Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LA Marathon Question
Quote | Reply
Our son is signed up for the LA Marathon in a few weeks ….

Logistically, what is the best option for getting him to the start and picking him up at the finish? He is not in the elite wave, but I imagine that there is going to be a long line and traffic trying to get to the start on the morning of the race and also trying to park near the finish line.

Thanks in advance, we are excited to see him run.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: LA Marathon Question [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I haven't run the marathon in a few years and they have changed routes, however, it looks like they have a pretty good plan with options for parking for runners and spectators.

Starting at Dodger Stadium ensures parking for 50000 people. Get there early for sure.

I don't know your particular situation but there are options to purchase parking at the finish and then have your son shuttle to the start.

That looks like a good option if you don't want to fight traffic pre and during the race.

Good luck and I hope he has a great race!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will need a car. Drop him off at the Dodgers stadium - it's a drop and go setup.

The finish line is at Century City - parking there is a little rough, but doable as long as you scout the place ahead of time.
If you park ahead of time and stand at the corner of Santa Monica and Avenue of the Stars you will see him go past you at a roughly 19.5 mile mark (ie where it gets tough) and then be right near the finish line as well.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: LA Marathon Question [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Will look into the parking and shuttle option. If Dodger Stadium can handle that many people for a game then the marathon crowd should be okay.

He is pretty excited. Triathlon is next, with an Oly planned in early May.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: LA Marathon Question [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks … we were wondering about a good place to watch. Getting him to the start and finding a place to park at the end were our other big concerns so the “drop and go” will help.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can drop him off at Dodger Stadium yourself however the traffic can be really thick pre-race. If you do that, plan to get him here at least 2 hours before the race start.

Or, more efficient, drop him off at Union Station where he can get a free shuttle to the start at Dodger Stadium. Or put him on one of the train or bus lines that go to Union Station. Or station him at one of the hotel bus shuttle pickup points in downtown. Supposedly you have a hotel-provided wristband to use these buses, but I’ve never seen them check.

Then for after the race — stash a getaway car at the Century City shopping center parking lot, or go there yourself early to get a space. Or get a Metro day pass and review the bus stops in advance to know which will be operating despite the marathon street closures. Or Uber away from the marathon finish site. Or decide on a place he can walk to meet you a half-mile away from the Century City shopping center.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Last edited by: SharonMcN: Feb 17, 24 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: LA Marathon Question [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate it!

We might try to stash a car at Century City. Sounds like a good option. Or look into the public transit option.

We are not staying at one of the race hotels so will not be able to use their shuttles.

drn92
Quote Reply