Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big?
Quote | Reply
Blummenfelt is definitely one of the ITU stories of the year. I assume his run in Yoko was partially due to the relatively cooler weather, but still...to outrun guys like Alarza and all the (presumably) tapered guys trying to score points/ secure slots was very impressive.

Is he as big as he looks, or is his build deceptive? Obviously he isn't big for a regular person, but compared to the fast ITU runners he looks massive. Haven't been able to find height/ weight yet. It does appear that he has some track record of success as a junior, so he isn't coming out of nowhere.

Assuming he is significantly stockier than the other guys, what would it take physiologically to outrun them? Is that a VO2 max thing? At least with a guy like Brukhankov there's the stride length thing.

I'm not implying doping, just curious about the science-y side of this.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is not tall at all, 177cm (average Norwegians are 180, 6feet).
As far as I can find, his weight is around 73 kilo. http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/friidrett/Na-venter-en-ny-vinter-med-slanking-610454_1.snd

Last fall he had a VO2max of 86.9 https://www.instagram.com/p/-TyS39kR4z/

More about his test here http://www.bt.no/100Sport/friidrett/Na-narmer-bergensk-OL-hap-seg-Bjorn-Dahlies-ekstreme-kondisniva-644265_1.snd

He ran 29.45 so he must do something right.
Last edited by: Halvard: May 16, 16 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He doesn't look that much bigger...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add other than I was a fan of him as a junior and am excited to see him break through.

As far as body type - he's pretty thick. Anyone can go on his instagram and see he's pretty powerfully built. Fun to watch a guy like that tear it up.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - the first two charts I looked at indicated anything over 60 is excellent...

BMI (for whatever it is worth) is around 23 at those numbers you gave. On the higher end of normal, so no waif.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [ffips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffips wrote:
He doesn't look that much bigger...

He's got good body lean, at least in this pic. When he went off with Mola it was pretty impressive that he didn't fade more than he did. He's definitely built more like football player compared with Mola, who almost looks like he hasn't eaten in a week.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Wow - the first two charts I looked at indicated anything over 60 is excellent...

BMI (for whatever it is worth) is around 23 at those numbers you gave. On the higher end of normal, so no waif.

It will be interesting to see him on a hard bike course.
In Rio I expect him and the Brownlees to go hard on the bike to soften the others.

As far as I know his training is in line with a lot of endurance training in Norway, similar to xc-skiers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's definitely lost a lot of weight compared to a couple years ago, clearly with an eye to fixing his weakness, which was running. But to go from an uber-biker who would tend to immediately struggle in the run, to what he did in Yokohama is, well, pretty unbelievable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time to renew this post. So, was that a real 1:06 today, or the Frodo WC kind of 1:06 (according the shade Gomez threw, ha!)

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per the “70.3 Baharain will see a Norway 1-2-3?” thread, Iden Gustav had 21.1 km on his Strava.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

In Rio I expect him and the Brownlees to go hard on the bike to soften the others.

As far as I know his training is in line with a lot of endurance training in Norway, similar to xc-skiers.

Not sure if that is a nice reference to give considering that at least two of the top names are dopers (Johaug, Sundby) and many seem to have TUE's...
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
Halvard wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

Not sure if that is a nice reference to give considering that at least two of the top names are dopers (Johaug, Sundby) and many seem to have TUE's...

Say no more...
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
He's definitely lost a lot of weight compared to a couple years ago, clearly with an eye to fixing his weakness, which was running. But to go from an uber-biker who would tend to immediately struggle in the run, to what he did in Yokohama is, well, pretty unbelievable.

I don't see the weight loss, solid as ever on my TV. Everything I read has him either 76-77 kg. Which is very heavy for his height.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Dec 8, 18 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's got quite some palmares already!

Junior euro Cross County championship runner

Olympic tri Rio

50 itu races, about half of those podiums, and about a third of those podiums are golds

And now several 70.3 wins including the world record fwiw.

