Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona VRBO host just canceled on me…
Quote | Reply
Appears prices are now 5x for race week Oct 1 - 10.
Made my reservation Sep 2021.

I need 2 beds.

Current prices are nuts and this is not sustainable. Makes StG look like a far better venue and IM will use this as a justification for sure - I think they should.

Note - prices are per night!

Last edited by: scca_ita: Jul 5, 22 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Presumably they canceled because prices are now much higher and they’ll just reoffer? Either way, that’s a real bummer.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s terrible, wish I had an option to help out.

So far, I’ve been lucky with using VRBO to rent race destination lodgings. Never had a cancellation or post-reservation price increase.

But given the demand for housing race week, does anybody know what would keep VRBO from cancelling a reservation and then listing and renting the place for more outside that platform?

That said, can you report the cancellation to VRBO and have them watch the listing to see if it comes back on the site at a higher price?

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The management realtor company told me that if the owner re lists the property on VRBO or AirBB they will be blocked what ever that means. I will likely bag the race and can’t imagine anyone prioritizing this kind of money although there appears to be a market. Still 100s of slots still to be allocated and good luck on the “Kona Experience” ….. I am starting to believe we are all suckers. Probably the first thing IM says when negotiating a new race venue…. These athletes will pay anything…. Huge local GDP influx LOL 😂 Eyes on a MT Bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's very sad to miss your dream over there in Kona, wish I had something more to offer, but prices over there right now are just crazy, I have stopped looking myself to go anytime. To think back in the early 80's when we used to go for Ironman condo was less than most of those prices today for a week. Best of luck to you. LA Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will likely need book up at Waikoloa area, I got something there. I’ve hired car which costs heaps too.

I am hoping Ironman run race day buses to get us to the venue start though as there are going to be a lot of people trying to get into town for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit. Feel really bad about that for you. My booking is with Tripadvisor: hope do not get a bad surprise either.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 6, 22 0:30
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Price gouging for sure. I used to stay at the cockroach inn called Kona Islander for $75/night back in the late 90’s early 2000’s. Time to move the WC around. A place that isn’t so limited on housing.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates on 2023 WC? Consensus at StG in May was that they would wait for 2 day Kona to be a success (in the minds of locals) and become the norm. That will mean qualifying races will start in September without a clear word on number of slots or venue.

I hate the two day Kona. It has devalued the accomplishment and made this all about who is ready to spend the money.

I’ve been a staunch defender of Kona being the sole WC venue, but with the two day version, it might be best just to rotate the damn thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happened to me too about 6 weeks ago. The lister said "whoops, we double booked for the time you're here". Ended up rebooking in Puako/Waikoloa area. Not as cheap as the orignal booking but not the $3k a night to stay in Kailua-Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has always been about who has the money in my opinion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just cancelled my condo and flight last night if anyone is looking. It's VRBO property #373810ha, a studio.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Any updates on 2023 WC? Consensus at StG in May was that they would wait for 2 day Kona to be a success (in the minds of locals) and become the norm. That will mean qualifying races will start in September without a clear word on number of slots or venue.

I hate the two day Kona. It has devalued the accomplishment and made this all about who is ready to spend the money.

I’ve been a staunch defender of Kona being the sole WC venue, but with the two day version, it might be best just to rotate the damn thing.

Just to provide a bit of counterpoint (of course, everyone entitled to their own opinion):

This is my first year racing Kona. I don't have any problem with it being a two day event (I'm racing Thursday in 50-54... which I actually prefer, as I'll get to spectate MPRO race).

I'm looking forward to the experience immensely. What could be rotten for some people will be awesome to me. To be honest, I don't care what people's experiences were in the past. I'm interested in my experience now.

Hawaii is expensive. It was when we went there on vacation last year. Prices we locked in are the same for Kona.

I'm a competitive AGer - top 3/5/10/15 in my AG for just about every full and 70.3 IM race I've ever done for the last 15+ years. I have little interest in a WC other than Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got sick to my stomach when I started booking our trip to Kona. First time racing and probably last until my kids are moved out. I would not have chose to go if my wife hadn't talked me into it. I'm looking forward to getting the Kona experience over and racing other locations. It's too damn expensive for us.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:

I know it is more expensive for people coming from outside the US, but for a middle class American, you can afford to do Kona in a normal year. I know a teacher that does it every year.

Do you have to fly the whole family over? Do you need to drop major coin at the expo? Do you have to stay at the Four Seasons? No. Just make it a priority and save elsewhere in life.

Have you ever been to Disney World? I don’t know where those customers come from. Thousands of people are burning more cash being there on a given day than a triathlete doing Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xheck to see if the Konabillfisher has any units.
It is in an excellent location and a mile from the start
Its a timeshare condo unit and the parking lot is 15% full at most Kona races.

We bought a unit in 2014 and stayed there every year they held the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly seem to be - the konabillfisher website has some availability - as below. I'd tend to think that's not terrible for a week.

B2 September 15th-29th & October 6th-13th 2022
GORGEOUS unit with partial OCEAN VIEWS! 1BR 1 BA with Kitchen. Sleeps 4 and a shorter walk to downtown! The weekly price during Iron Man is $1000.
Asking $125 a day, $600 a week
Please contact <x> at <number> <x@email.com?
Exp: 09/01/2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened to me in April. Booked Dec 2019 for 2020 at a super low price. said it was sold??? but pretty sure they just wanted the extra $800 a night. WHY hotels > VRBO

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a blast. Earning a KQ in '17, then finishing Kona was totally worth it. No kidding, I only bought a coffee cup, and a bunch of priceless memories.
Enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I travel to Hawaii every year.
When looking at prices this summer and next spring, we're almost at the point where we won't return.
I can always find decent flight prices, but everything else has gone absurd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
sidelined wrote:

I know it is more expensive for people coming from outside the US, but for a middle class American, you can afford to do Kona in a normal year. I know a teacher that does it every year.

Do you have to fly the whole family over? Do you need to drop major coin at the expo? Do you have to stay at the Four Seasons? No. Just make it a priority and save elsewhere in life.

Have you ever been to Disney World? I don’t know where those customers come from. Thousands of people are burning more cash being there on a given day than a triathlete doing Kona.

it's different this year. my first kona was the first kona, in 1981. i've been there three-fourths of the years since, and this'll be my 15th or 16th consecutive i think, or thereabouts. this is not like any other year, because there are twice as many athletes racing, which means twice as many families and so on. the prices are outrageous. ridiculous. like, double or triple. because i knew this was going to happen i got my condo and paid for it more than a year before the race was going to take place. of course i'm waiting for this host to figure it out and try to wiggle out of it, even though i paid in advance last september.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you get to write it off as a business expense? 😂
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Don't you get to write it off as a business expense? 😂

yup. i'm laughing all the way to Park Place.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Kona VRBO host just canceled on me… [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
this is not like any other year, because there are twice as many athletes racing, which means twice as many families and so on. the prices are outrageous. ridiculous. like, double or triple.

Huge rolldowns because of that here in Europe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next