed to an SUV because there wasn't a bike rack to go under his Tonneau cover. He is accepting the risk that someone may break into his SUV to get his bike. I don't know about you, but I don't know if I'd be more upset that my vehicle was broken into or that my bike was stolen! I'd miss that dang bike!!!!

Again, thanks for your comments!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The crankset issue you mentioned is why I support the middle of the bike with a moving blanket. There is still some pressure on the pedal but it's quite a bit less than without the blanket.

I have a 2019 Raptor, after having an F250 diesel. The Raptor is a great all around truck, FAST, and really fun in the sand, although it sacrifices a lot of towing capacity for offroad ability. I used to tow a lot, between an RV and race car trailer, but sold those toys and didn't need the towing capacity any more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I have an F150 also, crew cab. Doesn’t seem like a tri bike would fit with the wheels on but I’ll try it next time.

I have a Honda Ridgeline. With back seats up, Tri Bike and Road Bike fit easily. Just need to turn the front wheel 90 degrees. I usually use a bungee cord to secure bike to head rest supports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteckMark wrote:
Laying my bike flat in the bed, on its pedal, led to the crankset needing to be replaced. The mechanic warned me that resting the bike on its pedal could also damage the bottom bracket.

I find this statement very suspect. What could possibly go wrong with a crankset that would require replacement?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are really worried, just but a piece of thick foam the size of your bike. A blanket would work well too, that's what I use. No issues in 10+ years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll fit. Even my MTB fits if I push the passenger front seat pretty far forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteckMark wrote:

I have a tonneau cover on my truck bed. I lay my bike down in the bed all the time. Not sure what the question is?
Quote Reply

Prev Next