Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
LBS Said Cervelos fail
Quote | Reply
Was talking to a guy about bike manufacturers, and one I mentioned was Cervelo. He said, “Stay away, those frames fail, I would say in the high teens.”.

Is this an agreed upon opinion? Would you not buy a Cervelo used?
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Said Cervelos fail [Driva77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does that mean? - Structural failure of 15-19% of Cervelo frames in normal use?

I have zero expertise on Cervelo frames, but I can't imagine they'd still be in business if this were true.
Sounds like LBS BS to me. But await more informed opinions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo is probably the highest volume of TT bikes on the planet. I do not recall ever reading posts of common frame failures here or anywhere else. Given their volume, if it was a thing, it seems like it would be widely known.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been riding one for five years now with no issues. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Cervelo owner complain about it, especially on here over the years.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve owned three Cervelo bikes (two new and one used) putting nearly 26,000 miles between them. No issues outside of typical maintenance.

Any time someone makes ridiculous sounding claims (whether it be about bike companies or anything else) I’d call them out on the spot and ask where there evidence is. Chances are it’s weak or non existent

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driva77 wrote:
Was talking to a guy about bike manufacturers, and one I mentioned was Cervelo. He said, “Stay away, those frames fail, I would say in the high teens.”.

I wouldn't worry about that at all, especially if you are buying new from an authorized dealer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a bike geek for a while and I've never heard anything like this. I think your LBS guy has some personal issues with Cervelo. I don't ride them but I know plenty who do and have never experienced anything like that.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say it's an agreed upon opinion since I've never heard it before. If it was the case, we would know about it. First generation Cannondale mountain bike frames failed and earned them the name "Crack and Fail" for years, and that wasn't in a frequency of the "high teens".

Saying something like that to manipulate your behaviour is a big red flag for me, and I'd consider a different LBS or at the very least a different mechanic.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Said Cervelos fail [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I’ve been riding one for five years now with no issues. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Cervelo owner complain about it, especially on here over the years.

It's probably BS, but my Cervelo S5 just failed this week. Discovered a chainstay completely delaminated, and I'm lucky it didn't fail while riding. This was a ~4 year-old frame ridden *hard*, though. And I've done more extreme "gravel" on this thing than most people do on their gravel bikes. Fortunately I know a carbon fiber whiz who's going to chop off the bad chainstay and give me a new one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driva77 wrote:
“Stay away, those frames fail, I would say in the high teens.”
. Ask him his source for this stat. I’m curious.

Driva77 wrote:
Is this an agreed upon opinion?
. No.

Driva77 wrote:
Would you not buy a Cervelo used?
. In fact, I’m such a fanboy, it’s all I have ever bought—road and tt bikes. 5 total bikes over the last 17 years. But, buying used is a risk I have never taken. It’s fairly easy to find a new bike or frame from 1-3 years ago at a deep discount that will still have the warranty. But, this advice isn’t Cervelo-specific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driva77 wrote:

in my experience, it's the opposite. cervelos are among the more durable frames. where cervelos have failed in the past is in peripheral parts of the bike, such as the way the aduro aerobar bolted on the original P5. or the wolf fork (more than a decade ago as i recall).

what i have found on cervelo's older road bikes is that they were TOO robust, as a sort of overreaction to the failure of that fork. they were so stiff that (in my opinion, for my riding) the front end didn't flex enough and it made the bike a little slow to handle, sort of like a ski that didn't flex enough. stiff skis are good. but not completely rigid skis.

my guess is that your LBS doesn't sell cervelos, and has a chapped hide about the fact that you're considering buying one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jul 16, 20 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an S3 fail, but I was going 30 mph and the truck that ran a red light had some velocity going 180* to my direction of travel.

In fact, the only "failure" me or the LBS could find was a small wrinkle in the head tube.

On this forum you would expect to see a lot of posts about broken Cervelo bikes if they really had a problem with it.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing that has ever failed on my two Cervelos, is me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My NP3 did have an issue with the fork limiter pin falling out and Cervelo refusing to replace it. But otherwise it has been solid. My R3 has been solid so far as well.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like some BS to get you to buy a different brand. This does point out the value of a buying a brand that stands behind their product.

The original BB30 bottom bracket, which was the carbon tube that used nylon sleeves, was a horrible idea. The original Venge came with this standard and the tube would wear if there was a poor fit. I went through 3 of these frames before Specialized finally bonded in aluminum inserts. Each time the frame went south, they just sent a new one for free. Technically, I don’t know if the frame was still under warranty, but I got a new frame every 2-3 years. They also offered me a good deal on a Vias as a replacement for the last one and my last 2 were S-Works frames while my original was a Comp.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Said Cervelos fail [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Trek and Cervelo facebook groups and I see way more problems with Trek bikes than Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I borrowed a Cervelo once to do a big climb and the frame failed to get me to the top so yeah, totally.

Actually I assume this LBS doesn't sell Cervelo and want you to buy from them. If I had a choice, I would buy from a different LBS just because of this.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Said Cervelos fail [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
.... I would buy from a different LBS just because of this.
Yep!
On principle, I won't return to a vendor who's been dishonest or otherwise let me down badly without a damn good excuse.

Several years ago a friend of mine who was new to cycling came with me for a ride in the mountains. He did pretty well, but struggled on a couple of steeper hills with the 12-25 cassette that came on his bike. He wanted to continue riding in the mountains, so I suggested he go to our nearest LBS and buy a wider range cassette - hardly controversial or unreasonable advice. The staff in the LBS mocked him and said he didn't need a wider range cassette, he just needed to get fitter, and they actually refused to sell him the cassette. I've never been back in there, I'm pretty sure he hasn't either and told several other local cyclists what happened too. I think it's safe to say they've lost out as a result of their behaviour and rightly so. As a general principle in life, don't reward assholes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the time an LBS employee told me Canyon frames were terrible.

Trashing a brand cuz your LBS doesn't sell it.... *sigh*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is total bull. Cervelo makes very high quality frames. I rode a P2 for years and it was rock solid. I have not heard dissatisfaction from any owners I know, except the fact that they are ridiculously expensive.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Said Cervelos fail [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always try and purchase from one of the many local bike shops in town when I could just as easily shop on line. This is an unfortunate example of the attitude with several LBS employees which causes the shop to lose customers. There is no question that there is a certain attitude within a few of the shops that just turns customers away and they are well known for it. So, rather than being welcoming they snub their noses at those not at their level. Face it, most people walking into a bike shop are purchasing mid or entry level bikes or moving up from the bike they got used or at Walmart or Target just to have some Cat 3 jack hole with a chip on his shoulder who comes across as if you were a haole that just dropped in on their wave. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people on here sharing information and wisdom in a very thoughtful and kind manner, which is much appreciated, to the very people who are often too intimidated by that LBS employee to seek out their advice. So be kind, there's way too much anger, resentment and hostility out there right now. Save it for the lavender room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've throttled my Aspero and it's been rock solid.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a seven year old r3 that has been used and abused. Short of jumping the bike off the side of the grand canyon, it has been through a war (wrecks, gravel rides, etc.). My current road bike is a Cannondale, but I never had an issue with the r3 frame and still ride it from time to time. I definitely destroyed a few wheel sets that were attached to that frame, but the frame is crazy strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they had a year where some models were famous for debonding of the bottom bracket insert. They had to do a huge recall. There was also a problem with some of the brakes on the early S5s.

I know my LBS got badly burned by this at the time. Perhaps the shop guy is thinking of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s BS, I have been building and servicing Cervelo’s for 8 yrs .
Buying used with like anything it’s yours no warranty period.
Trying to think of any failures , maybe two a riveted FD mountS on a 8 yr old bikes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next