Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lateral Foot Pain, couldn't find a thread to post to
Quote | Reply
I am sure there is a thread for this but couldn't find one, so sorry for starting new thread.

10 Days ago I went for a run no issues at all felt great. The next day got up no pain felt great. Did my dynamic warm up and felt great.

Took my first step and bam intense pain(9/10) took five steps and it was like a 2/10. Felt like where the peroneus longus is. Then it subsided and came back later in the run so I pulled the plug.

Since then the pain has gotten worse or the same just depends. Went to the ortho and he things it could be a partial tear of the peroneus longus. There is no pain when palpating or massaging. No pain when doing the inversion/eversion tests. The only way to get the pain is to do a toe hop. The first 3 days there was no pain walking around then it became painful just walking around.

It is actually best when I get up in the morning and take five steps. I then put it in the boot and then it becomes painful in the boot if I am walking around. Then 20 minutes later it doesn't hurt in the boot. He feels there might be intrasheath subluxation going on as well. I am getting an MRI this week or next week depending on availability.

Anybody else have a quick pain like this with this area? What questions should I be asking or diagnostics I should be asking for? Any other advice. Right now I am wanting to know if the retinaculum is torn or if there is a tear in the tendon.
Quote Reply
Re: Lateral Foot Pain, couldn't find a thread to post to [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had pain like that, both in timing and severity. I doubt there’s a tear, as the pain would occur with palpation, range of motion, etc. I also doubt the efficacy of an MRI, as it’ll be interpretive and the reader is ‘under pressure’ to find something. It would also feel better with a boot.
Intra sheath subluxation is interesting, but also also doubtful, IMO.
At the lateral aspect of the foot, I tend to look at the sneaker as a mitigating factor. There could be pressure over a tendon or joint at this very sensitive area. If the peroneal tendon/muscle goes into spasm, this could aggravate the area.

I know it’s not a glamorous fix, but try some alternate lacing. Loop the lace through the slit in the tongue to drag it medially. This may lessen lateral pressure.
Also check your that your other shoes aren’t causing lateral irritation.
Good luck!

Dr Jay
http://www.Tri-Pod.net
Quote Reply
Re: Lateral Foot Pain, couldn't find a thread to post to [aikiman44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Jay, thanks for the feedback. Ya, I am not running anytime soon. Walking is painful right now, but doing eversion isometrics have helped a lot. I will keep that in mind as I progress though, thanks again!
Quote Reply