Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kuota Kaliber..change her for what?
Quote | Reply
She's getting a little old now (a few deep scratches, lacquer peeling in places, 5 years old, a ton of miles etc), been to Kona twice, and I love her. I love the geometry and the feel. But of course, being a bloody tri-hard person etc and the usual Type A 'Got to have it and it has to be new" person (who isn't in this sport?), I am thinking of the newer generation of tri frames. So, come on all you experts...what is a comparable frame and why?

Thanks and I am not posting any pics of me on her for you to take the piss out of!!

KK
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kaliber..change her for what? [sharkmankev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take your stack and reach, go to the charts, then bam! pick a bike.

P4
Shiv
SC
Scott Plasma

are the top tier bikes. Firecrest "type" wheels from Zipp, Hed, or Flo are a must. After that it's

PC3
New Felt DA
Giant
Specialized Transition

after that who knows.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkmankev wrote:
I love the geometry and the feel. I am thinking of the newer generation of tri frames. So, come on all you experts...what is a comparable frame and why?

KK

What about newer model?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait for it...wait for it...Cervelo P5. Not out yet, of course. But if they were smart they'd integrate some of Trek's ideas into it. A feature I like a lot is the integrated chain stay speed sensor. Brilliant. Or how about a hub that has a the magnet in its flange so that the chain-stay speed sensor can pick it up on the inside? That would be cool and more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fortunately for you, the Kaliber is not a very aerodynamic bike so you can't help but improve in that respect. If someone offered me a free bike under $2500, I'd take a P2. If they offered me a free bike without regard to price then I'd take a P4, but if you made me take a Speed Concept or Shiv then you wouldn't see me shedding many tears.
Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough to say.

As one person said, look at your frames stack and reach. Account for how your bike fits now (i.e. if you have 2cm of spacers, look for a little more stack; if you've got a 13cm stem, look for more reach). Look to current stack and reach charts, account for differences in front ends and shop.

The Kaliber I believe is pretty close in Stack and reach in many sizes to Felt, though if I were you I would want to wait until the next model year to see where their new DA technology ends up lower in the line/ if at all. A little taller but only marginally in most sizes is Trek, the Speed Concept 9 and 7 both seem fairly good, especially for long course racing; now that they've been on the market for a while the kinks have been worked out. I'd be curious about the Plasma 3's geometry in comparison as well.

As someone said, aerodynamically the Kaliber was not known as "best." So, in that regard you should see improvement. Likewise, most bikes today are as stiff as 5 years agos bikes. Ride quality can be more personal.

Personally, I have a Speed Concept 9.5 and the only bike that makes me a little curious is the Scott Plasma 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kaliber..change her for what? [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:
take your stack and reach, go to the charts, then bam! pick a bike.

P4
Shiv
SC
Scott Plasma

are the top tier bikes. Firecrest "type" wheels from Zipp, Hed, or Flo are a must. After that it's

PC3
New Felt DA
Giant
Specialized Transition

after that who knows.

Wow thanks for adding us to that list. I'll add that the new Reynolds RZR and the ENVE Smart System wheels are also in the "forward thinking" category.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kaliber..change her for what? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:

Wow thanks for adding us to that list. I'll add that the new Reynolds RZR and the ENVE Smart System wheels are also in the "forward thinking" category.

but theyre not clincher which is a huge deal breaker to most, hence why erics advice is golden

ericM35-39 wrote:
are the top tier bikes. Firecrest "type" wheels from Zipp, Hed, or Flo are a must.
Last edited by: SeasonsChange: Jul 5, 11 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Kuota Kaliber..change her for what? [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
Canadian wrote:

but theyre not clincher which is a huge deal breaker to most, hence why erics advice is golden

ericM35-39 wrote:

are the top tier bikes. Firecrest "type" wheels from Zipp, Hed, or Flo are a must.

Good point!

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply