Quote | Reply
GOOD!
Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [strongnshaved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is getting retarded. What's next, denied entry into RAGBRAI? Is the local swimming hole going to tell him to go home? Banned from hula-hoop contests? Maybe banned from that restaurant that gives you a free monster burger if you eat it in 90 minutes?

I'm betting any other caught-doping TdF rider could still run Chicago. (Or if not, ONLY b/c they now banned Lance so they would want to *appear* fair. Had they not banned Lance first, they would have let the others in.)
Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [chemsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chemsmith wrote:
This is getting retarded. What's next, denied entry into RAGBRAI? Is the local swimming hole going to tell him to go home? Banned from hula-hoop contests? Maybe banned from that restaurant that gives you a free monster burger if you eat it in 90 minutes?

I'm betting any other caught-doping TdF rider could still run Chicago. (Or if not, ONLY b/c they now banned Lance so they would want to *appear* fair. Had they not banned Lance first, they would have let the others in.)

+1

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chemsmith wrote:

+2

This is getting stupid.

Raf
http://www.shutuplegs.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually he is only banned from sports that subscribe to the WADA code. He could still do unsanctioned events, or sports that allow "free range" doping like the NFL and MLB.

Sucks to get caught for doping and trafficking in PED's I guess.

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chemsmith wrote:

No.

Banned from sports whose governing bodies are signatories of USADA/WADA.

Lance can hula-hoop all he wants.

People are simply following their own rules. He got caught (if I may add the word finally). He gets banned.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [raflopez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it getting stupid?

He has (or will be) sanctioned by USADA and therefore WADA. As a result any event sanctioned by a WADA signatory is required to uphold the sanctions.

I'm pretty certain that the Chicago marathon is sanctioned by USATF, which through various means is a signatory of WADA, so as a result he cannot compete.

You're ridiculous for thinking it's ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm betting any other caught-doping TdF rider could still run Chicago.

Depends. First offenses get two years. Second offenses get a life-time ban. My understanding, is these stretch across all sanctioned sports who are signatory with WADA and sporting events. So if you get the first ban, serve your time , then you can come back and race as you like in your chosen sport or any sport. The life time ban, would end all of that, and my guess is that you would not be welcome nor could you enter any and all sanctioned sports events. In most cases it's moot, because most Pro athletes upon retirement, don't look to compete in other sports( there are the odd exceptions).

With regards to the Armstrong situation, it's a bit different. There was no two year initial sentence. The language used that I have seen is "A life-time ban". This is what USADA is saying. We are still not sure what the UCI will do and what when that will happen.

The Chicago Marathon is run under the auspices of the USTF which is a member of the IAAF which is a signatory of WADA, thus a banned cyclist, would not be allowed to run in the Chicago Marathon.

Examples: David Millar could run in the Chicago marathon if he wanted to, but Tyler Hamilton could not.

People may not like them, and they may seem absurd and ridiculous, but those are the rules.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 7, 12 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally agree with this.. They are just following the rules and the process. He is not above them nor should get his own set of rules simply because he has a foundation.
But being banned when he was going to be running with the Livestrong running group just adds humor to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I'll stand corrected on the technicalities.

Still retarded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garry wrote:
totally agree with this.. They are just following the rules and the process. He is not above them nor should get his own set of rules simply because he has a foundation.
But being banned when he was going to be running with the Livestrong running group just adds humor to it.

I guess the days of using Livestrong as a shield are waning.

He is currently banned.
ALL events that ascribe to USADA/WADA rules therefore MUST BAN HIM from competition.

He can, and does, race events that are not signatories of USADA/WADA.
As lame as I (and Conrad Stoltz) think that sorta thing is.

