Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same debate as all host cities of big events.

Residents hate it because it is a nuisance for a week every year, and they don't see the economic impact benefiting them directly.
Government and businesses love it because $$$ in their pockets.

I think the race will stay because money always talks louder. I wouldn't have ever set foot in lake Placid without that race, and it's the same for thousands of people every year. Just check out hotel prices that weekend vs any other.

It's a beautiful city and a great course - I hope it continues for a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
Residents hate it because it is a nuisance for a week every year,

From the article, Ann O'Leary hates the event because it has lasted longer than her marriage... great argument from Ann.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be interested in the economic data from towns that held Ironman races in the past, but no longer hold them. Ironman would probably benefit from showcasing the economic data to help influence towns to renew. Unless of course it shows the town do better without Ironman. If that's the truth, Ironman would still benefit in knowing it and trying to improve it's contribution.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless of what Lake Placid decides, I believe there will be an ongoing Ironman in the ADK's. Nearby municipalities (I'm looking at you, Lake George, Tupper Lake & Saranac Lake) would undoubtedly be delighted by the increased tourism and fiscal lucrativeness.

It was an interesting perspective that they should consider moving the date to a non-peak tourism time, and now that they discontinued the 70.3, it might even make more sense to move it to a later date. If memory serves, I recall the first race in 1999 was in mid-August.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really the only NA Ironman around that time though. There is nothing between CDL and Wisconsin in mid sept (this year, not sure when MT and IMCA will be in the future?). And CDL is gone again, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just looking at motels for St. George, wanted to go but not racing so didn't really care, just needed a room with a bed. Motel 6 which is at the run turn around point, any other weekend is $49.99 a night, race week its $390 a night! Even the motel employees have to see someone is realizing some economic impact from the race in St. George and I am sure other host cities whether it be a 70.3 and full are very similar.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Penticton might be a good case study for stuff like that.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They sure worked hard to get it back after thinking they didn't need Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the article:

"With the triathlon coming to town during the peak tourism season, Preston said she hears “frequently” from tourists who wanted to come to town but decided not to because hotel room prices rise during Ironman weekend.

Jarvis said Ironman deters other types of travelers.

“It’s more of a negative impact for us from a rooms perspective because it is very, very difficult to convince anyone not coming for Ironman that they would want to be here for that weekend,” he said. “The day or two leading up to Ironman arrivals are some of our softest of the summer."

We frequently talk about the number of people coming in for an IM, but I wonder how that compares to a typical weekend and if the IM hotel pricing actually drives down total revenue around the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
From the article:

"With the triathlon coming to town during the peak tourism season, Preston said she hears “frequently” from tourists who wanted to come to town but decided not to because hotel room prices rise during Ironman weekend.

“It’s more of a negative impact for us from a rooms perspective because it is very, very difficult to convince anyone not coming for Ironman that they would want to be here for that weekend,” he said. “The day or two leading up to Ironman arrivals are some of our softest of the summer."

We frequently talk about the number of people coming in for an IM, but I wonder how that compares to a typical weekend and if the IM hotel pricing actually drives down total revenue around the race.

I saw this. They don’t have to raise prices, they chose too. Can’t fill capacity? Drop the price.
Last edited by: MtbTri: Jul 16, 21 10:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
---

This is the opposite of a problem. Being booked solid for several days in a row should be a goal! Especially when you consider that the inflate the prices and require minimum stays for IM week. The minimum stays probably help explain the 1-2 days leading up.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:

My wife was good friends with someone who married a girl from Lake Placid. They won a B&B about 15 mins from athlete village.

They sell out EVERY. SINGLE YEAR. for race weekend. They had (not sure if they still do but when I talked to them 10 years ago) had a MINIMUM of 7 nights for race weekend. And it was sold out (10 rooms).

Race week paid their bills for the entirety of the summer season. They literally could take guests in for ski season and IM week and live comfortably. Every other spring/summer/fall guest was just another cherry on top.

The hotels/b&B's in lake placid love the race trust me - they could care less that some guys vacation got bumped up/back a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [MtbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what they're saying is the intense demand for that weekend destroys the week leading up, not that they can't book the rooms that weekend.

I.e., no one comes that Monday through Friday because there are no rooms available that weekend.

It's a town that is lively and busy a lot of the year. I'm sure IMLP provides a cash bump for the hotels, but beyond that I can see why a lot of the rest of the locals don't view it as worth the hassle. Those restaurants/bars/shops are busy regardless of the race.

Having it back to back with the Can-Am rugby tournament the following weekend, it's going to be a long few weeks for locals.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geronimo wrote:
it's going to be a long few weeks for locals.

It's a tourist town. They make all their money on people showing up for various events. Any local that is annoyed at tourists doesn't understand where their bread is buttered...

(I say this as someone who owns a house in the Lake Placid area, and always get irritated at the tourists driving slowly on 86 and 73 lol)
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
It's a tourist town. They make all their money on people showing up for various events. Any local that is annoyed at tourists doesn't understand where their bread is buttered...
^this
We have second home in a tourist town like this and the locals are always complaining about all the tourists, traffic, etc, etc, etc. and constantly whining about how things used to be back in the good ole days. What they fail to understand is that without all the tourists they deem such an inconvenience, there would be very little revenue for the town to actually run from September to April as well as provide all the infrastructure and conveniences the local govt is able to that the locals benefit from had it not been for the flood of cash that comes in from May-August.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [MtbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MtbTri wrote:
mgreer wrote:
From the article:

I saw this. They don’t have to raise prices, they chose too. Can’t fill capacity? Drop the price.

My thought when I read that is that if prices are high, it is because of high demand those days, so how does it negativity impact them. I think he just wants it moved to an off peak tourist time, so they can have a big week off peak, but hard to see how less rooms are rented during IM in July. He's a hotel's marketing guy and wants both summer tourists and big events off peak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they require a one week minimum then it kind of negates the M-F empty booking argument.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They sure worked hard to get it back after thinking they didn't need Ironman.

I think this overstates the value of Ironman to Penticton.
The town is full of tourists in the summer anyways and the loss of the Ironman wasn't that big of deal to the local economy.
There were probably some intangible benefits however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot to mention that the Can-Am tournament is a hell of a lot more fun.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TX83 wrote:
g_lev wrote:

^this
We have second home in a tourist town like this and the locals are always complaining about all the tourists, traffic, etc, etc, etc. and constantly whining about how things used to be back in the good ole days. What they fail to understand is that without all the tourists they deem such an inconvenience, there would be very little revenue for the town to actually run from September to April as well as provide all the infrastructure and conveniences the local govt is able to that the locals benefit from had it not been for the flood of cash that comes in from May-August.

Local biz love it, locals who are not part of the biz chain hate it, politicians love it for the economics and have to manage citizens who complain so they forget about the complaints by voting time.

Ask Penticon how booting Ironman worked out for the community. LP will find a way to make it work

ITS BACK BABY!!!

The problem with triathletes vs skiers is triathletes are all over the place on the roads. Skiers are at the ski hills out of the way. The problem of skiers vs triathletes, is skiers get drunk in bars and get into fights and have unruly parties....triathletes are in bed by 8 pm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
I was just looking at motels for St. George, wanted to go but not racing so didn't really care, just needed a room with a bed. Motel 6 which is at the run turn around point, any other weekend is $49.99 a night, race week its $390 a night! Even the motel employees have to see someone is realizing some economic impact from the race in St. George and I am sure other host cities whether it be a 70.3 and full are very similar.

I just booked at the new Hilton Tru for Ironman St. George and it was $272 average per night, which I consider very reasonable for a small town during race week.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
If they require a one week minimum then it kind of negates the M-F empty booking argument.

Every hotel I've stayed in for an IM event has had a 1-2 night minimum. It's a get in and get out kind of deal. I can see why Monday night through Wednesday night ahead of the race would be pretty dead, especially if IM pricing is in effect during those days.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

I think this overstates the value of Ironman to Penticton.
The town is full of tourists in the summer anyways and the loss of the Ironman wasn't that big of deal to the local economy.
There were probably some intangible benefits however.

Basically this, I think from the old thread years ago occupancy dollars didn’t change or went up with inflation regardless if it was a 3k IM, 300 for challenge, worlds LC or no race.

End of September is a bonus though, deadsville after labour day in penticton. And like you say it was pursued this time because of intangibles/other.

Muskoka cancelled after one race because it was only about 900 people, shame what an awesome course.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid debates Ironman’s future [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m glad i did the full Muskoka it’s only time. Very challenging course, but alot of fun before, during and after race. Too bad they didn’t give it a couple more years to get going. But that is one area that does not need an event race to help pay for the bills and keep things afloat the rest of the year, so much money there and not alot of road options.
Quote Reply

Prev Next