Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kuota Kredo vs Khan vs Scott CR-1
Quote | Reply
Sorry if I missed it but has anyone ridden/reviewed any of these bikes? The Khan is the top o' the line but weighs a solid half pound more which guides me toward the Kredo. Then I throw the CR-1 in the mix and my decision becomes more muddled. Any experience with any of these bikes would be appreciated.

My use: I race road a bit mostly for triathlon fitness. I'll do a bunch of early season one day races and an early May stage race to get ready for summer triathlon.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kredo vs Khan vs Scott CR-1 [davidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm aware of a couple of shops that sell the Kuota, The premium bike that weighs a little more is the way to go. All of that additional weight goes into making the bike better. The lower weight comes from cutting corners.

I've seen two Scotts fail thus far at the drive side rear dropout. The bike is wicked light and may just be some growing pains as they meet world demand.

Are you not looking at Giant, Trek, Felt, Aegis, etc. for a reason? Why narrow your search to those 3.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kredo vs Khan vs Scott CR-1 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant- don't like the way it looks (aesthetically) in a big size (I'm 6'3")--Trek- had one a few years back, want to try something I haven't had--Felt- I want carbon this go around-- Aegis- flat out ugly, to me, again aesthetics. I want super light and stiff, Giant and Trek fit the bill, but I don't want them.

I hadn't heard about failing Scotts. I only read that they are the strongest according to that German (?) test. That seemed like a good endorsement but I guess it doesn't really cover all aspects of bike quality--I guess it doesn't really cover any aspect of bike quality, come to think of it.

I am also considering Calfee, but I have few friends who like the ride quality, but would prefer a stiffer front end. Custom Dragonfly to rectify that would be way too expensive.

I have no loyalty to any brand other than Cannondale, which is what I have now and need a break from. I can fit anything, I don't get wrapped up in that aspect. I'll try to find Kuota's to touch. None in Portland, OR, unfortunately.

Thanks for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shop I work at had a rep come in to show us a scott which he had been riding. I rode it a little bit, but was not impressed. The bike doesn't seem a balanced as other carbon frames in the front end, perhaps because of it's extremely low weight. I have seen a dropout failure as well, so I would wait a little until they work the bugs out. As was stated before, i believe quality is sacrificed for weight in this bike.

On the note of stiffness, you can only get so stiff in a carbon frame before you sacrifice the comfort and vibration dampening qualities of the material. I had a cannondale, and the only thing comparable is my felt F1R in stiffness...but these are both aluminum. I would consider a cervelo carbon frame if you want quality, stiffness and comfort at a decent price, personally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I can fit anything, I don't get wrapped up in that aspect"

Maybe it's just my narrow minded view of things, but fit is the only factor truly worth 'getting wrapped up in.' Minus a good fit, you might have the lightest bike around, but that's all you've got.

I say find a bike that fits your body and your riding first, then worry about light. A pound or two makes no difference at all.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was considering the Khan and the CR1. Someone here had the Khan and said it was too stiff, light though. I ordered the CR1 instead and love it, even lighter than the Khan. It is very comfortable. I don't think they will fail since they are one of the top lightweight frames in the EFBE stiffness test. Try to read the review of Charles Manahan for both bikes at www.pezcycling.com

Ricky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a CR1 for a short period of time and love it. With race wheels, it's just under 14lbs (56cm), and I like the ride a lot. I have a 2005, so hopefully those drop out issues were in the 2004:) I like that it's a compact frame, but not too compact, in as much as there is not a severe drop in the top tube from the head tube to the seat tube. I plan on riding it at IM Lake Placid in '06. I'll have no excuse this time. I bought mine at Bothell Ski and Bike in Washington State. Awesome customer service. Here's a link to some CR1 reviews on RoadBikeReview. http://www.roadbikereview.com/..._323663_5668crx.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Felt- I want carbon this go around"

Felt makes two carbon bikes this year. Both come in 60cm frame sizes, one uses T700 carbon and the other M30S. You can buy the F1C frameset or score the complete F2C with Dura Ace 10 speed shift/der/cass and FSA compact cranks for under $2500. The top of the line bike with all the Gucci nuts and bolts is about $4400

I can let you know where your closest Felt dealer is, or check their website for a dealer locator.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watermark cycling here in Arizona have been riding the Kuota this season and say that it is a stiff bike, even in the larger sizes which is a problem for some frames. The Khan is more comfortable than the Kredo but the Kredo is stiffer. For long distance racing I would happily add 1/2 pound to the frame if it made for a more comfortable ride.

