Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lateral knee pain ?
Quote | Reply
Question for you runners, coaches, PT, shoe peeps out there. Just finished NC 70.3 this week (after IM Tremblant 8 week prior) and had a similar new pain occur. At Tremblant (during 2nd half of mary) and NC (after the race), I developed a lot of inflammation and pain at the lateral epicondyle of my right tibia. I am assuming it is at the point of attachment of the ITB. Both courses have some sections of rollers. For both I was running in a comfortable pace at MT (low 9s) and for NC (8:06 pace). I run in Saucony Pro 3s and the predominant wear pattern is centered over the lateral heel area. I've been averaging 27-32 miles per week for the main 6 week training block prior to NC in Sept/Oct and about 33-38 miles per week for the 8 weeks of peak training for IM (if this makes any difference) in July/Aug

When I run on a flat 1/2 marathon (7:27 pace) in the spring, I had no pain whatsoever. I suspect
that I must have some gait imbalance/foot strike that occurs with incline/decline. And perhaps the Saucony Pro 3 is not the right shoe for me. Does this seem like a reasonable assumption? Any thoughts on other shoes? Finally, is a gait analysis worth it or can I just bring my shoe to a running store and have them give me other options after they look at my shoes

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Lateral knee pain ? [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can do a gait analysis but if you have ITB pain it's pretty much being caused by weak glutes (specifically the glute med) and/or a weak TFL. Personally I wouldn't waste time and money with gait or shoe analysis, I'd start focusing on strengthening those hips and glutes before you try doing any meaningful running volume.
Quote Reply
Re: Lateral knee pain ? [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
You can do a gait analysis but if you have ITB pain it's pretty much being caused by weak glutes (specifically the glute med) and/or a weak TFL. Personally I wouldn't waste time and money with gait or shoe analysis, I'd start focusing on strengthening those hips and glutes before you try doing any meaningful running volume.

100% agree.

If I start having any type of knee pain, I pretty much don't even think "could it be my shoe choice". It's almost always a muscle deficit (usually glutes) that need strenghening.
Quote Reply
Re: Lateral knee pain ? [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I guess I'm just surprised as I've never had lateral knee pain and I've been consistently training 10-15 hours per week for the past few years. Would it be because my run volume has gone up over the past two years and that has unveiled the deficiency.

Good thing that I was planning on lots of core and lower body strengthening this offseason :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old lungs wrote:
Thanks. I guess I'm just surprised as I've never had lateral knee pain and I've been consistently training 10-15 hours per week for the past few years. Would it be because my run volume has gone up over the past two years and that has unveiled the deficiency.

Good thing that I was planning on lots of core and lower body strengthening this offseason :-)

To me, running injuries are always strange as they just pop up out of nowhere. You think you are on top of the world, and then boom, there goes an injury. But, almost every time I develop a new injury, it is because I have stopped (or backed off) my strength training. You'd think I'd learn my lesson by now :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITBS is kinda like a heart attack, you've probably been working on it for some time but it doesn't show up until a sharp increase in volume, intensity, etc. causes it to show up. For me it was increased intensity right when winter hit, and without a proper warmup all of a sudden my knee starting hurting. The only real way to get rid of the problem is to 1) REST. And 2) strengthen the hips. If it's mild it should only take a few weeks of rest and targeted strength exercises before you can slowly return to running.
Quote Reply