Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Michigan water temp drops 32 degrees in less than 12 hours!
Quote | Reply

After a front went through on Tuesday "Between 3 p.m. and 1 a.m., a weather service monitor in the lake near Ludington registered a steep drop in temperature, from 73 degrees to just 41." https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/08/22/lake-michigan-temperature-plunge/1063835002

Something to keep in mind if you are ever planning to do a tri (or swim) in the larger Great Lakes. If the wind is just right, they can have some pretty extreme changes in temperature over a very short period of time. It goes the other way just as fast too - basically don't pay any attention to the water temp reports until the day you are planning on swimming ;-)

Last edited by: STP: Aug 22, 18 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Michigan water temp drops 32 degrees in less than 12 hours! [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They got some crazy weather up there in the last few days with lots of flooding in Wisconsin but as you said Lake Michigan can do some crazy things as some of us experienced one year at Ironman Racine 70.3 flipping to below 55.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Michigan water temp drops 32 degrees in less than 12 hours! [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, pretty normal on the Great Lakes. Where I live, Rochester, NY, if we have a day with winds out of the south we know the lake is dropping temps fast. On the upside the lake will be smooth like glass

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh boy. I have a 5K at Ohio Street beach in 2 weeks. Let's hope it stays somewhat consistent between now and then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems to be a common occurrence this time of year. My facebook memories this morning reminded me of two other times when I had a long swim or swim race planned in Lake Michigan on this day only to find very cold conditions. The most recent being in 2014 when my Great Lakes Plunge 8K swim was shortened to 1500m because the water was 53 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Michigan water temp drops 32 degrees in less than 12 hours! [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
Yup, pretty normal on the Great Lakes. Where I live, Rochester, NY, if we have a day with winds out of the south we know the lake is dropping temps fast. On the upside the lake will be smooth like glass

Remember they canceled the swim for the Hamlin Beach tri back in the ‘80s?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Michigan water temp drops 32 degrees in less than 12 hours! [happman23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happman23 wrote:
Oh boy. I have a 5K at Ohio Street beach in 2 weeks. Let's hope it stays somewhat consistent between now and then.

We will let you know how it is after the Chicago Triathlon this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Michigan water temp drops 32 degrees in less than 12 hours! [emcmino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks and good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad this didn't happen at Steelhead 2016.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's incredible. You could be in for a rude awakening diving right in assuming it was just like yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this were to happen during a race the water temperature could legitimately drop 5-6 F in an hour...exciting stuff.

Quote | Reply
Check out this drone video from St. Joseph: https://www.southbendtribune.com/...28-fb899987aa88.html

I thought the waves were bad for Steelhead this year, but I guess I was wrong!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Michigan water temp drops 32 degrees in less than 12 hours! [emcmino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be at the Chicago Triathlon too. From the article, it looks like the temp drop was on the Michigan side. I've been looking at the Ohio Street Beach temps and it dropped from 77 to 74 degrees this week.

Now they're calling for a 50% change of thunderstorms Sunday, I hope that doesn't happen.

Rob Russell
TeckLyfe
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Michigan water temp drops 32 degrees in less than 12 hours! [rbrussell82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually went it is cold on one side of the lake, it is warm on the other. What is really happening in this type of situation is water is moving rather than cooling off. The warm surface water goes somewhere else and the deep cold water comes up to take its place. Hopefully that warm water ended up wherever this weekend's triathlons are!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Michigan water temp drops 32 degrees in less than 12 hours! [rbrussell82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the Chicago Triathlon Athlete briefing last night at Live Grit. They said the water temperature had only dropped a degree or 2 on this side of the lake. We will just have to wait for Sunday morning.
Quote Reply