Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Swim Start Change
Quote | Reply
Is this old news? Didn't see a thread on it.

https://www.triathlete.com/...ip-swim-start_378670

ETA:

See the new start times below.
6:25 MPRO
6:30 FPRO
6:35 PC OPEN / HC
6:55 M18-39
7:00 M40-44
7:05 M45-49
7:10 M50+
7:15 F18-39
7:20 F40-54
7:25 F55+
7:30 Legacy

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Last edited by: hadukla: Jun 10, 19 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a step in the right direction.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only thing I don't like is that M50+ starts before F18-39. I know there are still some fast M50-59 but that really should be flipped.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the whole menā€™s AG field other than legacies start within 15 minutes of each other? I can see that breaking up some of the early bike course congestion, but not by much.

Now good swimmers from later start groups have to navigate through slower swimmers. In light of current swimming mortality issues, is adding more passing in the swim better than congestion on the bike?

I would just keep the mass start as it is. The draft packs suck, so just give out more penalties.

Interesting to see legacies treated as their own sub-group. How about tossing the XC racers, corporate sponsors, Ventum buyers, middle eastern military division winners in there too? I think the legacy racers have more validity than many of those others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Only thing I don't like is that M50+ starts before F18-39. I know there are still some fast M50-59 but that really should be flipped.

Or just put an extra 5 minute gap in there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And there you have it... They pussied up Kona, just call it Muddy Buddy now. Plus, an old fashion AG start no less, not even a rolling start or seed yourself. What a crock of S#!T. Please change the name from Ironman to something like a Tinman or Aluminum Man.
Last edited by: terrtri: Jun 10, 19 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's old news to anyone who has ever done Challenge Roth.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [terrtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:
Plus, an old fashion AG start no less, not even a rolling start or seed yourself.

At least everyone (beside legacy) is racing heads up. It is a World Championship afterall.........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow some hostility on this thread. Maybe some yoga followed by a relaxation class for those people!

I see this being good for a few reasons based on conversations I've had with my numerous Kona athletes

1. for the fastest swimmers (54-56) it's going to be less of a boxing match. In a normal IM if you swim in that time frame it's pretty lonely. At Kona it's not.
2. If you're on a rescue board this makes saving a life a lot easier. Hopefully some of you high strung individuals won't need saving.
3. if you're a pretty decent swimmer <57 and can only ride 4:50 it's probably going to reduce the # of people you're riding with. Now it's not going to eliminate drafting completely, there are too many racers & not enough course or not enough course for the # of athletes, you choose. We should see smaller draft packs

Drawbacks:
The older/more vulnerable athletes, older women, back 30% of the race it's not uncommon for them to shove everyone into the bike lane, not uncommon to run out of stuff at the last few bike aid stations and those athletes are also least able to handle heat yet they are going to be out there in the heat a bit longer.

Finally for those who hate change, it's inevitable. This race will look different in 10 years then it did last year or will look this year. Change is like time, you can't stop it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do find it appalling if its correct that they run out at aid stations - FFS It's the world champs, and they take a shhiitoad of money off people. And its been run for several decades. They need to over-stock not under stock.

I've been involved in running a feed station on an independent full distance race for the past 3 or 4 years, where the station is not immediately accessed by car, and gets 'hit' 4 times in the race by each athlete.
We have NEVER run out of what is promised to athletes.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Jun 10, 19 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [terrtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can imagine the negative energy you bring into transition on race mornings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11 cannon shots!

hadukla wrote:
Is this old news? Didn't see a thread on it.

https://www.triathlete.com/...ip-swim-start_378670

ETA:

See the new start times below.
6:25 MPRO
6:30 FPRO
6:35 PC OPEN / HC
6:55 M18-39
7:00 M40-44
7:05 M45-49
7:10 M50+
7:15 F18-39
7:20 F40-54
7:25 F55+
7:30 Legacy

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and those athletes are also least able to handle heat yet they are going to be out there in the heat a bit longer. //

Actually when you think about it, the will be out there less in the heat. All those folks already spend all day on the course, and then into the night. This will just extend their night time hours when it is much cooler. If it were a 70.3 I would agree, but it is not, and beating the sunset is not in the cards for most of those older folks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand they're trying to go fastest to slowest, but they've still got well over half the entire field starting within 10 minutes. If the ambition is to break up the bike packs, as surely it is, you'd think they would separate M18-49 more.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how this will affect swim warm-ups.

Also, no more wide left!!! That was my go-to move every year. May it rest in peace.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good change. It won't solve everything but I look forward to see how this turns out!
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL the Middle East Military winner/KING will go on the MPRO start so he can have a fair race behind his motorcycle crew on the bike. The rumor was that last year he was afraid for his safety. Off course if he does not win the military division he will be awarded with the XC World Championship division. Am I mixing the fake news from last year with the predictions from this year? Sorry mate
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the strong 50+ bikers need to focus on improving their slingshotting skills. Will change the dynamics on the bike course but not the drafting. I will miss you Sam flying by me at mile 15 on the bike 4 mph faster with 10 other guys grabbing your wheel trying to hang onšŸ˜‰
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™d be upset at a regular IM if they ran out at an aid station let alone Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

At least they are TRYING to do something new. Just like the run course when we had T2 at the Kona Surf and the legendary "Pitt" to climb out of. It's a change and they're trying to make it more fair. Although, it does put older athletes in a position of getting in a slightly hotter or windier part of the day, and especially for the older athletes, that can be an issue. However, the break up of packs is hopefully the driving force. Solve one issue, create another. But it isn't necessarily a "forever" thing. Apt to change depending on how successful it is, just like everything else.

If you complain about everything (which is your choice, if you demand the best product and have issues with that product), you may as well throw in the old...Kona used to be $100 entry, now it's no longer the Ironman World Championship--it's the Ironman RICH MAN's World Championship." The best are not necessarily there...it's the best RICH athletes who are racing it. Not a good slant on it? Well..that's sorta what you're doing--not a fair assessment of something that hasn't even really taken place yet in Kona. Let's at least wait a year to see how it affects results, safety, etc. before we pass a judgment on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Actually when you think about it, the will be out there less in the heat. All those folks already spend all day on the course, and then into the night. This will just extend their night time hours when it is much cooler.

They have to sit around waiting for their start, it increases their total day and their total exposure to elements. In effect it wouldn't surprise me to see a +20min delta on average finishing times for 55+ women and at least 8-15 min for women in general due to the changes.

The group that really gets dinged are the fastest age group women. I know the one I coach who decided to go is pissed bc now she starts an hour later, will deal with more wind/heat and will end up swimming through > 500 people between the 18-39 women, 50+ men and I'll bet $1000 that she catches at least 52 45-49 men.....she's a sub 9:30 IM type...any takers?

On the whole while I agree with wave starts yet I think they could have ordered them better to get everyone on & off the course sooner, not penalized the oldest women, reduced the impact to the most vulnerable and make the race more fair.

No matter what though with this decision WTC was going to piss off certain groups of people while making others happy. Will be interesting to see the unintended consequences of Every Man Jack's push for this.

(why do you hate women WTC? I kid or do I hmmm?)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F55+ start 5 minutes later than they would have in the old format (AG women started at 7:20 am last year).

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jun 10, 19 16:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll never do Kona again.

The mass start is probably the best part of doing Kona.

This sport is becoming so soft. Can't be long until the swim gets canceled now.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Start Change [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thereā€™s always Norseman or Alaskaman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone else pointed out, the last start really is not that much longer than it was before. And there is a 25 minute gap from the fast AG men to the pro women, so they should not be interfering in the money race until the run, so best one could hope for on the women pro side. And as to making the older set have a longer day, tell me who isn't up by 3 to 3;30 am race morning already. In the aggregate, they will just be running a few minutes later at the coolest time of the entire race, so not a bad deal either.

And the fast to slow is just about as fair overall as you can make it, this will have the least passing going on the bike. And good news is that speeds by all the front of each group, should be much faster than the trailing folks, so there can be actual passes and not suck ons as the snowball rolls down the hill. And plenty of room over there too for passing, so I think they have set the stage for a much more fair race overall, and certainly an easier one to Marshall. Always better to keep big groups from forming in the first place, than trying to break them up later on.

Of course there are arguments to complain for each and every age group. I can hear all the younger men screaming now, about the massive tailwind that they just missed coming back, and pushed the women all the way home after they exited the course... (-;

And you will be right in that the older AG's are going to have slower times overall comparative, they will be swimming and riding more alone than they have in 30+ years. A by product of a more fair race, slower times..
Quote Reply

Prev Next