The Scott is also supposed to be on the "stiffer" side of the ride equation. I think you would be happy with any of these bikes, and certainly no faster or slower.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kredo vs Khan vs Scott CR-1 [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No offense, but I hate reading this. I have never had a bike that doesn't fit. I ride bazzilions of miles on lots of different bikes. There is an awful slant on this forum that you should only consider fit when chosing a bike. If you have a history of problems, I agree. Otherwise, it is extremely rare that a certain bike will not fit you if you chose the correct size.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kredo vs Khan vs Scott CR-1 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well< I agree and disagree. With road bikes, no problem for me, mainly because I am absolutely average in my measurements. I can buy a suit off the rack and not have anything tailored. Tri bikes are tougher, I suspect because they only have one position. On a road bike you can shift and I typically ride in the drops, on the brake hoods, and one the tops, as well as on aerobars for most rides so I get some variety. On my tri bike I'm locked in and if that one position isn't good I'm in trouble.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None taken at all. I've got an extensive background in road racing dating back to the mid/late 80s and I worked in a high end road shop for 8 years while in college and grad school so i had the importance of fit drilled into me (you might say indoctrinated). I'm also relatively new to this tri thing (only 3 years or so). If it works for you, that's all that matters.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

davidd, You're funny! Just quoting you in this thread, and the previous "Winter fat" thread:

Giving you a hard time ;)

Scott
In Reply To:
Sorry if I missed it but has anyone ridden/reviewed any of these bikes? The Khan is the top o' the line but weighs a solid half pound more which guides me toward the Kredo. Then I throw the CR-1 in the mix and my decision becomes more muddled. Any experience with any of these bikes would be appreciated.

My use: I race road a bit mostly for triathlon fitness. I'll do a bunch of early season one day races and an early May stage race to get ready for summer triathlon.

Thanks in advance
In Reply To:
I gained about 20 last year and promised to not let it happen again. So far, so good. It's all about not eating until exhaustion. A little self control goes a long way.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kredo vs Khan vs Scott CR-1 [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mostly agree with that. Even on my TT bike, I shift my ass +/- 1", at least. No way I am fixed in one exact place for too long. My hands are all over my aero bars, up and down +/- 3". I try to get as comfortable as possible at any given time, climbing, descending, whatever.

Getting a bike to fit shouldn't be that difficult for the vast majority of people as many people on this forum seem to think. I had my best crit this summer on my wife's bike (56, I ride a 60). I jacked up the seat and let it rip. I realize doing an IM is dramatically different, but you get the point.

I do admit there is the psychological aspect to fit. It's dotting the Is and crossing the Ts. That's what Lance is famous for. But, I do believe you could swap out his stem and lower his saddle height 1 cm and he would still win and not be crippled.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kredo vs Khan vs Scott CR-1 [srgraves] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got me! But all things being equal, I might as well get the lightest bike my fat ass won't crush!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What not a Calfee Luna or Tetra???

-Stiffer than any other carbon frameset I have ever ridden. (Prior to ordering my Calfee I took test rides on: Cervelo R2.5, Giant Team TCR, Parlee Z2.) Scalpel like handling, made in the USA, custom ordered to your exact specs, and cheaper than all of the framesets you listed.

Mine looks like this but with clear coat on the lugs...

Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kredo vs Khan vs Scott CR-1 [garthic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Tetra was high on my list (there is a 58cm frame on their website going cheap!). I have a couple of guys on my team that ride Tetras. They think they are a little too soft. Super comfortable, great for long course triathlon, but sub-optimal for road racing. I even considered a custom Tetra, getting the BB and headtube extra wrapped for stiffness, but then it gets expensive and loses some of the great ride quality. Gorgeous American rig, I really wanted one. The Dragonfly is sick.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kredo vs Khan vs Scott CR-1 [garthic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I am certainly happy with my 2002 Tetra Pro, I wouldn't rate it as that stiff. I wouldn't say it's a noodle, but I wouldn't say that an immoveable BB is among the bikes traits. It just goes to show how variable these sort of subjective impressions can be.

A nice ride overall, it seems to go up the hills nicely, I'd prefer a bit more stability in the handling department than it offers.

It's perhaps a touch more 'comfortable' than my P2K, but really the comfort difference isn't that much between these two frames.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must be a powerhouse if you can flex a Calfee. But in that case, Craig does offer Super Stiff carbon tubes for an additional $95. Although it adds a little more weight, it is gonna prevent flex from even the biggest guys out there.

A racer from Team Zombies is about 6'5" and about 225 of pure muscle. He was CA State TT champion a few years in a row and would commonly break framesets at the bottom bracket. He is now riding a Calfee super stiff frameset. He says it is the only frame he cant flex...

Hope that helps...
Quote Reply