Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kurt Kinetic & Power Computer + Polar HRM & Power ='s?
Quote | Reply
Didn't want to hijack the Props to Kurt thread, but, I had a related question, based on info in there.

Seems to me, that a combo of the Kurt Kinetic w/ the Power computer to give you indoor power "measurement" (actually, calculation - but if it's w/in 3% of a Power Tap, that's pretty reasonable) - combined w/ the Polar unit on the bike (which doesn't work on a trainer, but is fine for outdoors, once ya get it dialed in), would be a pretty nice setup, no?

Pros: Would work on almost any bike, could be switched from bike to bike, allows use of any wheel, disks included. And I've heard the Power Tap hub is el crapola, so that pitfall is avoided. Minimal on-bike weight penalty.

Cons: Power readings from one system (Kinetic) to the other (Polar) likely not comparable. Total expense now up there with Power Tap Pro. Polar system is finicky to set up (or so I hear), and doesn't work on a trainer (but that problem is mitigated by the Kinetic)

Thoughts? Make sense to you?

My Performance adjustable-resistance fluid/mag trainer SUCKS - it arbitrarily gets harder after it warms up, I'm on my 3rd unit this year, and they all do the same f'n thing - GRRRRR.

My old non-adjustable one was the shizzit, I shoulda never "upgraded".

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic & Power Computer + Polar HRM & Power ='s? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
El bumpo.

What - nobody has any thoughts on whether this mad scheme is pure genius or pure lunacy?

Unless I'm missing something, it seems to be a good combo of bike and wheel flexibility, and indoor and outdoor use, w/o breaking the bank (at least no moreso than any other power training options)

Maybe I shoulda hijacked the other thread.... ; )

Meanwhile, the hottest thread today is about whatever "The Poster formerly know as ________" happens to be calling himself today. zzzZZZZZzzzzzz.....

I'm trying to talk gear here - spending $, all that sorta good stuff.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic & Power Computer + Polar HRM & Power ='s? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does sound good. I sent you a more detailed PM with some other info...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Polar system is finicky to set up (or so I hear), and doesn't work on a trainer (but that problem is mitigated by the Kinetic) "

The Polar power meter does not work well on a Kinetic, I have tried.
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic & Power Computer + Polar HRM & Power ='s? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< The Polar power meter does not work well on a Kinetic, I have tried. >>

It doesn't have to - I'll pop for the $50 Power computer and get my power readings from that while on the trainer, rather than the Polar. Problem solved, and a great new trainer to boot.

The Polar only need work on the road - which it apparently does fairly well, once the Sanskrit installation instructions are translated and followed to the letter ; ), and I'd have my cake and eat it too.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your plan sounds great. It is what I am planning on. I have been looking into all of the power options- SRM, PowerTap, Ergomo, Polar... as well as speed and distance options- Garmin 201, Timex, Nike, Polar... as well as trainer options- Computrainer, Kurt, Tacx...

I am dealing with issues to include 2 bikes to set up- road bike with 700c wheels and Tri bike with 650c wheels, different BB on the two bikes (road bike is Campy, tri is Shimano), and I use race wheels.

For me, I have decided that a Polar 625x with power option and a Kurt with the new computer will do everything that I want, be the least expensive, and be most convenient after initial set up.

Now its just stashing away the cash and devising a story for the wife. The plan is to get it now and apologize later.
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic & Power Computer + Polar HRM & Power ='s? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not share info for all to see? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic & Power Computer + Polar HRM & Power ='s? [amb18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MurphysLaw lives close to me, and we shop at the same bike shop. The info I sent him is only relevant because of that. I am not one to keep valuable information a secret.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I see now.

I am in your boat, the Polar actually works well for pacing if you can compare it to a known source, such as a powertap on the road, which is what I may do next year.
Quote Reply