Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Placid and Zipp404
Quote | Reply
Did the lake placid course. what a challenge for a flatlander. I did notice that my wheels were incredibly unstable on the downhhills when I got over 30 mph
(were talking scary unstable) anyyone have similar problems with zipps
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid and Zipp404 [dobler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did last year when I was at lake placid camp. It FREAKED me out. I have clinchers and the rim seam was uneven which made me really wobbly. I had the rim shaved still didn't fix it so I sent my wheels back to zipp and they replaced the rim. MUCH, MUCH better.. and you are talking to a girl that fears going down a hill. Could that be your problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't handle 404s coming down those hills. I have switched over to 303s, at least for the front. If it is a calm day, I will put the disk on the back.

I weigh about 150 and handle my bike rather like a lawnmower, so your mileage may vary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure it was the wheels that were unstable?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid and Zipp404 [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, i think that they might have contributed. i have a compact frame which has twitchy steering by default, and i have made some modifications at a fiitter.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid and Zipp404 [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always ridden 404, or 909's there...Shamal HPW 12's one year in the rain. Never had an issue barn storming down the Keene hill like my ass hair was on fire (65+ mph in the rain). Could be allot of things (your fear and handling skills - please dont that that as an insult).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid and Zipp404 [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Art...that was supposed to be a reply to Dobler, I know you can handle your own on them there hills....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid and Zipp404 [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chip, it is not really fair to post this without providing a link to your spectacular crashes and crazy speeds thread.

Just for the record, Chip could handle a bike better than most of us even if he were drunk, stoned and wearing blinders.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid and Zipp404 [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I am a real downhill stud all right. Five years on the Keene hill and I finally descended it last year for the first time without brakes.

Maybe this year I can stay down rather than sitting up like a sail and keeping a white knuckle grip on the handlebars.

Lance, watch out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find this post quite timely.

I bought a Zipp 404 at LP a couple of years ago.

Had the same problem recently coming down a mountain. The speed whobble was easly once of the most nerve racking experiences of my cycling life. (and I've been hit by cars -twice)

I spoke with Zipp - If you bought your 404 over 2 years ago - the cause of the problem is defective rims - the tensil strength of the aluminum used was not up to qualiy standards.

Zipp told me that they have taken corrective action by replacing the manufacurer so the new models should not have this problem.

However, I've been waiting to get my whell back from Zipp for over 3 weeks now.

Hope this helps somehow.
Quote Reply