Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lake Placid Conditions
Quote | Reply
Does anyone live up around lake placid that can comment on the current conditions? How is the water temperature? Is there much smoke from the Canadian wildfires?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [mrboomerang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smoke comes and goes based on weather pattern. AQI is a bit better at the moment, but if the winds shift again you could be looking at more smoke / haze.

Mirror Lake is in the upper 60s (or at least was until we had all this rain).

As always, be prepared for anything.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any issue with flooding in the area?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure. I know here in my town the CT River has another 15 feet beyond flood stage to rise today.

We expect power to go out and to not be able to cross into VT for a bit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been up in LP training since mid-June. Initially, the water temps were COLD, but it's comfortable in a wetsuit. My guess is 65-68 degrees. Mirror Lake is still set up for a two lane skull boat race. I started by the beach entry in front of the Hampton Inn, swam all of the buoys and back. My Garmin had it clocked at 1.5 miles, which is a nice workout. Hopefully, they will adjust the buoys later this week.

The roads out of LP are patches of new asphalt on top of patches of old asphalt for the first 5 miles. Once you get to the bobsled road (approximately 5 miles out of LP), then the roads are good all the way to Keene, Upper Jay, Jay and out on Hazelton Road. On your back on Hazelton Road, about a mile from Wilmington, there is a rough patch. Then the road is good from Wilmington to LP.
I swear that it has rained every day for the last 40 days. Hopefully, the rain will take a break on the 23rd to let us safely do the downhill into Keene.

The run looks good, River Road is smooth.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Finished 23 Lake Placid and hoping for 24 this year (smirk)
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:
I've been up in LP training since mid-June. Initially, the water temps were COLD, but it's comfortable in a wetsuit. My guess is 65-68 degrees. Mirror Lake is still set up for a two lane skull boat race. I started by the beach entry in front of the Hampton Inn, swam all of the buoys and back. My Garmin had it clocked at 1.5 miles, which is a nice workout. Hopefully, they will adjust the buoys later this week.

The roads out of LP are patches of new asphalt on top of patches of old asphalt for the first 5 miles. Once you get to the bobsled road (approximately 5 miles out of LP), then the roads are good all the way to Keene, Upper Jay, Jay and out on Hazelton Road. On your back on Hazelton Road, about a mile from Wilmington, there is a rough patch. Then the road is good from Wilmington to LP.
I swear that it has rained every day for the last 40 days. Hopefully, the rain will take a break on the 23rd to let us safely do the downhill into Keene.

The run looks good, River Road is smooth.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Finished 23 Lake Placid and hoping for 24 this year (smirk)

Detailed response and quiet, but inspirational, boast; well done, that's the kinda Slowtwitch I like. Hope their is no rain for all of you,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:
I swear that it has rained every day for the last 40 days.

Don't worry, any race I show up to is 99.7% guaranteed to not only be sunny, but to have record breaking heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Smoke comes and goes based on weather pattern. AQI is a bit better at the moment, but if the winds shift again you could be looking at more smoke / haze.

Mirror Lake is in the upper 60s (or at least was until we had all this rain).

As always, be prepared for anything.

I was in LP this past weekend and did the course on Saturday. The water was very warm! My husband found a thermometer on a dock that said 78F. I was warm in my wetsuit. I would prepare for a non-wetsuit swim. Bring both wetsuit and swimskin. Maybe the rain cooled it down some, but it just takes a few days of warm weather to bring the temps back up.

Air quality was fine but anything can happen with these Canadian wildfires.

Roads pretty good in most places.

I am assuming LP and areas were spared from the horrible floods and storms we had in Vermont.

Prepare the best you can and don't worry about the things we can't control.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
candyman wrote:

Don't worry, any race I show up to is 99.7% guaranteed to not only be sunny, but to have record breaking heat.

It will be very warm and very humid. So far it's saying mid 70sF for temps and humid. It was 82F when I ran part of the run course on Saturday afternoon. Felt like 90F with the humidity and sun. It had rained just a bit on the bike and then the sun came out making it quite humid before I did my run.

Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great info! Hopefully we can avoid the rain and smoke next weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [mrboomerang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrboomerang wrote:
Thanks for all the great info! Hopefully we can avoid the rain and smoke next weekend.

