Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex Tubes sizing
Quote | Reply
Quick question what issues would I have if I put an 700 X 18-20 latex tube in a 700 X 23 width tire? The 700 X 22-23 latex tubes have a longer stem (40mm vs 36mm) than what my disc can accept as a result the crack pipe won't fit in.

Thoughts

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes sizing [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll probably be fine. I've done this before with Michelin latex tubes and Vittoria Corsa Evo 23's and didn't notice the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes sizing [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and if you look at AFM's rolling resistance tables, you'll notice that it should be just a little bit faster, too.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree they will fit, but what manufacture? Michilin 36mm are measure from bottom of stem to top of knurled valve closed.......So about 40 to top I believe.....Vittoria's are 51 to top
edit....may be more than 40mm to top of stem........I think michelins on my hed 3's.....will check and get back to you
Last edited by: Kenney: Dec 30, 11 15:36
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes sizing [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to get the Michelin Aircomp Latex, as I am running a Zipp 900 Disc (clincher). I am trying to avoid having to dremel the valve area longer/wider to accommodate a longer valve stem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not know about the Zipps. I have them in Hed3's, so you can post and ask if the well is different. I just measure mine, or tried to. I am 99% sure I have Vittoria tubes. Went with the 51. At the time I rather have the 23 size tube, Was afraid that the smaller tube would be more fragile being stretched more. Michilin had a 42mm valve, but add the 5 to 6mm above the knurled valve since they measure differently and it was a wash.......By pulling the valve out, it does work with my blackburn pump......not sure with my lezeyne (sp?) pump, ......Sorry if this does not help, but add at least 5mm to a michilin tube size on the valve
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes sizing [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Michelin 18-20 latex tube in my Zipp 900 disc. No Dremel required; and I love to Dremel.

-Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes sizing [markharms234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use the width 20 or 23 tires with the 18-20 latex tubes?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
23mm wide tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After doing a search on the forums....

Thought I would bring this up as I just purchased a 900 disc as well and am trying to find a latex tube with the shortest stem.

The Michelin latex tube you use, is that the 36mm valve stem model?

Thanks!

http://www.fraserbicycle.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes sizing [PPI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, Michelin 18-20mm, 36mm valve stem latex tubes in a 900 clincher disc. -Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got this same issue with my 900 clincher disc. Is the 36mm valve stem "shorter" on an 18-20 tire as compared to a 20-23 tire? Sounds like the Michelin 36mm latex tubes actually measure closer to 40mm? I put a butyl Continental 36mm tube on yesterday and was able to get it aired up with the crack pipe but it took a good bit of moving the valve stem around to get it out and even then it leaked a bit of air. I'm about resigned to finding a butyl tube with a 32mm stem or powering up the Dremel....

Randy
Quote Reply
Re: Latex Tubes sizing [slornow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I will double-check tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Double checked: I am using Michelin 18-20 latex tubes with 36mm valves in my 900 clincher disc, and have adequate room to inflate them with a right-angle pump adapter. The end of the stem comes to about the middle of the opening in the disc. To be thorough, I measured the length of the valve stem and it measured 36mm from the bottom of the stem to the top of the knurled nut when closed (not the threaded bolt).

-Mark
Last edited by: markharms234: Mar 19, 12 18:30
Quote Reply