Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona watching setup
Quote | Reply
For those of us mortals, who are neither skilled nor fortunate enough to participate in the big dance next week, what is your Kona watching setup?

I plug my laptop into the HDMI port of my 50" in the living room so I can watch whilst plopped down on the couch. I also will have my wife's laptop on the coffee table with two windows open, one with the live timing and stats, and one with the slowtwitch thread.

Traditionally, for lunch, I grill up some teriyaki coconut marinated steaks with grilled green onions and pineapple accompanied by a side of mango quinoa salad. This has to be washed down with freshly made pina coladas, of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------
There is only one thing in the world worse than being witty....and that is not being witty.

Sponsored in 2013 by: Epix Gear, CompresSport and Team Aquaphor
Quote Reply
Re: Kona watching setup [TRICLOPICUS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about doing the laptop into the big screen deal but in the end I watch in my office. In there I've got a TV tuned to college football (OU sucks). I then have the live Kona feed on my 27 inch iMac. On my laptop I have a several windows open (live timing, stats, twitter feeds, etc). I then surf Slowtwitch on my iPad. I don't have to worry about the kids running around making noise all day long.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My TV is my computer monitor, so I will just be streaming it on that all day :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most likely will just stream it on my laptop.. order a large pizza and drink beer... and think to myself.. better luck next year haha...

but seriously

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRICLOPICUS wrote:
For those of us mortals, who are neither skilled nor fortunate enough to participate in the big dance next week, what is your Kona watching setup?

The first dual meet of the season, as well as the first day of the Bike MS Ride to the River, are both the same day as Kona, so I will be unable to watch most of it. However, before I am to leave for the meet, the missus has left explicit instructions to have tech set up in advance. So, connected for her will be...
  • Macbook Pro with HDMI output to the 42" tele
  • iPad refreshing official Kona thread(s) & Twitter
  • iPhone for sending text updates to me while I'm on deck

I'm hoping to make it back home before the men's winner crosses.

As for food, Pumpkin-oriented cold ones and the neighborhood pizzeria should get us through the day.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fortunate enough to have some good friends who has a 100" projection screen on which we will be streaming the whole race. With that I will have my laptop and Iphone on which I will be following updates on slowtwitch/ Ironmanlive.

We will probably order some pizza and then just sit back and relax and enjoy the show.

Go hard or go home

2xu.com, adidas eyewear. Vitargo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Computer hooked up to 49" plasma TV in my garage (man cave) with a keg of beer in the kegerator I have in the garage. 20-30 coming over to watch throughout the day with prop-wages going on as well.

Train to race. Race to win.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona watching setup [Hampenator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap - now I feel like I am doing it all wrong... 100"? That is just epic...

I just plug my laptop into the TV and check slowtwitch on my iPad when I feel the need.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona watching setup [dseiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what kind of hash tags are we looking at this year? Who's good to follow on Twitter?

as for me, (and unless I can send to the Apple TV from the desktop):

• it's an HDMI to the 42" from my MacBook Air,
  • an iPad (w/ wireless keyboard) for ST,
  • a backup iPad for IM Live athlete tracker, and IM Live text updates, and Twitter if I can figure out how to use it (yes, a dinosaur I know!)
good luck all, spectating Kona is no easy task! Be sure to eat a good breakfast, stay hydrated, and watch your electrolytes!

dseiler wrote:
TRICLOPICUS wrote:

The first dual meet of the season, as well as the first day of the Bike MS Ride to the River, are both the same day as Kona, so I will be unable to watch most of it. However, before I am to leave for the meet, the missus has left explicit instructions to have tech set up in advance. So, connected for her will be...

• Macbook Pro with HDMI output to the 42" tele
  • iPad refreshing official Kona thread(s) & Twitter
  • iPhone for sending text updates to me while I'm on deck

I'm hoping to make it back home before the men's winner crosses.

As for food, Pumpkin-oriented cold ones and the neighborhood pizzeria should get us through the day.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Sounds like a great setup . . . are you inviting us over? The mango quinoa sounds awesome!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRICLOPICUS wrote:

I plug my laptop into the HDMI port of my 50" in the living room so I can watch whilst plopped down on the couch. I also will have my wife's laptop on the coffee table with two windows open, one with the live timing and stats, and one with the slowtwitch thread.

Traditionally, for lunch, I grill up some teriyaki coconut marinated steaks with grilled green onions and pineapple accompanied by a side of mango quinoa salad. This has to be washed down with freshly made pina coladas, of course.

This year will be the laptop into the tv (hdmi), and the tablet for the slowtwitch thread.

Although, I have two other laptops and a desktop unit that I could arrange...hrm...

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What time does it start? (Central)

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Kona watching setup [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Wow! Sounds like a great setup . . . are you inviting us over? The mango quinoa sounds awesome!

In case you're interested:

Quinoa Mango Salad
2 cups of water
1 cup of uncooked quinoa
2 cups of cubed, peeled mangoes
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 dried cranberries
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1. Combine water and quinoa in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 to 12 min until all water is absorbed. Stir; let stand, covered, 15 minutes. Transfer to large bowl; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
2. Add mango, green onions, cranberries, and parsley to quinoa; mix well.
3. Combine oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in small bowl; whisk until blended. Pour over quinoa mixture; mix until well blended.

Allow to stand at room temp. for at least 30 min before serving. This stuff is like crack cocaine. One taste, and you'll be licking the bowl clean in about 30 seconds LOL.

There is only one thing in the world worse than being witty....and that is not being witty.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much! My wife will love it… Enjoy the race!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the wife will probably limit the amount of time I get to sit in front of a computer on a nice day...it will be a pretend case of diarrhea and a laptop in the bathroom.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona watching setup [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:
what kind of hash tags are we looking at this year? Who's good to follow on Twitter?

as for me, (and unless I can send to the Apple TV from the desktop):

• it's an HDMI to the 42" from my MacBook Air,
  • an iPad (w/ wireless keyboard) for ST,
  • a backup iPad for IM Live athlete tracker, and IM Live text updates, and Twitter if I can figure out how to use it (yes, a dinosaur I know!)
good luck all, spectating Kona is no easy task! Be sure to eat a good breakfast, stay hydrated, and watch your electrolytes!

You sir, are SET UP! I'm coming over :D
Quote Reply
Re: Kona watching setup [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the pros start at 6:30 I think, but the broadcast starts an hour before if I'm not mistaken. So HI is 3 hours behind pacific standard. The broadcast should start 10:30 and the race at 11:30 central, I would think.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quick question: where are you guys streaming Kona from?
first year for me to watch it :D
Quote Reply
Re: Kona watching setup [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanlive.com or universal sports I think....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I might catch some online (end of the marathon for the men through to the women's podium), but really I will be out riding for several hours and then swimming. Why would I give up a great day to train to sit and watch people do what I would rather be doing (not meant to be harsh). Plus, I don't really have the desire (skill) to connect my laptop to my monster TV.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Kona watching setup [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can believe it someone in my family thought that it was a good day to get married!! I know, right, people these days....

Anyway my rig will consist of a 3G iPad with an aux cable hooked up in my car for the 4.5 hour drive. Not to mention accessories which include an iPod w/ headphones to keep my wife from bitching the entire way.

Does the live feed get recorded anywhere? I would really like to watch the finishing line at midnight, but that isn't going to be in the cards for me this year I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make that this weekend. Sounds great!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona watching setup [netzer0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you can find the live coverage on the imlive's web page for a couple of days (or longer if I remember correctly) after the race.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Kona watching setup [njosey17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, as I said, I'm fortunate to have friends with those kinds of gadgets! If I was to watch this by myself it would be me and my laptop..

Go hard or go home

2xu.com, adidas eyewear. Vitargo
Quote Reply

Prev Next