Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lanzarote
Quote | Reply
After Tom's thread on Lanzarote, I got thinking. I might have think a bit two much since I am now thinking of doing IM Lanzarote instead of Austria. So here are my questions :

How much can it cost to spend a week in Lanzarote(accomodation, food...)? Please tell the currency :)

How steep are the hills?

Thanks for your help

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been doing some research and not coming up with too much good info on cost of accomodations. There are certainly some good training camps- there were good links to them in the previous thread. Julian (jk_allen13) is the fella who brought me up to speed on Lanzarote when he was here last week.

The Lanzarote Club La Santa website doesn't have info on accomodation costs though. I am told you rent a little apartment or something. Hmmmm.

Yup, any additional info would be helpful.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to just try and book a package holiday for the period you want to be there. the package deals can be pretty cheap, and not everyone's going to be going for the ironman.

I went to Lanzarote about 8 years ago, cost me 200 quid for the week, self catering, including flights.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to IM Lanzarote in 2002. It's a magical place.

Cost-wise, the two bedroom bungalow I rented was in the neighborhood of $1,200-$1,500 for two weeks. It was furnished nicely and I found it online:

http://www.holiday-rentals.com/

As for food, restaurant prices are reasonable. Although it's a vacation area, it's not too spendy. Grocery prices are slightly higher due to the fact that pretty much everything is imported from the mainland. I ate "out" a few times during my stay and probably spent $300-$400 on food.

Club LaSanta is also a very attractive spot. I stayed in Puerto del Carmen (where the race starts and finishes), and I preferred that to staying at LaSanta and having to ride a bus across the island (20-25 mins). Either works fine, I was a little more interested in getting away from the hustle and bustle of race activity.

I have also done IM Austria in the past (2000). Both of these races are terrific events and I enjoyed them both for different reasons.

Lanzarote is more exotic. There is plenty to see and do. Nightlife is great, fabulous restaurants and numerous MUST SEE spots all over the island. I actually rented a moped for a week to see the island and ride the bike course. Note: make sure you know where all the gas stations are on the island before venturing off on such a trip... else you might be pushing a scooter for longer than you may like. ;o)

Austria has many endearing features of it's own. Klagenfurt is a day trip away from Venice, Italy and there isn't anything like seeing the Alps on the train. The atmosphere and the people are terrific and hard to beat anywhere.

My own assessment FWIW is that Lanzarote is the perfect IM to do for a vacation/romantic getaway. With the nightlife, the restaurants, the artistic landmarks (Cesar Manrique was a local art/architectural hero born on the island), the seculded beaches and all the vineyards around the island it seems to be designed for couples.

Austria, on the other hand is more of your standard european getaway. It's easy to blend in, in Austria and take day trips or just enjoy the local fare. Life goes by a slower tempo there, or so it seems without having the ultra-slow beach pace of life.

Either place is a great destination, and you are sure to enjoy it. Feel free to shoot me a personal message if you'd like any advice on must-see spots.

Jeff Larson

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Ghandi
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote [JstTriN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jeff,

The reason I might change my plan is that I went to Austria last year. I was supposed to race the IM but got real sick a few days before. Since I couldn't do the race, they changed my subscription for 2005. So now I have to decide between going to Austria (where I'm already subscribed) or going to Lanzarote and see a new place. I'll check that web site, thanks for the info.

Richard

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MY wife & I went to Tenerife for our honeymoon (1992) Wanted to visit Lanzarote, but didn't get there. We found the Canaries favorably priced with Hawaii. The exchange rate was good, but that was Pasetas / US$, not Euro / US$.

Good surf too.

http://surf.radikalboard.com/area.asp?IDA=2

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote [JstTriN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know the grades of the major climbs ?

Thanks

Richard

Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know there is surfing there...I guess I'll have to plan to include it in my taper :D

Richard

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I'm probably among the worst of judges for determing grades of climbs. I do recall that none of the climbs in Lanzarote are all that steep, however due to the steady wind that blows across the entire island most of them feel like they are.