From wikipedia:
Blummenfelt trains up to eight hours a day, swimming up to 45 km, cycling about 400 km and running up to 120 km per week.
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
Halvard wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

Hey that is an unfair association. I think Halvard was just pointing to his training to be similar to XC skiers. It's not Blummenfelt's fault that some athletes from his country got busted for doping. No one should be painted with the doping brush just because of countrymen/women who got busted. This athlete is pretty amazing and he's still so young. Lots of room to keep getting better. Everyone should be scared of him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When watching him on TV we've always remarked on how much he looks like a Middle Weight NCAA wrestler rather than a runner or swimmer. Pure chunky muscle added to great athleticism and speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He might be eating cake as we speak. He’s giving us fatties false hope. Lol! I might have to re-think ratcheting down my diet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the karma from interviewing on The Brick Session!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

Really?

https://scientifictriathlon.com/tts154/
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you give all Russians the benifit of the doubt?

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
So you give all Russians the benifit of the doubt?

Interesting logic.
If a country has athletes that have been caught doping, every athletes are doping.

Do you trust Americans.
It is free for all doping in the USA. Just look at high school sport and all the professional sports.

So by following your logic.
Every good American athlete is a doper.

Thank you, that is good to now.

And I am sorry someone pooped in your Christmas stocking, but it is explaining your grumpy mood.
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
markko wrote:
Halvard wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

Hey that is an unfair association. I think Halvard was just pointing to his training to be similar to XC skiers. It's not Blummenfelt's fault that some athletes from his country got busted for doping. No one should be painted with the doping brush just because of countrymen/women who got busted. This athlete is pretty amazing and he's still so young. Lots of room to keep getting better. Everyone should be scared of him.

It wasnt meant as an association regarding Blumenfelt, it was rather to point out that when a reference to Norwegian xc-country skiing is made, the association that (non-Norwegians?) make might not be to a clean sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just asking the question since history has said other wise in more recent years. It was honestly a general question and not one to doubt the Norwegians. Because yes, by that logic then every single country is full of dopers. That’s not the case.

I’ll be the first to say the US has a big doping problem. I don’t give a shit if they are American. I’m not blinded by a country flag in these onservations. I agree with you that the big college and pro sports in America are full of dopers. That’s probably a very accurate statement. Have you seen the size of the football players? It’s not natural.

If you stood back and placed a Russian flag on some tri athletes and their performances recently, then you may feel differently about my negativity.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Last edited by: mungub50: Dec 9, 18 5:55
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [sryke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sryke wrote:
Halvard wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

Really?

Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting that they swim 35,000-45,000 meters/week. That's a lot of swimming espec when combined with up to 400 km/wk on the bike and up to 120 km/wk on the run. Also of interest is that they'll do sets like 3 x 1500 m at same intensity.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Kristian Blummenfelt - so fast...so big? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
sryke wrote:
Halvard wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

Really?

Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting that they swim 35,000-45,000 meters/week. That's a lot of swimming espec when combined with up to 400 km/wk on the bike and up to 120 km/wk on the run. Also of interest is that they'll do sets like 3 x 1500 m at same intensity.

For these guys 40000m is just a bit over 11 hours. Let's assume a 25 hour training week, and that they generally run 14-15 kph jogging, so the 120km is only 8 more hours. So now we're up to only 19 hours. We'll also assume that they probably are trianing more like 30 hours than 25 hours, so that's another 11 hours for riding.

The "smart" thing about doing more swimming is that they can actually jack up the highest possible cardio load with less of a recovery penalty vs running. I bet their average cardio is much higher on their steady swims and certainly on their interval swims than the miniscule amount of intensity they can do running. Sure on biking they can do a lot of intensity and when you go hard on the bike you can go really hard, but the other 80 percent of the time riding the intensity is waaaaaay lower than low intensity swimming.

So you can see how the swim heavy program accrues way more cardio adaptation than either bike or run and they are doing sufficient bike and run to do really well at those legs (yes, I am sold on the swim volume being much higher intensity than you can do in the other sports).
Quote Reply

Prev Next