Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kuai - World's first multisport biometric headphones
Quote | Reply
Hi there!

Have you seen this multisports headphones for triathlon?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/carlosmarco/kuai-worlds-first-multisport-biometric-headphones?ref=nav_search

The guys behind the product are triathletes and they already have working prototypes.

They have a Kickstarter starting orders at $99

The headphone has integrated hear rate monitor, accelerometer, and many other functions such training plans. It is 3 meters waterproof as well!

It seems perfect for training... Any toughts? I have pre-ordered one...
Quote Reply
Re: Kuai - World's first multisport biometric headphones [weboskilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Wearable technology is certainly developing at lightning speed. Last year, there was the Dash from Bragi, which is more of a headphone/music player with some biometrics.

Would wearing sun glasses with the Kuai be a problem, as it has a plastic piece wrapping around the ear?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hellobragi/the-dash-wireless-smart-in-ear-headphones/description

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuai - World's first multisport biometric headphones [weboskilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty cool. I think there will be some issues for getting triathletes on board, namely:

-You still need a watch for GPS and display.
-Lots of people don't wear headphones for running or biking.
-You can't use this in competition.

At the $100 kickstarter price however, it's a great deal for an MP3 player/waterproof bluetooth headphones/HRM.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Kuai - World's first multisport biometric headphones [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy in the picture from kickstarter is wearing glasses and the fit seems ok for him. Of course, it is very person related.

I saw Dash but I wonder why they are taking so long. Will the bluetooh work under water? and the touching screen? what about sweating and sweat hands? very low battery as well. Ant+ connectivity?
Quote Reply
Re: Kuai - World's first multisport biometric headphones [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to be very interesting. We are seeing a move from watches to other forms. I will be testing a pair of these n the fall. Interesting to see how they compare to the Recon Jet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dragging up an old(ish) thread here but I was hoping for an update.

I funded the project on Kickstarter years ago and so I now have the chance to either accept a sweat proof version or hold out (potentially indefinitely) for the water proof verision. My question is has anyone here taken the plunge and accepted the sweat proof version and if so do they really suck?

I ask this because Kuai has been marketing the hell out these things for years and now that they finally have a product everything has fallen silent. I can't find any reliable reviews of the actual product which is weird given how much hype they have repeatedly try to stir up with the likes the DCrainmaker etc. My current thinking is the product has serious issues so they don't want to send it out to reviewers and get panned. They are simply hoping they can sell enough sub-par to free up the cash needed to build the device they promised.

However as I have already thrown the money down the drain on this one so to speak (they have been adamant no refunds will every be offered) I wanted to know if I should go ahead and have them send a unit. The other option is to wait it out and see if they can produce a decent unit at the clear risk the company will just disappear one day and then I wont get anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuai - World's first multisport biometric headphones [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reviewing the product now.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuai - World's first multisport biometric headphones [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been waiting as well for the waterproof version. Definitely concerned that they're not going to be able to sort those issues out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I got the sweat proof version and it is amazing. It does what the Kuai team promised for running and biking. Looking forward to downloading the plans now.

Also, you can have further reviews in Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/...ones#customerReviews

It seems that I am not the only one in love with the product.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuai - World's first multisport biometric headphones [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to here. In case your it helps with the review my primary concerns are:

1) Do they stay in your ears? (I am aware this is a big issue with other similar products)

2) Does the HR monitor reliable record data? (With how I will use the unit I am actually not concerned with dropouts to a headunit as long as the data is being stored for later)

3) Is the battery sufficiently waterproof it's not going to fail in a few weeks/months of use running? Clearly the company is still having major issues with protecting the battery from water infiltration and it's unclear if the current units are actually OK or have been allowed onto the market even though they will fail.

4) Is the software stable when running? I am concerned that the complexities of the controls making it both impossible to fiddle with when working out and probe to randomly jumping songs etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be overly cynical but I have 0% confidence in those Amazon reviews.

From what I could see none of the reviewers actually bought the product on Amazon but rather got them on Indigogo or Kickstarter. So why would they leave a review on Amazon? Because they have additional vested interest in the product. I honestly don't even think Amazon should allow people to leave reviews of products they didn't buy via Amazon as its just lends itself to BS reviews.

If Tony has a unit though I bet a number of other experienced tester have one too and honest reviews are on their way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earbuds without bluetooth? I'll pass.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Kuai - World's first multisport biometric headphones [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have Bluetooth LE and Ant+ bidirectional. You can use your phone for music and calls etc or without phone with musics +++

You can read HR and all the rest of the data from the headphone in your watch of phone.

Super complete!

I have. Ren testing them since July and I can't imagine training without them... no need phone, HR strap, foodpod,...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

Let me reply as follows from my experience.

1) they stay well in place. No issues with that and I had some problems with other devices in the past. You can adjust easily and stay there.
At the beginning I needed some adaptation with he helmet on but now it is ok.

2) HR is very accurate in comparison with my HR strap from Garmin. Just make sure that it is well inside place... else HR tends to be high

3) after 1h use indicates 80% so quite happy with battery life. No issues with sweat proof f while I had a shower with them by mistake.

4) No issues with Software when using it. Some problems I found in previous versions of desk app. Joysticks are amazing and easy to use. Of course, I needed to study well the functions are get use to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm reviving this thread as I have been using a pair for a few months now and am interested to know if any other company will try and pick up the torch now that Kuai appears to have abandoned further development.

In order to make the product actually desirable it needs a functional and user friendly Garmin Connect App. This would:

1)Allow you to control the music from your wrist as well as design and implement workouts/targets quickly and then be able to modify them on the fly

2)Mean you could get notifications directly in your ear from your phone using the watch as a transfer without the need to have two Bluetooth connects active at the same time. (You can kinda already do this as I can set my Garmin to control the music on my phone via Garmin Connect and have the headphones connected to the phone so when I hit play on the watch it plays in my ear. It just needs to be a lot slicker and intuitive.)

3) Allow the device to be used as a running power meter when bundled with a cheap foot pod. Running power is just an algorithm so if you could licence the Garmin Algorithm you have a device that is far more capable than something like the Stryd at a cheaper price.

4)Greatly simplify the currently clumsy control system as you just control what you need directly from your watch.

If you made these changes I really do think you would be on to a winner. Sure the whole package will also need to be polished. The sound quality is poor and like many users I have one earphone which tends to come and go randomly. The charging is also iffy and software is atrocious. But the Kuai has provided a proof of concept/prototype of how one should proceed.

So is anyone doing something like this?
Quote Reply