It looks like the temps will cool down a bit next week especially at night. Fingers crossed the water will be cooler too!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
candyman wrote:

It will be very warm and very humid. So far it's saying mid 70sF for temps and humid. It was 82F when I ran part of the run course on Saturday afternoon. Felt like 90F with the humidity and sun. It had rained just a bit on the bike and then the sun came out making it quite humid before I did my run.

You northerners and your "80s is hot" mentality. :-)

My current Real Feel Sun is 116 degrees.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North Country Public Radio does a weekly 2 minute podcast with weather forecast and conditions for outdoor recreation in the ADK for the coming weekend. Today’s said Mirror Lake is in the mid 70s. Sounds like a sous vide.

Quote | Reply
LP gets sneaky hot. Very limited shade plus elevation. Always feels a bonus 10-15 degrees hotter than the "normal" RealFeel.

My kingdom for an IM with cool, overcast conditions with limited wind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
LP gets sneaky hot. Very limited shade plus elevation. Always feels a bonus 10-15 degrees hotter than the "normal" RealFeel.

My kingdom for an IM with cool, overcast conditions with limited wind.

I grew up in upstate/central NY. Much of my family still lives there.

They think it's hot and then they come down to visit me in Texas or Florida and they see what hot and humid really is.

Don't get me wrong. A 90 degree and humid day sucks anywhere. I was in NYC last year during the week temps were in the mid-90s. That was absolutely miserable as there's zero air flow in Manhattan.

My real feel right now is 108. Real feel in Lake Placid right now is 78.

I remember doing the Syracuse 70.3 one year and everyone was complaining about how hot it was. I had been training in 100+ degree heat/humidity. 80-something in Syracuse was like fall/winter for me.

I was complaining about how hilly it was. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
candyman wrote:

It's all relative :-)

I would die in 116F heat diubg a triathlon. But I have been sitting in my wood fired sauna in preparation for LP. I get it up to 120F sometimes and that is very warm! Puddles of sweat!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
candyman wrote:

I would die in 116F heat diubg a triathlon. But I have been sitting in my wood fired sauna in preparation for LP. I get it up to 120F sometimes and that is very warm! Puddles of sweat!

Forecast for LP next Sunday is a high of 75 per Weather Channel or 72 per Accuweather. I think you'll be fine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
candyman wrote:

Forecast for LP next Sunday is a high of 75 per Weather Channel or 72 per Accuweather. I think you'll be fine.

So far it looks fine. But that can always change. If it's hot I'll trust my training and feel good knowing I did the best I could with heat acclimatation in my sauna. Anyone from FL or the other hot states competing in LP will definitely have the advantage though.

I still think the IM in Alaska would have been right up my ally. I can do a cold swim and have done a full IM bike in chilly pouring rain (IMMT 2016).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the roads OK after last weekends rain/floods? Other parts of the adirondacks (Long Lake) were ravaged and roads completely destroyed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found living in hotter conditions to work much much better than heat treating in a sauna
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Are the roads OK after last weekends rain/floods? Other parts of the adirondacks (Long Lake) were ravaged and roads completely destroyed.

I don't know how the roads are in the Adirondacks. I did see some damage to roads leading to LP from the other direction. But honestly not sure if the roads will be 100% getting from my house in VT to LP. Fingers crossed.

Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
I have found living in hotter conditions to work much much better than heat treating in a sauna

Of course

Sauna is the best option for living in the North. Not about to move to the South (no offense). Although the recent flooding here has probably made all the covid-migrants who moved here from the cities and the South re-think their decision.

Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid Conditions [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:

I’ve been looking around online and I think the only real road damage of note anywhere near LP is down in Long Lake and Blue Mountain Lake.

I frequent the ADK High Peaks forum, which is like Slowtwitch for 46ers, and no one there has mentioned anything with the roads around LP, Keene, Jay, Wilmington.

It also stands to reason that if there was road damage that might impact the race, we’d have gotten an email from the RD by now. Vermont 100 got cancelled, and they were notifying people within 24 hours of the storm, as I understand it. I bet you were good.

Quote | Reply
candyman wrote:
Mirror Lake is still set up for a two lane skull boat race. I started by the beach entry in front of the Hampton Inn, swam all of the buoys and back. My Garmin had it clocked at 1.5 miles, which is a nice workout. Hopefully, they will adjust the buoys later this week.

(smirk)
as someone who finished LP before, you know they use the boat race buoy lines to attach the IM buoys to and that the boat course is longer than the IM course.. they just put the turn buoys of different color where you turn and it's pretty darn obvious!
Quote Reply

Prev Next