Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Last Minute Switch - Felt B2
Quote | Reply
I've been offered a Felt B2 to ride at IMMOO in 2 weeks (friend broke his arms (both!) and can't race). Sized it up while watching the marathon Sunday and all feels pretty good. Would be a switch from a traditional lightweight road frame (Wilier) with Syntace aerobars and bullhorns, STI shifters, and the saddle all the way forward. That said, I did qual on the Wilier last year and road it in Kona. My position on the B2 feels good, in particular my arm/torso angles are better, providing less neck/upper back pain (top tube on the Wilier is probably too long for ideal position). Sooo....

1) Ride the B2, even though I'll have less than 200 of my 4500+ training miles on it this year?

2) If yes, I'm not certain about the seat height on a steep angle bike - is there more risk in having it slightly too high, or slightly too low?

3) The Tektro bar-end brake levers appear to have no bar-end plugs. Is there something that should go in there that won't pop out when the lever is activated?

Any thoughts from the experts would be appreciated. Tom Demerly, this bike came from your shop, so any input you can provide would be great.

Thanks.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: Last Minute Switch - Felt B2 [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you change what was working for you this close to the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally would be very hesitant to do it. You clearly are capable of putting out a good time on your Wilier. Why would you want to change something that has been proven to work for you this late in the game?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say you have enough mileage in (keep in mind I take risks and have a high tolerance for risk)

if you've done enough long rides on it to know if it feels good or not, then, what's the problem? seems like you'll have less neck pain in the end anyway.

ultimately though, the fact that you have to ask really tells alot. if it felt right you wouldn't question it.~kittycat
Quote Reply
Re: Last Minute Switch - Felt B2 [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, the "why" you and JohnA ask is a good question. My basic answer is: #1 the issue of fit/aero position/comfort - I may be more comfortable not so stretched out, and #2 although I hate to admit it, I covet those nice tri-bikes that fill the racks at every race I attend! I know #2 is not valid, but for a guy who has never spent more than $1750 for a top-of-the-line used bike, it's an issue of making me "feel" fast. Also, the fact that I qual'd before doesn't guarantee success again - I finished 10th in my AG, at the tail end of the slots w/o relying on rolldown in IMLP. Given the limited number of AG slots in Wisc (72 vs. 90) and the larger # of entrants, I'm looking for any advantage I can find!

_________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride your bike.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good question. Boy, I'll tell you, I am not a person who likes to make equipment changes in the 11th hour. I think if you have dependable equipment that works- stick with it. Be sure your maintenance is perfect and use what you are most accustomed to.

That is risk reduction. Too many unknowns with new/different equipment. To me, at least in my opinion, the benefits do not validate the risks.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Last Minute Switch - Felt B2 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input- that's the way I'm leaning. However, if I do show up to Madison w/ the Felt on my Jeep, any thoughts on whether bar-end plugs are needed on the Tektro brakes?

_________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't think it would be that big of a deal to switch at this point. If you're comfortable on the Felt and you can prove to yourself that you're and faster on it then give it a mechanical once over and go for it.

But that's not the real issue. IMO the Wilier is the more trick bike. I'd ride it.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Minute Switch - Felt B2 [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right about the Willy, it is trick - rode it 530 miles clear across the Pyrenees one week this summer and it performed like a champ. That was in the "roadie" setup, it's the TT setup that I'm questioning my comfort with. Guess I'll ride the Felt for 10 more days and then make the call.

_________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If yuo're riding the Felt for the next 10 days, then you should race in the Felt. But my opinion, don't touch the Felt and ride your normal bike, too late to change. Riding the Felt for the next days and then riding the Willier is the worst case scenario.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Last Minute Switch - Felt B2 [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aw, phooey on all you guys. I say go with what you know. Why change?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Last Minute Switch - Felt B2 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh... Tom... that's my opinion too...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply