Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road
Quote | Reply
A guy was DQd at LP for getting of bike and peeing on side of the road, which race officials saw. They pulled his transition bags and he found out when he came into T2 and couldn't find his run gear bag. And there were a fair number of drafting penalties handed out (but of course not nearly as many as there could've been).
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [ironspartan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need more details.

If he was caught peeing in the woods, they should let it go.

If he was peeing on someone's front lawn, it is a different story.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know the details about where he was doing it. Friends were volunteering with gear bags in transition and saw the DQ discussion. There are port-a-potties at every aid station so there's really no excuse...if you can't wait @ 30 more minutes, just pee in your shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Not allowed to whip it out. He did the deed. Got caught.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unlike drafting, urinating in public is actually a criminal offense ;-)

Its also the kind of thing that "pisses" of the locals and can lead to a whole race getting scratched off the calendar. http://news.bbc.co.uk/...ampshire/4776653.stm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't fix stupid.

Either you pee on the bike, or you stop at the numerous aid stations.
They actually enforce some of the rules at an IM?? Who knew?

What kind of Iron cowboy did this guy think he was? ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next they'll be cancelling the Tour de France...

https://centurytrek.wordpress.com/...6/30/besoin-naturel/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a real shame this is a DQ offense and drafting is a 4 minute penalty. Those should be reversed.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hope that was supposed to be pink, what you just said makes no sense.... public urination as stated above is a criminal offense i am pretty sure the police do not care if you draft at an Ironman... Neither do the locals, there are porta pottys everywhere at an ironman

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [Machee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
best story ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It's a real shame this is a DQ offense and drafting is a 4 minute penalty. Those should be reversed."

As an RD, I find your perspective surprising...not that you want to DQ drafters but that you think public urination should only be 4 minutes. The difference is that drafting only affects other people in the race. Whipping it out in public potentially jeopardizes the future of the race itself. I'm in massachusetts and we've had a cycling road race (Sterling) canceled and a major factor was people crapping/peeing on private property. In an environment where there are always going to be locals annoyed with the event inconveniencing them, this the type of thing that is tough to argue with when trying to get a permit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a pro at Steeleman a few years ago going BANANAS when he got DQ'd for stopping to pee. The official actually said "You're a pro you should know the rules...and how to pee on the bike."

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
"It's a real shame this is a DQ offense and drafting is a 4 minute penalty. Those should be reversed."

As an RD, I find your perspective surprising...not that you want to DQ drafters but that you think public urination should only be 4 minutes. The difference is that drafting only affects other people in the race. Whipping it out in public potentially jeopardizes the future of the race itself. I'm in massachusetts and we've had a cycling road race (Sterling) canceled and a major factor was people crapping/peeing on private property. In an environment where there are always going to be locals annoyed with the event inconveniencing them, this the type of thing that is tough to argue with when trying to get a permit.

THIS!!! Having been involved in putting on road races and crits, and volunteering at many tris, most participants do not realize how difficult it is to secure the permitting needed for the bike course. All you need is a few jack asses urinating on the side of the road and you have lost the course. When you are out there racing, remember that you are the face of the sport. All you need is one really adamant local who does not want the race and one public urination incident and bam, you lose all the good will the race director has worked sooo hard to build in the community to secure the race course. Remember people - we are unwanted guests in most communities.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [Machee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, not pink.

People don't pee in a race because they want an advantage, they do it because they've got to go and they're selfish and probably ignorant that it's even against the rules. A penalty of DQ or 4 minutes would have zero effect on the incidence of this.

On the other hand, people draft because they want an advantage, and a penalty of DQ vs 4 minutes would have large effect on the incidence of drafting.

As an RD, littering and public indecency is a bigger issue in theory than it is in reality. You've got to clean the course afterwards no matter what, so while you don't want 2500 people tossing gels willy nilly, dealing with the random littering (inadvertent and intentional) that is bound to occur is part of doing business. And, some dude pissing in somebody's yard is certainly not good and potentially an issue if it happens to the wrong neighbor. By no means am I condoning it. But, it's not the biggest deal in the world. And 4 minutes vs DQ for the infraction is not going to change a damn thing on that.

I guess my point is that this guy got DQed and had a major life event thrown out for being ignorant and selfish and doing something that provided him no benefit. However, those who intentionally cheat get a slap on the wrist and are allowed to proceed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So an illegal activity is "not a big deal" in your opinion? I don't know how it couldn't be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think DQ for peeing is appropriate for a reason the other RDs commented...locals generally hate races regardless of how much money it brings to the town (a guy running a store in LP told me as much when I dropped $100 in there) so we need to FOSTER goodwill not tolerate actions that destroy it. But there should be much more enforcement of drafting (like have motorcycles turn around after 2 miles and see who is now drafting be they think they are clear...they tagged 3 guys pace lining behind me and then I had 15 more) and stiffer penalties (10 minutes, and maybe an extra 1k run like at Roth).
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still remember Charlie Crawford getting all worked up in the athlete's meeting one year about this where he said how once the race is over, the locals aren't going to remember who won, who got a Kona slot, who PR'd etc., but (his voice turning into Gunnery Sgt Hartman's) "they are damn sure going to remember who left a pile on their front lawn!!!"

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
probably ignorant that it's even against the rules.

But, it's not the biggest deal in the world.

Again, it's illegal. And ignorance is not an excuse to break the law....

Civil law trumps triathlon rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
No, not pink.

People don't pee in a race because they want an advantage, they do it because they've got to go and they're selfish and probably ignorant that it's even against the rules. A penalty of DQ or 4 minutes would have zero effect on the incidence of this.

On the other hand, people draft because they want an advantage, and a penalty of DQ vs 4 minutes would have large effect on the incidence of drafting.

As an RD, littering and public indecency is a bigger issue in theory than it is in reality. You've got to clean the course afterwards no matter what, so while you don't want 2500 people tossing gels willy nilly, dealing with the random littering (inadvertent and intentional) that is bound to occur is part of doing business. And, some dude pissing in somebody's yard is certainly not good and potentially an issue if it happens to the wrong neighbor. By no means am I condoning it. But, it's not the biggest deal in the world. And 4 minutes vs DQ for the infraction is not going to change a damn thing on that.

I guess my point is that this guy got DQed and had a major life event thrown out for being ignorant and selfish and doing something that provided him no benefit. However, those who intentionally cheat get a slap on the wrist and are allowed to proceed.

"major life event" - is a race? Interesting. I consider birth/death/marriage/divorce/career "major".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indecent exposure and public urination is against the law in every state. So calling ignorance on the rules of the race is an ignorant statement in itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was on concrete, then ok, if it was on grass or in bushes or alike, then it shouldn't be a DQ in my opinion.

How can an illegal activity not be a big deal? Easily. Have you ever gone 1mph over the speed limit? Was it a big deal?
Have you never peed outside? Sometimes you need to go and there aren't any toilets around, options are limited. Why is letting go on the bike any better? It ends up on the road, I would say that is worse that going in a bush by the side of the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [whiteandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"major life event" - is a race? Interesting. I consider birth/death/marriage/divorce/career "major".

I'd add "Becoming a registered sex offender" to the list of major life events. Good luck filling out the form to coach your kid's soccer team and having to explain how it was only for pissing on the side of a road.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, I can't find any specific mention of urination in the Ironman 2015 competition rules. The rule it seems is prohibiting indecent exposure and public nudity in 2.01 (l) (and mentioned again in a couple of other sections). So I guess the question is, did he actually whip the pecker out? I guess, were you to adhere perfectly to the rules, if you just stand there by the road and let the piss go in your shorts you wouldn't have actually broken a rule. Like that pro did that time in T2.

If there was a specific rule against urinating on course, you'd likely be breaking it just as much by going on the bike as you would by the bush.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jul 27, 15 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that he was standing on side of road peeing. Seriously doubt it was just running down his leg...more likely he was obviously standing and holding his junk. Simply Inexcusable.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid DQ for peeing on side of road [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if the guy happened to pee in the woods on the side of the road, he is now a sex offender? I've heard it all...If he pissed on the road itself or the shoulder, I can understand indecent exposure, but I think the context of the offense has to be considered, which none of us know.

kdw wrote:

I'd add "Becoming a registered sex offender" to the list of major life events. Good luck filling out the form to coach your kid's soccer team and having to explain how it was only for pissing on the side of a road.

Quote Reply

Prev Next