Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake placid. Go home tourist
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
https://www.news10.com/news/ny-news/group-protests-tourists-coming-to-lake-placid-region/

Love the place.

I was just there over the weekend. I didn't see any protesters. And everyone was wearing masks in public. This seems somewhat isolated.

I am not sure if it was this person specifically, but by father-in-law (who also lives in the LP area) looked up one of the protesters who was ranting against people getting off the Northway with out-of-state plates... and learned she was actually from Connecticut and had a second home in the LP area (like many of us). So there is that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a resident. I was running and biking a lot this weekend. Didn't see one protester. Town had some tourist. Some Airbnb being used. Also 2 hotels were open, but supposedly you had to be an esential worker (nurse/doctor) to stay there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to listen to "Talk of the town" each morning while driving to work (when I lived there).

There were constant call-in complaints about Tourists and Triathletes there for training. Arguments were often that the tourists were not shopping at the local hardware store, so they really weren't helping the local economy. (Which is invalid because the gas station owner, hotel proprietor, bike shop owner, all shop at the hardware store).

The sentiment isn't new, only the justification.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh look New Yorkers being jerks that's wild
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm over in northern Vermont and there are similar sentiments regarding tourists coming up during this pandemic. So I'm not surprised that rural NY areas do not want city folks coming up and possibly spreading the virus. I haven't seen any protesters here though

When my husband and I did IMLP in 2017 we had a bad experience with a local out on a run during a training weekend there. My husband was just running on the main drag heading back into town on the run course and a redneck in a pickup truck threatened to kill him. Long story and we had the police involved. There is definitely an element in that area that doesn't like the triathletes. There are also the same rednecks in rural Vermont who hate cyclists. It's too bad....

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
I'm over in northern Vermont and there are similar sentiments regarding tourists coming up during this pandemic. So I'm not surprised that rural NY areas do not want city folks coming up and possibly spreading the virus. I haven't seen any protesters here though

When my husband and I did IMLP in 2017 we had a bad experience with a local out on a run during a training weekend there. My husband was just running on the main drag heading back into town on the run course and a redneck in a pickup truck threatened to kill him. Long story and we had the police involved. There is definitely an element in that area that doesn't like the triathletes. There are also the same rednecks in rural Vermont who hate cyclists. It's too bad....

LP local hate for triathletes is strong ... and strange. Thereā€™s like one day a year where itā€™s a huge hassle, but otherwise people are there in an otherwise deserted town spending money 4 or 5 months/yr.

Also, I have a second home in the lakes region of NH and saw a sign on a gravel ride just yesterday telling people to ā€˜Live free or die in your own stateā€™.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thereā€™s like one day a year where itā€™s a huge hassle,
---

They're there, en masse, for at least a week. I can see how they are a hassle during IM week.

The kicker is that LP's economy is based on tourism. There are a few, loud, outspoken people in LP that like to bite the hands that feed them. Most, and that's an overwhelming most, are happy or indifferent to the triathletes.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:

LP local hate for triathletes is strong ... and strange. Thereā€™s like one day a year where itā€™s a huge hassle, but otherwise people are there in an otherwise deserted town spending money 4 or 5 months/yr.

Also, I have a second home in the lakes region of NH and saw a sign on a gravel ride just yesterday telling people to ā€˜Live free or die in your own stateā€™.

Yeah, don't dare ask about ski conditions on any of the closed mountains on one of the FB groups. The NH and VT people can't tell you to stay home fast enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same goes for Kona and lots of other venues. An Ironman race is quite disrupting for people that don't care about it. And not every athlete is very respectful towards the community they visit either. But is always, media will blow this out of proportion.
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

They're there, en masse, for at least a week. I can see how they are a hassle during IM week.

The kicker is that LP's economy is based on tourism. There are a few, loud, outspoken people in LP that like to bite the hands that feed them. Most, and that's an overwhelming most, are happy or indifferent to the triathletes.

The different between triathlon tourists and other tourists is our tourism happens all over the roads. The skiers, skaters, ski jumpers, golfers, fishermen, artists, hikers....they do their thing largely out of sight from the population. So they don't really "get in the way" (aside from when they get drunk in bars).

Its the same in Lake Placid, Tremblant, Penticton Kona, Muskoka....the list goes on. If it is a tourism hub, and we're one of many types of tourists, we're the most visible and use their roads running and riding for a lot of the summer. Our insistence on running on race routes (generally public roads) does not help us when we can easily run off the main courses and disperse ourselves....biking it is what it is.

The only place I have been at where athletes seem to be tolerated for behaving like complete idiots is at Bourg d'Oisins at the base of Alpe d'Huez. That town has zero outside revenue without cyclists, so we get a pass there.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
The different between triathlon tourists and other tourists is our tourism happens all over the roads. The skiers, skaters, ski jumpers, golfers, fishermen, artists, hikers....they do their thing largely out of sight from the population. So they don't really "get in the way" (aside from when they get drunk in bars).

From living in Saranac Lake NY, I can say first hand that it is more than that. During tourist season, the grocery stores no longer have the items that you need to buy (even without a pandemic). Diapers disappear, and you have to drive hours to get to Plattsburg. Try doing that with three kids under 5 years old. It does not endear the population to the presence of tourists. The other side of it is that many of the locals dont have the cash for a second home (or a first home); and seeing all these people come in and deplete the local resources (grocery stores, roads, trails, etc) who also give the appearance of having a ton of cash...well, it brings out some jealousy which is never pretty. Im not saying it is right, just providing another data point.
Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Same deal in the Muskokas north of Toronto (where there is a 70.3). Toronto corporate and investment banker types coming up to their second homes, turning on their yachts and emptying the grocery stores and bringing Covid19 potentially with them, so there is a distinct divide going on, that's compounded with Covid19 but was always there.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not surprised that local folks don't like the hassle. But I am surpised to hear that the local stores don't stock up on these items during the high season. The added sales from visitors is very predictable. I did Tupper lake Tri last year and it was an eye opener. The race was fine, well run, etc. But the region is a lot less build up than LP. I stayed at a VRBO that was well past its prime. The hosts were pleasant but definitely suffering from the closure of the ski resort.

Brian
ā€œEat and Drink, spin the legs and youā€™re going to effin push (today).ā€ A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Same deal in the Muskokas north of Toronto (where there is a 70.3). Toronto corporate and investment banker types coming up to their second homes, turning on their yachts and emptying the grocery stores and bringing Covid19 potentially with them, so there is a distinct divide going on, that's compounded with Covid19 but was always there.

I can understand how this is compounded in towns where Ironman week has become a staple, but this attitude is pervasive almost everywhere. My wife and I were riding our bikes up and down the only road in the Outer Banks just yesterday. Most of the people on the road were courteous, slowed down, gave us the required space, even a wave and a smile from some. Then there were a few locals that buzzed us pretty close and one, what looked and sounded like a teenage girl with out of state plates, telling us to use the sidewalk to ride our bikes.

Its the few that make the stink and the rest of society gets along and copes just fine.

My solution is to require more in depth education about bicyclists and their legal use of the road while administering driving exams. At least people wouldn't have a reasonable excuse or be able to claim ignorance.

Just in case that driver is reading this post:

"Safe Passing Laws
North Carolina does not have a law that sets a specific distance for a motor vehicle overtaking a bicycle. However, North Carolina's traffic law requires that the driver of any vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass at least two feet to the left thereof, and shall not again drive to the right side of the highway until safely clear of such overtaken vehicle.
In a no-passing zone, a driver of a vehicle can overtake a person on a bicycle if the bicycle is proceeding in the same direction, the driver provides at least 4 feet of space while passing or completely enters the left lane, and the bicyclist is not making or signaling a left turn.
Source: N.C. Gen. Stat. Ā§20ā€‘149 and Ā§20ā€‘150(e)"

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Last edited by: MatthewLigman: May 28, 20 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [Traphaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traphaus wrote:
Oh look New Yorkers being jerks that's wild

People who live in Lake Placid are as much of "New York-ers" as people who live in Vermont.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake placid. Go home tourist [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was funny ;-)

"Go home tourist"

and:

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply