Here's the bottom line:

Swim: 1:02.40
T1: 2:42
Bike: 4:53.12
T2: 2:31
Run: 3:02.21
Total: 9:03.26

3rd place in M35-39.

So as to not get in some silly discussion on here about how *my* training got me to this result without any intimate knowledge of my past training and racing history, I left out the "this is what you should do to podium at Kona" schpeel. This race report is a pretty straight-forward recap of the day.

Of course, as I have in the past, I'm open to questions about race execution and what worked for me during my preparation and how I dissected the race to achieve the result on Saturday.

Enjoy.

Re: Kona Race Report...podium finish M35-39...9:03.26 [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great report and congrats on 3rd. i hope to be at that level one day
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report...podium finish M35-39...9:03.26 [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude. That. Was. Awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report...podium finish M35-39...9:03.26 [cliffk110] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow congrats did you improve on last years age group placing??

Call of Duty
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report...podium finish M35-39...9:03.26 [cliffk110] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a stud. Nicely done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve,

Great RR and congratulations on an amazing race. It's always special in an IM race to put it all together and it come out perfect.

Tip - your blog is kind of hard on the eyes to read. Suggestion - clean it up and take out a lot of back-ground stuff so that the text pops more and is easier to read.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. I'm most impressed with that 3:02 marathon. That is a well-executed day. Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is very impressive, my man. Really loved the pic of the bowl...I want one of those. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent race, fantastic write up.
Out of curiosity, what kind of milage do you have for the year since january on the bike, pool and running?
Unreal feat!.......I look forward to following you next season.

One more question....to have such an amazing season....so you have a full time job to put in these hours....plus a wife and newborn?
How do you juggle your time commitments?.....I would love some advice?
Thanks,

and congrats again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic!!!! Thanks for the write-up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uhh. Would like to read it but it's tough with that background & font color combination. Ever thought about making it a little more contrasty?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report...podium finish M35-39...9:03.26 [Aralo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aralo wrote:
Uhh. Would like to read it but it's tough with that background & font color combination. Ever thought about making it a little more contrasty?
I agree... had to skim due to the akwardness of reading. Think it was the font over different background colors that made it hard.
Great job tho!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome awesome job!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report...podium finish M35-39...9:03.26 [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another amazing race Steve. You looked super comfortable on your way out of the Energy Lab. How did you find the run conditions compared to last year?

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Last edited by: sesel: Oct 12, 11 23:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oki question for you - you flatted like 6 times just before the race; didn't you think of changing the tires?

i am asking cause i recently changed to tangentes 21s and I flatted in a race (which never happened before; roads were bit rouch but free of any debris), i checked the tire there was no cuts etc and really didnt have time to inspect the latex tube during the race

asking cause i am seriously considering ditching those
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job Steve.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your blog didn't mention the nutrition you did on the run? It looks like you even split the marathon or very close, did you?

Congrats on a great finish and day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the write-up. Very interesting read! I would second (or third?) the comments on the blog and readability. Congrats on your race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are an animal. Inspiring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is something in that water in Boulder ;) Nice work, very impressive!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful race. Huge performance when it counted the most. Congratulations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't wait to read. Congrats! That's a fabulous time.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next