There are numerous climbs which are out of the saddle-types not because they are so steep, but instead because you have a constant 30-40 mph blowing right in your face. To make matters worse, when you get out of the saddle you become a human parachute slowing you down even further.

If I were guessing I'd say the climbs are all under 10%, probably in the neighborhood of 5-8% for the most part. It's probably easier for me to compare to other IM courses. There is a lot of terrain like Richter Pass in Canada, but not much steeper.

On a separate note, I wouldn't plan on sailboarding on Lanzarote. Teneriffe is known for it's terrific beaches and fantastic surfing and windsailing... although Lanzarote has the wind, it doesn't have the beaches on the same parts of the island. I didn't get a chance to visit any of the other surrounding islands, but from the limited research I did, they all seem to have very different characteristics.

Hope this helps...

Jeff Larson

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Ghandi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Lads,

First time poster on this board but I've been an avid lurker for the last three years! Anyhow I'm thinking of going for an IM next year so all the advice I can gleam from ye folks will be much appreciated.

I just returned from a two week vacation to Lanzarote. I'm from Ireland and just completed the Dublin marathon after a hectic season of triathlon racing. Surfing is a passion of mine so Lanza was a trip for chillin and enjoying the warm water waves, both of which my girlfriend and I managed to do successfully!

While on the Island I checked out Club La Santa and all I can say is that it's like Euro-disney for athletes. It has the added bonus of having a legend right-hand point break and left reef less than 400m from an open air 50m pool. I digress but I was sold!

Accommodation is cheap in the winter. I saw apartments advertised on the north side of the Island for around 130euros a week. two or three of you and thats dirt cheap. Mind you it won't have a pool for that price! The island is relatively small and rent-a-cars are pretty cheap also (140euros a week).

The landscape on the Island is spectacular and the roads are good for biking. I spend the downtime thinking about doing IM Austria next year however after returning from Lanza, I'm half contemplating tackling it as my first IM race. It;s in May so that leaves 6 months for training. Winter months in Ireland could prove to be a problem with the light and rain but I fancy a challenge and "The worlds hardest IM race" could prove just that! Am I mad??

What do the experienced ones say?

Thanks,

Ray.

Galway Triathlon Club.
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote [RayO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray

I don't think you are mad- just surprised that you have jumped from the TI forum! IM Lanzarote has to be your bet, just to avoid the 3DTri hordes in Austria (I rode a lot of the Lanzarote course in prep. for IMFrance last year, with Garmin 201 GPS and there were no grads over 6%, apart from short sections of Mirador). Not doing IM this year but planning on Lanzarote in 06 (If they continue to keep it on the calendar, despite the rumours of it's demise).

"That which we achieve too easily, we esteem too lightly "Thomas Paine
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote [TriGav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gav,

If you would be kind enough to drop me an email sometime (see TI website or galwaytriathlon.com), I'd like to ask you some questions on Im training etc. I'm going long next year I reckon and if not Lanza then it'll be Austria.

Ray.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Richard, sorry I only just got to see this thread. The currency is now the Euro, you can get the grades either off the course profile on the race site or from the downloaded course on Computrainer.com.

I was to do it myself next year but am having to take a raincheck and limit my IM excursions this year to Penticton, having a gf in Vancouver is kind of expensive!I was going to get an apartment near Puerto de Carmen so as to be close to the start/finish and be able to train on the course (swim and run), you will be on the bike course wherever you are in the island

Speak to you soon, pm me if you want anymore info I can help with. Anything for a fellow Bikesport groupie!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Julian,

Too bad your not coming! I'm still looking for people to share an apartment on Del Carmen to cut the expenses a bit.

I saw the profile on the web site but I wanted a little more and finally had a great description of the bike course by the race director. If anyone is interested, go to this thread where I posted it : http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=Lanzarote;#241631

Thanks Julian! Hope we'll get to meet someday

Richard

Last edited by: rferron: Nov 17, 04 8:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get across ti Penticton in August and it's a done deal, Richard. OR I'll host you in Dorset.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply