Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LG Chrono Helmet vs. Wheelbuilder Wheel cover
Quote | Reply
If you had less than $100 to spend on a piece of equipment, which one of these would you buy? What are the time savings over 40k for each? I do mostly sprint tris/du, ride a Titanflex Transition- (love it and think a lot more people could benefit from this type of frame), am currently riding Mavic CXP33 rims with Chris King hubs. I am getting back to racing after taking some time off the past few years to recover from a traumatic lower back injury. I'm working to improve my position on the bike this winter. I did win my AG (35-39) at a local sprint race this past August so I'm excited about next season. Thanks.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: LG Chrono Helmet vs. Wheelbuilder Wheel cover [DrD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it would depend on hour position on the bike - if you are already pretty aggressive (with only racing sprints and shorter), then probably the wheelcover.

But, with that kind of "already" aero bike, I'm guessing an aero helmet would benefit more? Great question for aero experts ...

Quote | Reply
I would buy a used LG Rocket or Giro Advantage II.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both and notice a bigger difference (placebo?) with the cover on than with the Chrono - especially when it's windy.

With your frame, I think the rear wheel aerodynamics become even more important. But, I have no hard data to back that up.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: LG Chrono Helmet vs. Wheelbuilder Wheel cover [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is the same although I have no data to back it up either.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the wheel cover and then tape over your helmet. A disc cover and a taped helmet are 98% as aero as the most expensive wheel/helmet combo. You can also use that celephane like window insulation that is used in northern climates, the stuff that you apply with a hair blower to shrink wrap. Makes a nice neat job. That's what I used before finally breaking down and ponying up for an aero helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: LG Chrono Helmet vs. Wheelbuilder Wheel cover [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm leaning towards the wheel cover and possibly that cellophane mod for the helmet. Is that easy to remove after the race?

BTW, I'm sure its been mentioned before on ST but what are the differences/importance of front wheel vs. rear wheel aerodynamics? It would seem that the front wheel would be more important due to it hit the air first- non-scientific observation.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cellophane is real easy to remove and put on.

For your second $100 pick up a used front wheel on ebay like a Hed Jet 60, Real Design 60, Campy Shamal, etc.

For $200 bucks plus the cellophane you'll be almost as aero as the guy who dropped two grand on wheels and helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: LG Chrono Helmet vs. Wheelbuilder Wheel cover [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The used front wheel is next. Thanks.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply