Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
LBS recommendation in Northern VA
Quote | Reply
I have a friend in Northern Virginia (Potomic Falls/Sterling area) who's daughter is just entering triathlon and has had some early success on a college club team while riding a crappy bike in her first few races. My friend (who knows nothing about tris or bikes herself) wants to take her daughter to an LBS and get fitted for an entry-level Tri bike.

Can anyone make a recommendation for an area LBS that would be well-suited to take some time and hand-hold a novice parent and their budding triathlete?

Thanks for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't been there, but I have friends that swear by Conte's in Arlington (Ballston).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conte's in Arlington is good.

Also have to HIGHLY recommend Bonzai in Falls Church---great group of guys (and girls) that will work with you!!
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both of them are good stores, but...
Bonzai probably knows more about tri bikes, but might/can be less hand-holdy. Depends on the day/employee/need to move merchandise.
Conte's is more road bike focused, and can be hit/miss on tri bikes if you get the wrong salesman.
-Jason

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contes and Bonzai are GREAT for the high end stuff. If your friend lives in Pot Falls/Sterling, tell them to check out Spokes in Ashburn and talk to Alexander. The shop is not specifically tri-oriented like Contes or Bonzai, but I used to work there with Alexander and he is GREAT for people looking to get fitted for and buy their first serious bike. We had tons of first time triathletes and sold them both road bikes w/ clipons as well as entry level tri bikes.

Heck, you can even PM me and I'd meet your friends there and help them myself. Spokes primarily stocks Trek/Specialized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only have experience with Conte's in the Williamsburg area. Lots of high-end stuff, knowledgable staff, love the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a friend in Northern Virginia (Potomic Falls/Sterling area) who's daughter is just entering triathlon and has had some early success on a college club team while riding a crappy bike in her first few races. My friend (who knows nothing about tris or bikes herself) wants to take her daughter to an LBS and get fitted for an entry-level Tri bike.

Can anyone make a recommendation for an area LBS that would be well-suited to take some time and hand-hold a novice parent and their budding triathlete?

Thanks for any input.

Conte's in Arlington is worth the trip, every time. Bonzai has been a hit/miss experience in the past. Since I started using Conte's I left Bonzai behind and haven't missed them a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonzai is the best without a doubt...Mark and his crew do a great job...b2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conte's and Bonzai are both good places to go. Both shops carry slightly different brands and it would probably be a good idea to visit both. Just my 2 cents
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [swimfast1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. I'm going to point my friend directly to this thread. Very helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [swimfast1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonzai might work for experienced triathletes, but anything less than that and they won't take you seriously--which translates into selling you want they need to get rid of, rather than what you need. And a casual attitude towards getting you fitted correctly.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give another recommendation for Contes. They have a great selection of bikes on the floor at all times. But you better be proactive if you go there. I've always found them to be a bit on the snobbish end, so if you don't have at least some bike/tri experience it can be a bit frustrating. They irritated the hell out of me when I was first going there and didn't know much, but now its my favorite place in the area because of the selection.

I also like the Spokes, Etc in Alexandria. It's a bit more road/hybrid oriented, but they at least have some Speed Concepts on the floor there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonzai. They know triathlon and have taken care of me since I bought my first wetsuit in 1993.

http://tribonzai.com/

------------------------------------------
http://twitter.com/tridave

| Bonzai Sports | Blue Seventy | First Endurance |
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. The staff at the Bethesda location is arrogant and condescending. They carry nice bikes, but I won't being going back.

Also, I've heard nothing but good things about Spokes in Ashburn.

Last edited by: Bigkens: Dec 9, 10 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonzai is a really good store - nice bikes at both the high and low price points and very knowledgeable staff. Easily the best shop in NOVA/DC area in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll agree with those who have indicated that Bonzai is pretty hit or miss as a beginner triathlete myself. I'll add that it seemed that their willingness to help depended on my willingness to spend.

Although Revolution Cycles isn't tri specific, I will plug their manager Ken (at the Clarendon location), who has been great with basic fits and answering questions whenever I've dropped by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contes...get Paul Hoover to fit ya! I've had him fit me on both my bikes, he does a great job, has great qualifications, and is a great guy.

2011 Team Tri Life Gear http://www.triflifegear.com
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [triwahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may be the first time a terp and cave agree on something. Paul is terrific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only stores in the DC Metro that i'd recommend would be Bonsai, Cycle Life and Conte's in that order.

Bonsai is definitely the most tri focused store, if you go during non-peak hours they'll show you anything you want and talk shop with you for hours. Super cool group of guys (and gals).
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [novasupra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi northern VA ST'ers - moved here (Fairfax) from Chicago a few months back and hoping I can get some updated advice - latest post is ten years old.

Have a 2014 Cervelo P3 - in excellent condition but needs some mech service that's above my pay grade.

Thanks in advance !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Transition Triathlon Leesburg is awesome.
Tell them I sent you.

Last year before covid they hosted a newbie clinic too.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [sudtirol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ProBike FC is the answer!! Known as a mostly a road shop but head mechanic Alex is a wizard. I first found him working on my Cervelo tri bike. You won't be disappointed. And to tag on like the poster above-mention Skippy74 sent you and you'll maybe get a chuckle but for sure great service.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you above posters - looks like a coin toss is forthcoming, given the two enthusiastic referrals !
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [sudtirol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonzai isn’t around anymore, but it’s now called M3 bikes and it’s in Vienna. I’d definitely recommend going there, and they gave a great fitter that comes once a month from Richmond (Dave Luscan)...at least he used to, u can ask if he still does.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS recommendation in Northern VA [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it's been a few months since I posted here to reach out for help. A few weeks ago I called Transition Tri and talked to Bill who is the mechanic there. Been in the business for years and knows Cervelo inside and out. After texting some pics (of the bike that is) he quickly diagnosed the issue and after dropping the bike off he resolved it. Very happy with the service there.

Ryan I mentioned you sent me there and one of the staff said out of all their customers you are their strongest triathlete - high praise indeed !

Thanks again to all three of you guys !
Quote Reply

Prev Next