It's not any more complicated than that.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [TonyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Actually he is only banned from sports that subscribe to the WADA code. He could still do unsanctioned events, or sports that allow "free range" doping like the NFL and MLB. "

Because God forbid cycling ever try to emulate the two of the most successful sports leagues in the world. Cycling needs to get its head out of its ass, and realize that if it keeps tearing down its history they will not have any fans for the future. They certainly aren't going to have much in the way of sponsors. Guess what EVERYBODY doped back then. Get over it. And just because Lance doped deosn't mean your little boy will too. In fact I would argue that Lance doping and winning 7 tdf's did more good for the sport than if he stayed clean and never won a tour.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay! Ends justifies the means!! Whoo-HOO!!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must work for the UCI. Its that exact attitude that has kept the omerta of cycling going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as he said, "enough is enough," he clearly isn't giving up. He's no dummy. He knew that he was going to be denied entry. This is just another one of his lame PR moves.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We are still not sure what the UCI will do and what when that will happen."

Of course what UCI decides to do only applies to cycling events. All other sports will look to WADA, who appears to be ready to support USADA's request for a lifetime ban. I guess we'll see when USADA has supplied the reasoned opinion document.

In a completely unlikely, but apparently possible situation, LA could ironically find himself banned for life by WADA and unable to compete in any other WADA sports, but UCI could disregard or reduce the ban and sanctions of past race results to the point that he could even compete again at some point. (Such a situation is more than just unlikely...it's preposterous...but as far as I understand the way this works, entirely possible, and surely to the complete destruction detriment to the UCI if it even tried it. IOC, at a minimum, would probably remove the biggest raison d'etre for UCI pretty damn quick for such a lunatic move.)

Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rickn wrote:
"Actually he is only banned from sports that subscribe to the WADA code. He could still do unsanctioned events, or sports that allow "free range" doping like the NFL and MLB. "

Because God forbid cycling ever try to emulate the two of the most successful sports leagues in the world. Cycling needs to get its head out of its ass, and realize that if it keeps tearing down its history they will not have any fans for the future. They certainly aren't going to have much in the way of sponsors. Guess what EVERYBODY doped back then. Get over it. And just because Lance doped deosn't mean your little boy will too. In fact I would argue that Lance doping and winning 7 tdf's did more good for the sport than if he stayed clean and never won a tour.

Actually, if the sport doesn't clean up, and your little boy wants to be a pro cyclist, he WILL dope.

But thankfully opinions like yours are becoming less and less common. People are learning that guys who had ethics and turned away from the sport instead of doping do exist. People are realizing that these guys are the real heroes, the ones that stuck to their morals even though it meant the death of their dreams. Hopefully if we keep pushing for progress, the next generation of these types won't have to walk away from the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Garry wrote:

I guess the days of using Livestrong as a shield are waning.

He is currently banned.
ALL events that ascribe to USADA/WADA rules therefore MUST BAN HIM from competition.

He can, and does, race events that are not signatories of USADA/WADA.
As lame as I (and Conrad Stoltz) think that sorta thing is.

It's not any more complicated than that.

It would actually be nice if Slowman dove into this thread and chimed in that the Chicago Marathon is supporting the process that they are required to follow. As Lance chose to not defend himself and accept the USADA charges, this is a totally fair thing for all events who are WADA signatories to do.

Fleck explained it really well. David Millar can race the Chicago marathon, but Tyler Hamilton cannot.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance denied access to Chicago Marathon [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LA PR guy is expensive
Fabiani and Lehane is a American P.R. firm owned by Chris Lehane and Mark Fabiani. The two were dubbed the "Masters of Disaster" for their damage control P.R. work when they worked for the Clinton White House and campaigns. The two have worked for several Democratic campaigns and Democratic-backed initiative/referendum campaigns. Their billing rate is reportedly $30,000 per month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rickn wrote:

By what measure are you basing your belief that the NFL and MLB are the most successful sports leauges in the world? They may be popular in the US but some would say that soccer is more popular than the NFL and MLB. Maybe in terms of money... maybe....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stupid

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apply for a position with UCI. They are looking for guys like you..
Quote Reply

Prev Next