Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona Training... December
Quote | Reply
I'm going to the Big Island for 10 days starting Tuesday and am doing a mini-camp to jump start my season. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

I'll be taking a road bike, but will probably ride with clip-ons on some days to work on aero positioning.

1) What gears should I bring for riding both up to Volcano & for the Kona to Hawi ride?

2) Where is the best pool near Kona to either swim with a club or get an open lane?

3) Any thing special I should bring to swim in the ocean? (beside goggles obviously!)

4) Anyone interested in doing long rides on 27 / 28 / 29?

Thanks in advance...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Training... December [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm going to the Big Island for 10 days starting Tuesday and am doing a mini-camp to jump start my season. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

I'll be taking a road bike, but will probably ride with clip-ons on some days to work on aero positioning.

1) What gears should I bring for riding both up to Volcano & for the Kona to Hawi ride?
Contact Bike Works (808) 326-BIKE and talk with the manager Jonathan or one of the mechanics Darrin. They can give you a some good advice about gearing.
2) Where is the best pool near Kona to either swim with a club or get an open lane?
Two choices for pools. One is less than a mile from The Pier and the King Kam Hotel, called the Kona Aquatic Center. It's a public facility, free to use always lots of lanes, and Kona Aquatics Masters meets there. Call coach Steve Borowski (808) 334-0083 for masters work out times. The other option is The Club in Kona, two blocks up Palani Road from The Pier and King Kam Hotel. B&L Bikes shares the building with them, plus for a short stay membership you get use of the four lane pool in the back (see my previous post A Day In The Life of Football Mom), plus use of the gym and locker room.
3) Any thing special I should bring to swim in the ocean? (beside goggles obviously!) Goggles and a bright colored swim cap are the best safety items. Best not to swim solo if you're not familiar with open water swimming. There are usually people swimming in the mornings between 7 and 8 a.m. at The Pier. Other nice place to swim up up North at Hapuna Beach where the Honu Triathlon will start.

4) Anyone interested in doing long rides on 27 / 28 / 29? See answer to #1, they can tell you if the Cycling Club is up to anything or anyone else riding on those days. Fellow Slowtwitcher Tai is going to be on Island (Hilo side) during that time and was planning on coming over to the Kona side to ride. Also, on the 26th there is a short Peaman Biathlon, 8 a.m. at The Pier. 1/2 mile swim, 4 mile run. No application or entry fee, just show up and you sign out when you're done. Fun local event. You can contact me for further info. You training for anything specific?

Quote | Reply
Thkx Football Mom -

thanks for the advice. I'm training for IM-NZ. I've been on & off about doing the race (I'll be in NZ anyway so it was like a little add-on) and will make my final decision today (after my 2 hour run).

Thanks for the advice about swimming. I'm a good open water swimmer but will bring my brightest cap for sure! good idea. I can't make the Biathlon unfortunately since I'll be in Volcano on the night of the 25th. But i will swim most mornings I'm in Kona. I like the idea of The Club since then I can lift a bit as well.

I just heard from someone else as well so will try to confirm some of my riding schedule so I can post here and try to get a group going. I think I'm going to try and ride the whole course on the 29th if I can. I've got someone who can drive support so we can really make a full day of it for anyone who's interested.

cheers!
Quote Reply