Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lack of water and death: Schiavo
Quote | Reply
The news reported that the lady in Florida that just had her feeding tube pulled could live for weeks without food and water, I was under the impression 3 days w/o water was fatal. Whats the deal?
Last edited by: Niles Standish: Mar 24, 05 7:03
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [Niles Standish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the tube has been out for 5 or 6 days now. A couple of days without food or water is a bigger deal to us than it is to someone bed ridden in a somewhat vegitative state. One of the guys at work here had a grandfather that had a living will. After 90 days they removed his tube and 2 weeks later he passed. Makes you gratefull for what you have and re-enforces the fact that if you don't what the government in your business you should have a living will.

weak
Last edited by: weak: Mar 24, 05 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]The news reported that the lady in Florida that just had her feeding tube pulled could live for weeks without food and water, I was under the impression 3 days w/o water was fatal. Whats the deal?[/reply]

The body has an amazing ability to adapt and survive when changes occur slowly, which is the case here.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was under the same impression. Interesting too that discomfort associated with lack of food and/or water soon disappears. There was an article in the paper this morning that describes the process. They interviewed a doctor who has 25 years experience in a hospice. He claims there’s nothing unpleasant about it; “In fact it can be quite blissful and euphoric”, he says. And yes, the dying process takes 40 days. But if you continued to train 2 hours a day, you’d be dead in a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I was under the same impression. Interesting too that discomfort associated with lack of food and/or water soon disappears. There was an article in the paper this morning that describes the process. They interviewed a doctor who has 25 years experience in a hospice. He claims there’s nothing unpleasant about it; “In fact it can be quite blissful and euphoric”, he says. And yes, the dying process takes 40 days. But if you continued to train 2 hours a day, you’d be dead in a week. [/font][/size][/reply]

In this case, the discomfort associated with the lack of food and water didn't disappear because it wasn't there in the first place. Not possible to have discomfort (or any awareness of anything including euphoria or bliss) with a flat line EEG.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank, he did comment on the Schiavo condition and that in her case she doesn't feel pain because of the condition of her brain. But my previous post refers to cancer patients who decide to stop eating and drinking. They stay cogent for weeks, chatting with caregivers and writing letters.
Last edited by: JDub: Mar 24, 05 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read a few of these and wondering if anyone can point to some actual medical info other than that of the media.

40 days seems way long to me and 3 days way short.

Originally I heard 7 to 14 days is typical. Coming from a purely non medical background that seems realistic to me. Obviously the issue is dehydration and not starvation as even someone with really low BF has significant enough calories to last many many days, especially at rest.

Tried to google the subject but of course everything came back about the Shiavo case which is bound to be biased one way or the other.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that it should take 7-10 days. It isn't dehydration or starvation from the menner we usually think about it. Apparently, the lack of nutrition will create an electrolyte imbalance or deficiency in her brain which will render the brain incapable of regulating the functions of her internal organs, and she will die.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
append -Schiavo to your google
Last edited by: Wags: Mar 24, 05 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]My understanding is that it should take 7-10 days. It isn't dehydration or starvation from the menner we usually think about it. Apparently, the lack of nutrition will create an electrolyte imbalance or deficiency in her brain which will render the brain incapable of regulating the functions of her internal organs, and she will die.[/reply]

It should be mostly a dehydration issue in most people, causing the kidneys to stop functioning which causes the electrolyte imbalance. It probably depends upon the starting point and the condition of the other organs that determines how long they can go and what is the terminal event.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It should be mostly a dehydration issue in most people, causing the kidneys to stop functioning which causes the electrolyte imbalance. It probably depends upon the starting point and the condition of the other organs that determines how long they can go and what is the terminal event."

That could be right, I am certainly not a doctor. Anyways, 7-10 days is the figure I've heard most often.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once heard about the law of 2's

2 minutes without oxygen
2 days without hydration
2 weeks without food

These are the general fatal limits
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [frint40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I once heard about the law of 2's

2 minutes without oxygen
2 days without hydration
2 weeks without food

These are the general fatal limits
That is significantly wrong. Bobby Sands and the other IRA butchers that decided to kill themselves through hunger strikes in the early 1980s lasted into the 90 to 100 day range. My recollection from CPR classes is that it is more like 5 to 7 minutes without oxygen (or at least breathing) before brain injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last time I looked the world breath hold record stood at 12mins 31 secs by an italian free diver (note that was after breathing pure O2 for 30 mins before hand.)

Last month a friend did a free diving course with Frenchman Sabastien Murat who has gone 8 min breath hold after exhaling!
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you note the qualifier in that statement "general" not maximum.

I did not come up with this is was stated by a Dr. on a program I saw on Discover a while ago. It could very well be wrong.

The world record for the high jump is almost 12 feet high, I think in "general" people cannot jump that high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been living without a brain for 32 years.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In one very old book, they write about 'fasting for 40 days and nights', which is almost 6 weeks.

Realistically, I think 2 weeks is a bit on the short side...

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read that book. Were the 40 days and 40 nights the result of the sun revolving around the earth, too : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like being wrong, but I'm never afraid to admit it.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102228/

The law of 2's must have been 2 months
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funniest and most insensitive Schiavo T-shirt ever....

Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [qtipslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my sentiments exactly.

I haven't laughed that hard in a while

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe, by definition, hunger strikes and fasting don't involve lack of water, just lack of nutrition. Its lack of water that would cause death in the shorter amount of time. I am sure there are many cases of humans surviving long periods of time without food, but minimal water.

Support Crew

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of water and death: Schiavo [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, but note the post I was responding to.

the devil is in the details.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply